Ideas for rear exhaust route w/ Spring relocation ??

-

emnestor

emnestor
Reaction score
Any body have to re-route their rear pipes due to a spring relocation? Pics would be great. Trying to figure the best way to do this.

I've seen a 67 cuda that was mini-tubbed w/ the 3" spring relocation. The owner actually had a new gas tank sectioned to make it narrower and had the folding rear seat sectioned/reupholstered so it still functioned. Narrowing the gas tank gave her enough room to run pipes alongside the tank similar to stock.

I took 3 inches out of the tank on right side It was pretty easy. lost two gallons

Attachments

• 15.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 760
  • 16.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 796
  • dus1.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 713
  • dus3.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 650
I saved this picture so I could show the next guy who tries to make me some tail pipes.

70DartTailPipesSmall.jpg

The last guy gave up after about 8 hours of trying. He beat the **** out of my gas tank and rear shocks so bad, they looked terrible...

Awesome pics folks. Thanks so much.
Brian t that actually looks like a simple solution. A bend outward and back in. Perfect.

Yeah, I'm just waiting until I get some good headers that don't hang down before redoing the exhaust. I have turn downs before the axle, and don't really care for it.

Here is one I found before i put on the chrome tips....
I will take some more from under the car, i can take as many as you would like.....

Thanks

Attachments

• DSC00163-2.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 527
in an effort to retain simplicity and ease of maintenance I have mini tubbed and moved
spring mounts in 3 inches per side. Axles and housing also narrowed.
I am running 285/15-50's on the rear. Unfortunately I did not think far enough ahead with this conversion as I am forced to run straight pipes to turbo mufflers with immediate
turndowns befor axle. Called TTI for advice and their systems run the tailpipes along
the underside of the frame rails(doglegs). Too bad the springs now occupy that space.
the exhaust is unbearable on the street. Stroked smallblock soon to go bye bye.
Just turned 60 today, so not too many more changes for this guy........Arnold

Yes. I know the feeling Arnolds 67. Im gonna be cutting and welding here soon to get mine on the other side of the frame rail. Hopefully this wont defeat the purpose of moving the springs in board by blocking inner tire clearance.

I saved this picture so I could show the next guy who tries to make me some tail pipes.

70DartTailPipesSmall.jpg

The last guy gave up after about 8 hours of trying. He beat the **** out of my gas tank and rear shocks so bad, they looked terrible...

i want to hear any bad moves with this...

crushed pipes at the springs? does not look like it will but its a potential. Any one routed the exhaust this way and can make a comment on it?

Mine will be similiar and Ill try to post some pics in a couple of weeks. The only alternative is cutting a section out of the gas tank to shrink the width.

Have some pictures somewhere how some others got pipes out to the back, will start looking for them....for the few pictures I have click here

Yes. I know the feeling Arnolds 67. Im gonna be cutting and welding here soon to get mine on the other side of the frame rail. Hopefully this wont defeat the purpose of moving the springs in board by blocking inner tire clearance.

Possibly in the future when you move up to big block power I had
a thought about weight transfer.
Already have relocated springs and narrowed axles with " A body "
superstock rear leafs and traction devices, so what happens when extra
horsepower and those 285/50-15's actually bite and
lift the front end? NO room for the pipes.
Combo: 440 with 727 w/reverse valve body, trans brake, very loose convertor, line lock, full interior, factory 72 roadrunner radiator. running on
108 octane. Frame connnectors already in place. No roll cage, there is no Fiberglass in this car, all steel original shell. this is a
street car/cruiser-mustang killer.

-
Back