If you could go back, or pick and era to grow up in...would you you?

Would you go back?

• Go back?

Votes: 93 67.9%
  • Stay here?

Votes: 33 24.1%
  • Care less?

Votes: 11 8.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-
We actually take for granted all of the things we have today vs the 50s and 60s.
Go back? Well, maybe.
I was born in '62 and graduated high school in '80.
The '60s were cool to me, but i was a little kid then and what responsibilities did i have? None. The '70s were pretty cool too aside from the disco era. The 80s were tough getting into the work force and competing for jobs against older people, but i had a lot of good times and a lot of bad. There were lots of 60s and 70s muscle cars you could buy for cheap and run them hard then get rid of them and get another one the next day. That was fun.
Fast forward to today, and looking back at it all, maybe being born 10 years earlier might have been better, but we can duplicate the old times today if we choose to really.
To duplicate what it would be like living in the '60s you would need to drop your cable t.v., cell phones, microwaves, computers, and debit cards then cook your own meals from mostly scratch, have one vehicle, buy gas and food before 6pm and not on Sundays, put up with people smoking everywhere even in hospitals, lousy medical care, Political uncorrectness, reading books and listening to the radio or reading news papers for current affairs, writing letters and mailing them then waiting 2 weeks for a response, working 6 days a week 10 hours a day, supporting a family on one income, no day care.......well, you get the point.
We really don't have it that bad today really, it's just more hectic for some people, not as simple or straight forward as it was years ago.
Technology has a lot to do with it.
My parents complained about the same things that i'm complaining about or struggling with at my age when they were my age and it was the glorious '60s and '70s!
I think the difference is that the older you get, the more health issues you have and more responsabilty comes with age. Not the times you live in.
The only way i would want to go back or be born earlier would be if i knew then what i know now.
I guess my vote is ''Care less''.

I'm glad I grew up when I did(born in 1949). It's been a tuff life at times but things always got better and I wouldn't change a thing and regret nothing.

YOUNG GUNS - Make these great times, do what you can to create your own "Happy Days" or "American Graffiti" You can you know, might just be a little harder.

I have been thinking about this again, now that this thread has re-surfaced and I think that even if I could I wouldn't go back.

life is a pretty good deal at this time ......at least I can say it is for me.

I was born in 1986 and I am a little late to the game on a lot of cool things they used to do in the past and I know its a much different world than it was.....but we still have the cool cars from the past and have the freedom to do whatever we want now because apes don't rule the world as of yet and make slaves out of men and personal dancers out of women.

I must be living in the past because my classic cars are my only transportation ...I don't have a newer car to commute....the dart is it even with its drum brakes ....put 20,000 miles in a years time.

I don't get why so many want to live in the past yet they act like these cars inferior to drive now as dailys ......they were not inferior 40 years ago when people really knew how to drive and didn't need to watch dvds or text while on the road and slowed down when needed for better stopping......so many now rely on disk brakes and technology to compensate for a lack of common sense

Rani,a simpler time to live in. A slower,less complicated way of life. Technology, speeds everything up. Not always a good thing.

I must be living in the past because my classic cars are my only transportation ...I don't have a newer car to commute....the dart is it even with its drum brakes ....put 20,000 miles in a years time.

That is great! I soon hope to drive a Dart quite often next year if things work out! (Not a new so called Dart) Eventhough I used to drive a 69 Swinger 340 in the snow in Ohio, I remember with good snow tires it used to get around pretty good. Not so good for the body though with the salt and moisture.

I don't get why so many want to live in the past yet they act like these cars inferior to drive now as dailys ......they were not inferior 40 years ago/QUOTE]

Not inferior at all, people are just spoiled!!!! Heck I don't think they make a car without P/steering and A/C these days.

Nah. Born in '63, when I hit 18 in '81 muscle cars were 10 years old or so, could be found in excellent shape and dirt cheap. I swapped a worn out '68 Ford pickup for my '70 A56 Challenger, it had been garage kept, waxed and meticulously cared for until the second owner grenaded the 340. I swapped him the pickup even for the Challenger and a 383, which he'd also scorched the crank in. FT6 Dark Tan Poly, black top, butt stripe and interior. Other than the dead motor, not a scratch on it.

Gas was cheap, so was beer, girls were easy, worked in the oilpatch making $13.50. Wasn't bad at all..........

Today everything I have is paid off, house and 10 acres, cars, we're debt free. We're in good health, and the wife's bullshitted me into thinking she's the greatest thing since sliced bread.........life's good where I'm at.

What's keeping anyone from enjoying any arts and culture of the past? You can buy almost anything, without leaving your front door, these days.

We have technology at a dispose. This means you can take it or leave it. Clearly, we like some parts of it, because we are on here, BS'n' about it.

I don't have a TV that gets signal. I don't care about the programming today, enough to get one.

I'm a little behind the times on what's in movie theaters, who twerked on stage or how stupid a sports player is acting, but something is really good enough, I usually catch wind of it by a friend and check it out.

I play video games once in a while. I like arcade games and NES, over the new ones that require a work week of time to dedicate on a console that costs more than a good induction system. I think MP3 players are great. I think having hard copies of favorites on vinyl and CD is cool, too.

I'll leave the racism, bigotry against women, DDT, lead fallout over major cities and all of the other insanity at the exit of those decades.

The industry was at a height and social life was a disaster. No thanks.

Frontier? No. I like the idea of living past 40.

If I like something from those decades, I'll check it out and maybe participate or make a purchase. There are plenty of antiques to go around for those who are interested.

Why stick myself in any decade, when I can look back on any part of any of them, take what I like and leave the rest?

Birrion dorra Don Johnson 'Cudas are cool... but would anyone keep thinking that, if they weren't worth the Vatican? Do what you like, regardless of values. Even to the blind, hindsight is 20/20. Want quality? You can find it. Want simplicity? Live easily amused.

I would've liked to have been born about 30 to 40 years earlier than I was (1968).
There were 'sort of' muscle cars before the actual era....and a time when aftermarket performance parts were taking off.

I would pick being 19 in the earlier 80's so I could have banged all of the loose metal chicks in the back of my Le Car.

renault-lecar-08.jpg
if you were sporting a le car in the eightys you werent banging nothing but rosy palm!!!

I like right where I am.

As do I..

The passing down of My 'birther' values to My Lineage.

No More grace lib-nic-nic-nics egregious brown shirt wanna be's.

"I will keep My God, My Guns , and My Money "

You keep the change.

I think I grew up in the best of times and would love to go back to that kind of life. I was born in 1940, was a teenager in the fifties, Hauled hay to buy my first car( model
A coupe) I was in my twenties and thirties during the muscle car era, Still have my 66 for 47 years. We didn't have AC in school or house, no TV till I was 15. Going to my 55 year reunion and we all think we grew up in the best of times.

I would still go back.........

Attachments

• c175-1_zpsa262f26a.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 155
  • c507.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 147
  • 541490214_52f42cb8da_z.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 174
  • c258.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 156
  • 4_zps37f374d2.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 181
  • 28-1_zps37d53073.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 187
  • c280.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 174
  • c647.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 157
  • 1-1_zps0bc5c973.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 175
  • c130.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 198
if you were sporting a le car in the eightys you werent banging nothing but rosy palm!!!

lol....
We had a co-worker back then who's wife owned a Le Car. One day, when he brought it to work, a fellow worker and I went out to the car, and put masking tape all over it, on the tape we wrote. "Le door", Le fender", Le hood, Le windshield", "Le Steering wheel", "Le radio", Le driver's seat", and so on.
As I recall there were a little over 100 pieces of masking tape on and in the car with "ID" on them. lol

At the end of the shift, nearly everyone was outside waiting to see his reaction. The car was brand new at the time, and At first he freaked, and then he started laughing hysterically. There were some Poloroid pics of it at the time, and I suppose someone still has them.

the wife's bullshitted me into thinking she's the greatest thing since sliced bread.........life's good where I'm at.

lmao, I think I married her sister, I was born in 64, and I put stay the same, as posted I was able to pick up the muscle cars cheep, one of the best deals ever was a 69 super bee for $75.00 383 4 speed, here in town people just parked cars that were to hard on gas, my friends and I was snagging every mopar sitting and people thought we were nuts, only a few smart one's in the bunch tho, who held onto them, they were just cars then and we thought they would always be around, luckily I kept the scamp when I seen the cars going away.

I think I did go back in time last summer. Went to my 25 year reunion and I swear the town hasn't changed. I would like to go back to the 80's it was a fun time, besides muscle cars were just used cars back then, although I couldn't afford much working for $3.35 an hour during the summers. There are times that I would ditch every piece of technology in a heartbeat. Technology brings its own headaches. We wouldn't have such things as: identity theft, phishing, scams... without the internet.
Aaron

I was born in 69 and would love to go back and do it all again.. I grew up in Chicago near Midway airport, as a kid in the mid to late seventies. I recall being outside all summer long. Friends and I had all kinds of outdoor games..we never used the phone for friends only relatives usually out of state but was excited to pick up the phone when it rang with no caller ID.. Friend of my family would pick us up and go roller skating usually Saturday nights, seems I would find a girl to slow skate with to a Bee Gees song... My mother took me to see the movie Animal House when it came out, she thought it was about animals..she was wrong..she tried to cover my eyes through the movie..She had a 67 chevelle SS back then she traded in for the new chevette.. I remember the cars parked on the city streets back then chevelles and mustangs, challengers seemed like dime a dozen..I remember the ford econoline pick up truck and a Shelby mustang the most..my dad was always a Mopar guy..he purchased brand new a 1972 charger I remember it was gold a beautiful car..he had traded in a chrysler 300 67ish for it..People back then weren't tainted by video, no fist bumps..reminds me fights where usually by fists rather than guns...terrorism was usually over seas no school, city kids these days are afraid to be out when it gets dark because of gangs..and one family member could actually hold down a household financially..the seventies were a great time to build character and I would do it all again...Here is a picture of my dad next to my car..may he rest in peace June 5th 2013..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 144
I would go back :glasses7:

Attachments

• tumblr_n6x86gVdHD1qdpulbo1_500.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 1472081_749228778490689_6032484049923077760_n.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 10615512_10152776612937457_3470092761935588952_n.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 68
  • tumblr_nd6mrp8rbR1qiflw2o1_1280.jpg