Idea for a virtual and true ENGINEMASTERS CHALLENGE

-

RAMM

Reaction score
I've got a wild idea that was spurned on by the UTG/DV/Andy deal and my experience with EMC.

Since EMC is no more I've been really missing the whole thought exercise of it. So I figure in the age of Youtube, ZOOM, TEAMS meetings, and online collaborations WHY couldnt a engine building challenge still take place? The engine build rules are easy-we can talk about that later.

Here's what I'm thinking:

1. We contact some youtubers with engine building content and we all agree to build an engine within a set of rules.

2. On the date of competition we dyno test the engines . Same as EMC avghp/tq + / ci x1000 equals score.

3. The engine then gets shipped off to a fellow contestant for dyno testing. We can keep this honest a couple of ways but we need more than 2 contestants. I want to discuss this further

4. For obvious reasons I'd like to make this Mopar specific but at the very least it should be kept to inline valve only. This eliminates convolution with Hemi/Canted designs.

4.a. A friend of mine had a great idea with Nick's garage in mind. Since he builds a lot of 440,s Why don't we agree to build 440,s with ALL stock parts- It wouldn't be hard to make up a parts list that could not be violated and was also available.

I figure we could limit this to youtubers within Canada for the first goround for logistical reasons. We would need to generate some income via sponsorship to cover engine shipping if they are going to travel cross country at the very least. J.Rob

P.s. Mods feel free to move this if you don't want this in this sub-forum.

Sounds like a fun idea for someone with way deeper pockets than I. I'll be watching.

I've got a wild idea that was spurned on by the UTG/DV/Andy deal and my experience with EMC.

Since EMC is no more I've been really missing the whole thought exercise of it. So I figure in the age of Youtube, ZOOM, TEAMS meetings, and online collaborations WHY couldnt a engine building challenge still take place? The engine build rules are easy-we can talk about that later.

1. We contact some youtubers with engine building content and we all agree to build an engine within a set of rules.

2. On the date of competition we dyno test the engines . Same as EMC avghp/tq + / ci x1000 equals score.

3. The engine then gets shipped off to a fellow contestant for dyno testing. We can keep this honest a couple of ways but we need more than 2 contestants. I want to discuss this further

4. For obvious reasons I'd like to make this Mopar specific but at the very least it should be kept to inline valve only. This eliminates convolution with Hemi/Canted designs.

4.a. A friend of mine had a great idea with Nick's garage in mind. Since he builds a lot of 440,s Why don't we agree to build 440,s with ALL stock parts- It wouldn't be hard to make up a parts list that could not be violated and was also available.

I figure we could limit this to youtubers within Canada for the first goround for logistical reasons. We would need to generate some income via sponsorship to cover engine shipping if they are going to travel cross country at the very least. J.Rob

P.s. Mods feel free to move this if you don't want this in this sub-forum.
It’s too bad IQ52 retired. He was an expert within your parameters and would dominate the field-no offense.

When we look back he has built many engines within most of your requirements and his/& his son’s ability to port stock iron BBM heads is phenomenal.

I wish he would participate one more time. It’s like watching a magic wizard.

What about a shootout between any design of engine within a certain CC limit? Then we tap into newer designs to see if they are better. Maybe we will learn something.

What about a shootout between any design of engine within a certain CC limit? Then we tap into newer designs to see if they are better. Maybe we will learn something.
You’re suggesting engine families?
Gen 1 - 2 - 3 Hemi engines
LA engines
B and RB as separate engines
Poly engines
Etc….

At the moment, I do believe RAMM - J.Rob wants to use the K.I.S.S. method. It’ll certainly make life easier.

Now if this could organized in the states, I’d.be in.

I feel like the big block things already been done... because it has . Jim did that, made an awesome amount of power too.
I've always wanted to see a factory Iron Head small block shootout, no rhs nothing aftermarket... find the best castings and do what you can, cam style optional with a limit of .600 lift and [email protected]. Make it a 'I can use this in my street car' kinda thing. Yeah I like the fast class.
Regardless if this happens, good idea none the less.

To be honest, the last thing I’m going to spend money on is porting OEM iron heads. Though I love this idea of yours;
Make it a 'I can use this in my street car' kinda thing

Camshaft limitations are an interesting idea.

I would be interested in getting in on it...Dyno should take place at Nick's Garage...I could use a trip to Montreal

Even if I had the dough, I'd build a slant 6. That right there would put me a leg down.

I feel like the big block things already been done... because it has . Jim did that, made an awesome amount of power too.
I've always wanted to see a factory Iron Head small block shootout, no rhs nothing aftermarket... find the best castings and do what you can, cam style optional with a limit of .600 lift and [email protected]. Make it a 'I can use this in my street car' kinda thing. Yeah I like the fast class.
To be honest, the last thing I’m going to spend money on is porting OEM iron heads. Though I love this idea of yours;

Camshaft limitations are an interesting idea.
I would expect to see things pretty close then without much to the imagination.
Rpms or trickflows, rollers, vic's, etc.
I can read old magazines for that type of comparisons.

I'd like to see a 318 shootout. :D set 425 HP as minimum requirement with iron heads.

I would expect to see things pretty close then without much to the imagination.
Rpms or trickflows, rollers, vic's, etc.
I can read old magazines for that type of comparisons.
You can do the same with big blocks & small blocks. So it is now a moot point IMO. If you search the net enough you can find many many A & RB builds. The difference here is the little guy (us) should be doing this without major help from a machine shop. Obviously most here can not even refurbish heads much less machine a block.

This contest idea can help create more of a base of how people did their build and what it does on the dyno. No shame in a copy cat build.

When J.Rob figures out some rules, then it’s time for asking questions. Until then, it’s all speculation. The only thing I see so far that he wants to do is a 440 build and perhaps a dyno session at Nicks Garage.
I'd like to see a 318 shootout. :D set 425 HP as minimum requirement with iron heads.
What iron heads? I have W2’s at the ready!
An aluminum head is the only real reasonable replacement for the average guy. The real trick here is are we allowed to port it or not?

What if we used the speedmaster magnum clones or aluminum heads?

They are cheap enough for many enthusiasts.
This is J.Rob’s call. I personally don’t think the low cost Aluminum Speedmaster head is a very good head until you port the heck out of it as shown by Pittsburghracer. It’s a lot of work and a ton of experience.

Perhaps a (side) class for already ported heads?

You can do the same with big blocks & small blocks. So it is now a moot point IMO. If you search the net enough you can find many many A & RB builds. The difference here is the little guy (us) should be doing this without major help from a machine shop. Obviously most here can not even refurbish heads much less machine a block.

This contest idea can help create more of a base of how people did their build and what it does on the dyno. No shame in a copy cat build.

When J.Rob figures out some rules, then it’s time for asking questions. Until then, it’s all speculation. The only thing I see so far that he wants to do is a 440 build and perhaps a dyno session at Nicks Garage.

An aluminum head is the only real reasonable replacement for the average guy. The real trick here is are we allowed to port it or not?
No machine shop? Interesting.
As for catalog part combos..I would say a desktop dyno is for "bolt together" baselines ...or an old magazine article or 50. Simple math. Whatever it ends up..someone will have fun I'm sure

I like the idea. I hope logistically it’s worth figuring out, although I don’t think it will be.

No machine shop? Interesting.
No no no, machine shop for work the average home guy can’t do.
When it comes to the heads, rebuilding and a good valve job YES.
Porting and other tricks, NO!

It’s Just the idea of keeping costs down.

Who is "we'?

No W2’s brother.
We may have them, but so few people do.

-
Back