Intake flow numbers For SBM

-

MRL Performance

Reaction score
I just got done flowing some intakes I had around the shop. I have done it before, but I could not sleep last night so I go busy in the shop at 2am. These are all SBM intakes

Here is what I found. All flow numbers are average as inner and outer runners flow different.

Mopar M1 Gasket matched 288cfm

Edelbrock Victor 340 out of the box 254cfm

Indy Single plane W5/360-1 some porting 375cfm

Mopar W2 Single plane gasket match 296cfm

Edelbrock Super Victor Gasket matched 331cfm

Crosswind out of the box 225cfm

Crosswind Gasket matched 257cfm

Edelbrock RPM out of the box 242cfm

Weiand Stealth Gasket matched 272cfm

Take these as they are. The flow may not be exact to some other shops bench, but they were all done on the same bench and that will at least show the flow difference between the intakes. Enjoy :)

ggod info. you need to do a holley strip dom. also.

Thats some good information!
Thanks alot for takeing the time!

I wish you could sleep better...lol. I always question the validity of testing just an intake. Without the physics of a running engine taken into the result it's just not really telling you much. You flow test a port but that has one end, feeds one hole, and is not fed off a common plenum. A perfect example is the Stealth and the RPM. The RPM pulled 30cfm less, and yet it's always making more of the same type of power over the Stealth.
I think you spent a sleepless night working when you could have been enjoying yourself...lol.

I wish you could sleep better...lol. I always question the validity of testing just an intake. Without the physics of a running engine taken into the result it's just not really telling you much. You flow test a port but that has one end, feeds one hole, and is not fed off a common plenum. A perfect example is the Stealth and the RPM. The RPM pulled 30cfm less, and yet it's always making more of the same type of power over the Stealth.
I think you spent a sleepless night working when you could have been enjoying yourself...lol.
Think it is still valid , shows the potential of each intake , with the engine it's a combination of manifold and engine .
RPM and Air Gap are the same , right ?

The same could be said for flowing heads. It air flow, and it does show a difference in the intakes.

The Stealth was gasket matched, The RPM was not. There is the difference right there.

You say it doesn't matter? I have flowed a OOTB BBM Victor, then ran it on the dyno as is. Pulled it off, did some port work, gained 35cfm(avg) and picked up 50HP. That was on a 505 making 650HP/TQ.

The way I flow test the intakes is like this..... It gets bolted to the flow bench UPSIDE DOWN and I blow the air thru it, just like testing the exhaust ports. I block off all the ports except the one Im looking at. I have even been able to test it with different spacers and even turtles. I believe it is valid testing and I have seen power gains, AND loses with this testing. But I do see your point. We can not account for the running pulses of an engine, but the same hold true for flowing heads and that is still considered valid, Right?

I do have a Strip Dominator, I just didn't see it till today sitting on the shelf.

Great info, Mike. Was the gasket-matched M1 a single-plane or dual-plane?
Can I safely assume the M1 LA-engine and magnum-engine manifolds will flow very similar, if not the same?

Great info, Mike. Was the gasket-matched M1 a single-plane or dual-plane?
Can I safely assume the M1 LA-engine and magnum-engine manifolds will flow very similar, if not the same?

don`t have a small block, but I always enjoy your posts. thanks for posting stuff like this. am always interested in the r/b stuff-----bob

The M1 was a single plane and yes the 2 are the same.

Don't worry Bob, I have BBM numbers coming the next time Im up for days on end LOL

Is there any kind of documentation that confirms the rpm realy being that much better than the stealth? or is it just that way to many people somehow got stuck in some kind of magazine hype?

I see people recomending the rpm and the rpm airgap all the time but i cant find someone that can verify if there is a real difference compared to the stealth or action plus. or even the M1 dualplane.

I suppose I could have worded that better Mike. I didn't mean anything as a personal attck - my apologies if it read like that. I question the extent of any info given, if that makes sense. I'm certain to an extent a gain in dry reverse flow will translate to a gain in overall power. Just like an exhaust port... But on a scale of 1-10 I'd rate that conclusion a 2-3 max. The thing is, as you're testig it, it's still "messy". And I don't mean to say there is anything anyone else could do better... I mean it's just not close enough to how that part actually works to make any testing like that carry a lot of weight. I'd never use it to base a purchasing choice, for instance. I think of it like this - if I was going to try a beer to see if I liked it I would want it to be very cold, in a glass that I can view it and the head on it clearly, and that allows me to drink without wearing the foam too much. If someone handed me the same beer in a plastic sippee cup & warm I wouldn't say that taste test is very valid. It's not in the right place to really get to know it. You can get some taste, but basically you go "yuk".
The RPM intake debate - well, magazines tested it, it comes out on top. I've tested it back to back with a few (when the owners thought it fun to try) and it comes out on top. It's really that good of a peice.

I just got done flowing some intakes I had around the shop. I have done it before, but I could not sleep last night so I go busy in the shop at 2am. These are all SBM intakes

Here is what I found. All flow numbers are average as inner and outer runners flow different.

Mopar M1 Gasket matched 288cfm

Edelbrock Victor 340 out of the box 254cfm

Indy Single plane W5/360-1 some porting 375cfm

Mopar W2 Single plane gasket match 296cfm

Edelbrock Super Victor Gasket matched 331cfm

Crosswind out of the box 225cfm

Crosswind Gasket matched 257cfm

Edelbrock RPM out of the box 242cfm

Weiand Stealth Gasket matched 272cfm

Take these as they are. The flow may not be exact to some other shops bench, but they were all done on the same bench and that will at least show the flow difference between the intakes. Enjoy :)

Excellent Work,

If you had an 'old school' Edelbrock Tarantula {TM-5}, that would be interesting
to see how the '1st' Small Block Race Manifold stacked up against the newer profiles.

:cheers:

I would like to see what the mopar six pack does deep gasket match if possible. I pulled a holley strip dom and 750 dp race holley off and installed the six pack with machanical six pack carbs and I was surprised at the power gain even up at 6,200. I only have about 400hp though.

I think it's great info, especially to see if the intake port flows at least as much as the head.
Like if you slap on a set of eddy heads, the OOTB crosswind would be giving up a little overall flow, where a gasket matched one would be just right.

Thanks Mike.

What I got out of your tests on these was, the matched "M1" looks decent for the right combo, the stock "Victor 340" was a little disappointing & the "Stealth" has some really good potential for a DP.

Mike - Thank you, very nice to see someone sharing. I enjoy reading on your builds, your post and your thoughts on Mopar builds.

If you start doing BBM, I am looking to install a Torker with a .590 purple cam and a 750 proform carb. This is a transition from a small 530 hydraulic roller, M1 single plane and Holley Ultra 750. My numbers come out to more HP higher up on the rpm scale, with a little less street manners.

nice work! I also would love to see how a six pack compares to some of these.

I may have time to flow the Strip Dom I have. The LD340 is the same as an RPM, they just changed the name. 6 pack would require a funky custom adapter to flow all three 2bbl ports at once, that's not going to happen.

I have made a lot of power with the Stealth. To date the most has been 560HP and 550TQ. That car runs 10.85 all day long and pulls the front wheel about 6" for the first 20-25ft. Demon with a cage

Attachments

• Troy T Demon.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 620
Well I guess they are slightly different, LD340 and RPM. But they are the same as in they are both High Rise Dual Plane intakes. The RPM has less of a Dog Leg to it, and it should flow better. But without hard core evidence, I don't know if one is much better than the other.

To those of you who worry about what appears to be a lack of flow from the 340 Victor manifold.........OOTB it has 318 port sizes. Very, very handy at times.

-
Back