Im stumped...

-

MoparMower

Reaction score
I just went in yesterday to align my timing gears at tdc and spun my distributor 180 to fix my advamced timing problem and now it wont crank? Turns over but just doesnt even try to fire off... im frustrated right now so maybe im missing something. Any ideas?..

I'm not sure if it's just me, but none of your post makes sense.

Why did you spin your distributor 180? Did you verify the rotor is pointed at #1 when at TDC on the compression stroke?

Is this a new timing set, or are you 'fixing' a previous install.

If it won't fire, and you've been playing with the timing set (chain and gears) and distributor, then the problem lies with one of them: either cam timing, or ignition timing. Both are fairly easy to get close enough to start with careful measurement/observation.

Yea.. im more of a hand gestures/physical action/get it done myself kind of dude, never been big on writen word to explain a problem so my appologies if my posts are a bit confusing at times. Lol but ill try my best to explain to you what went down and the history that lead me to it. (Keep in mind i bought this car as is from a guy who knew absolutely nothing about it, so in turn neither did i)
So after buying this 440 duster in south Seattle that barely ran, had leaky fuel lines, blew a foot of flames out of the carb every time i tried to turn it over, not to mention i dont make a lot of money.. i certainly dont have a problem saving up and spending it on the car it just takes me a long time to do it. Now i start doing some digging and some trial and error to find out what i can. First i want to acomplish getting the engine in well enough shape just to crank up with some effort at least and be able to drive it only for the purposes of moving it around for convenience, or to the mechanic if need be. So i think, #1 flames blowing out of the carb #2 i have to keep it reved up to about 2000+ rpm just to stay running... maybe its advamced timimg!? .. Or i have got a bent/leaky vale on one of my heads... that was the first thing i checked. Heads where good, looked damn near brand new (906 cast irons). Then i think well, it must be the distributor or timing gears. So last weekend i had some free time and decided what the hell ill take a look at the timimg gears amd see what i can see.... what i found?:
Took off the timing cover and used a tdc tool in the #1 cylinder (driver side front) to rotate my engine to top dead center. When i did that i looked at my distributor and the two little alignment dots on my gears. What did i see you might ask?.. the rotor in the distributor was pointing directly AWAY from #1 cylinder mark and the alignment dots where all out of wack! One up at the top left and one pointed straight left.. after seeing that and getting the same thing after roatiating the motor in the SAME direction back over to tdc again just to be sure i wasnt wrong, it came out the same way every time. So what did i do?:
Well, i took off the timing gears (witch was in fact a damn near brand new double roller set) rotated the motor to tdc, and put them back on with the alignment dots in the proper position, it slid right into place. (Fyi i never rotated anything without the gears AND chain being on)
Next step was to turn the rotor in the distributor to #1, so i unbolted it, slid the neck up until the gear came loose, then turned the rotor to #1 sat the neck back down and gave it a little wiggle locking it into place... and thats pretty much that. I put my timing cover back on, pulleys, fan, radiator, made sure ALL of my plug wires were snug, checked all my lines... everything was good. So we hooked up the jumper cables, cranked my buddies truck, let it sit for a few minutes then tried to crank it...... anddd nada.
It will spin the motor over (wee-e-e-e-e-e) but it just wont fire off and start up.
Im no mechanic, but this is my hobby, something i absolutely love to death so i like to try and do it myself rather than take it to a mechanic so that i can LEARN it, get better at it. If there is anything in that prosess i missed or maybe something i could try to get it running, pkease let me know. I appreciate all the help everyone on this site is willing to give. Thanks!

TDC on #1 compression or TDC #1 exhaust? Timing marks directly opposite each other. Cam gear mark on the bottom crank gear mark on top. Use a straight edge. Once that is correct watch the rockers as you move the crank by hand. If both rockers are trying to move it is TDC exhaust. If both are still it is TDC compression. Point the rotor to #1 on the cap if it is TDC compression. Point the rotor to #6 on the cap if it is TDC exhaust.

Did your crank timing gear have more than one key way? The crank turns 2 times to every one time on the cam. With the crank dot pointing at 12 o clock and the cam gear dot at 12 o clock you are on # 1 compression stroke. With the crank at 12 and the cam at 6 o clock it is on #6 firing stroke. If it was running before you took it apart, it couldn't have been to far off.

Sigh.. i know where i messed up now. I never checked to make sure it was on the correct tdc. I just ran the piston up imto the whole and slapped everything om, so stupid.

Sigh.. i know where i messed up now. I never checked to make sure it was on the correct tdc. I just ran the piston up imto the whole and slapped everything om, so stupid.

None of us are perfect and I think we have all been there one time or another. I bet you have it sorted out in no time.

Haha hopefully, i just got the valve cover off then the bottom fell out of the sky so im sitn in the car waiting on the rain to let up. But i shouldnt have to go in and set the timing gears again as long as i get the distributor set to tdc right?

Haha hopefully, i just got the valve cover off then the bottom fell out of the sky so im sitn in the car waiting on the rain to let up. But i shouldnt have to go in and set the timing gears again as long as i get the distributor set to tdc right?

Yeppers, you are probably just 180 out now. Depending on how they put the drive gear in you may want to rotate it or move the wires around the cap if the distributor doesn't seem oriented properly. Once you know you are on TDC compression you can make #1 anywhere on the cap (yes I know some are marked) and just index the drive gear/rotor accordingly. Then just go from #1 counterclockwise to 8 4 3 6 5 7 2.

1. remove #1 spark plug. 2. put thumb over plug hole. 3.rotate motor by hand until you feel thumb pressure and timing marks align. 4.with dizzy removed, verify intermediate gear slot is facing front to back. 5. Slot in dizzy should point the same way as gear and should correspond to #1 on dizzy cap. 6. install dizzy clamping it firm but no tight. 7. Verify firing order 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 in counter clockwise manner. 8. verify juice to coil. 9. should start. 10. after star t and warm, use timing light. Good luck

..........If u lined ur timing marks up at 6 o"clock on the cam and 12 o"clock on the crank u dist rotor needs to be pointing to number 6 on the dist cap or u could turn ur engine 1 revolution then point the rotor to number 1..........kim.......

-
Back