Idle problem

-

ram250098

69 Barracuda
Reaction score
I have a problem with my idle. I have a 340 stroked to 408. The rpm in drive has been a constant 1000rpm, in park it is about 1200. I have noticed now that it surges, it will go from 1000 down to 800 and back and forth with the feeling of stalling every once in awhile.
I have cleaned the carb {on the car} made sure idle mixture screws are all the same...I am not sure what to look for next.
I have a MSD 6al box and distributer..vacuum capped off and no kick down linkage to adjust.
The car drives great, and has no performance issues while driving, only when I come upto a traffic light etc
And help would be great..thanks
AL

Possible vacuum leak. Carb base gasket, pcv valve, something that is subject to change.

Thanks Red the carb base and gasket is snug, only vacuum line I have is from the pcv to the carb.
Can the pvc valve really affect idle that much?
thanks
AL

Thanks Red the carb base and gasket is snug, only vacuum line I have is from the pcv to the carb.
Can the pvc valve really affect idle that much?
thanks
AL

haha unplug it when its running and try to keep it alive...

LOL Something I never think about. I think in the 47 years I have been on this earth and all the cars I have had, I have replaced a pcv maybe twice.
AL

Initial timing?
Is it dropping timing when in gear?

To have it idle at 1200 in park it better have a HUGE camshaft, like bigger than 265 at .050.

Sounds like not enough initial and/or bleeding in mechanical at idle in park.

Initial timing?
Is it dropping timing when in gear?

To have it idle at 1200 in park it better have a HUGE camshaft, like bigger than 265 at .050.

Sounds like not enough initial and/or bleeding in mechanical at idle in park.

haha yea really! mine only idles at 1050 to 1100 @ 246 @ .050

You're not on the idle circuit if it's idling that high. You need to tune it properly. Depending on the build you should be able to get it to idle cleanly under 800rpm.

Might want to check the gap between the reluctor and magnetic pickup coil in the distributor too.

Agree with dropping the idle speed if everything checks out. I have a six pack setup (six idle mixture screws) and lopey cam that idles at 750 in park. Slowly back the idle down to close to stalling while adjusting the idle mixture screws. It should idle lower if no other problems are found. Like Moper says, sounds like you're out of the idle circuit at that RPM.

Also, if you check for a vacuum leak.....do not use anything flammable to spray around the intake and carburetor. Seen people do this all my life and wondered why. Use water in a spray bottle. It will work just as good and be WAY more safe. nuthin like a flash fire in your engine compartment to ruin your day.

-
Back