iron or aluminum heads small block

-

9secRR

Reaction score
i have a 360 that i'm rebuilding. i need a set of heads. right now with the X heads, it's 11.8:1 comp, 540 lift solid cam. i'm not going to put the X heads back on so i'm looking for suggestions.

should i stay iron or go with aluminum? i have looked at Hughes, IMM, and BPE, and MRL. after reading Ramm's post about hughes big mouth heads, i'm not sure what to do. with the false advertising of flow #'s, who can be trusted?

i will most likely upgrading to a bigger cam. i do have a 690 lift solid roller Crower cam on the shelf that i could use with a fully ported head. i would like to run a soild flat tappet rather then the roller i have.

this is a drag car only, big tire, ladder bar, 2300 lbs. looking to get in the 530-550 hp range with the 3.58'' stroke. not looking at going to the 4'' stroke.

I would get ahold of IQ52
He will fix you up !!
He has done two sets of heads for me and the work is impeccable !!
Also had Mrl do a set have not ran them life got in the way hopefully this spring /summer .
But truly contact Jim Laroy !!!
You will be happy garunteed !!
Straight up no bs !!!!!

Your pistons might limit what you can use.

AL can run a point more compression, all other things being equal. Thats about it.

Your pistons might limit what you can use.
So can listening to others.
AL can run a point more compression, all other things being equal. Thats about it.
That's the whole thing right there. "Being equal" in which they are not. Even more so when ported. And then even more when you try to compare factory heads next to aluminum offerings.

Thanks Stoked

And in his own words he once said;

The only iron head worth looking at would be a W2. As of late some folks have posted Magnum EQ's (IIRC) flowing 300cfm.

Since your building a "Drag Only" car, I can not see the use of an iron head unless there is a rule that mandates there use.

Re - reading your post, I would be looking at the Edelbrock Victor heads for use with that a Crower cam.

I'd go with aluminum, light weight, cost less (easier) to port, better heat dissipation and easier to repair. Talk to Rod at BPE, his heads ports were developed by Brett Miller, all of Brett's stuff runs hard.

Yes, as I stated all things being equal, an iron head that flows the same and has the same compression will out perform the AL head. This is fact.

"...Aluminum heads dissipate (get rid of) heat much faster than iron heads. The rapid heat loss from the combustion chamber results in reduced combustion chamber pressures (heat equals pressure); similar to the effect that lowering the compression ratio which lowers cylinder pressure. When switching to aluminum heads you MUST raise the compression ratio to prevent a power loss. ...
...Aluminum heads will not automatically create more power than iron heads unless they flow more air and are installed on a higher compression ratio engine. In cases where you have a decent port job on a set of iron heads it is possible to bolt on a set of out-of-the box aluminum heads and lose power. Aluminum is automatically lighter but not faster..."
#7---Choosing Heads: Aluminum vs. Iron (Which Ones Do You Need?)

I guess after everyone has spend your money....What is your Budget?,,,,,,,,,,

i have looked at BPE's head choices. they seem like a head that will make good power. very skilled people have worked with Rod on these heads.

it's hard to set a budget, speed/power costs money. no way getting around that.

i have had W2's in the past, great head but i sold all my intakes and headers so i think this time i'll go a different route.

Id trade my Edelbrock EFI for a set of Econo W2's..great head. Just do your research twice, buy once.

Yes, as I stated all things being equal, an iron head that flows the same and has the same compression will out perform the AL head. This is fact.
Second thing first, I'm glad you brought up that old write up. It is a good one. Thumbs up in that!

First thing second. Yep, I agree. BUT aluminum head routinely port out better than iron heads. And that's where my comment comes in. I ment nothing more of less by it.

And by all means, what ever head floats your boat!!!!

"...Aluminum heads dissipate (get rid of) heat much faster than iron heads. The rapid heat loss from the combustion chamber results in reduced combustion chamber pressures (heat equals pressure); similar to the effect that lowering the compression ratio which lowers cylinder pressure. When switching to aluminum heads you MUST raise the compression ratio to prevent a power loss. ...
...Aluminum heads will not automatically create more power than iron heads unless they flow more air and are installed on a higher compression ratio engine. In cases where you have a decent port job on a set of iron heads it is possible to bolt on a set of out-of-the box aluminum heads and lose power. Aluminum is automatically lighter but not faster..."

Nonsense. This about as accurate as their flow bench claims. You show me the tests that confirm that, not the theory that claims it................all things being equal.......

Here are two tests of iron vs aluminum. Claiming that iron should make more horsepower, they proved themselves wrong and still denied their results.

Comparing Aluminum And Iron Cylinder Heads - Car Craft Magazine

Iron vs. Alloy Engine Heads - Tech Article - Chevy High Performance Magazine

for a all out drag car, zero street miles, it sounds like W2 for iron and BPE for aluminum?

what other iron head out there that would compare to these 2 listed?

Now IF I can remember...
Magnum EQ heads flow very well ported. *I think* I read somewhere somebody got 300 cfm out of them.

So, iron heads, IMO there are 2 choices and the W2 option is priciest and the heads are no longer being made so scoop up what you can find virgin or pay extra for the ported ones that are used.
The Magnum EQ heads are available with ether Magnum or LA intake pattern.

On aluminum heads, do your homework, pick your parts and pay your price.

While BPE heads look really nice, no one I know of or read about has built an engine with his heads. I do *think* there are several in the works now.

His head could be used for a "Race Ride" only. (I don't see why not.) Just as well as a unported OE head could. Or a upper series MoPar W-7-8-9, commando/ super commando head, or a Brodix or an Indy or a Victor, etc....

Depends on a few things. Thickness of wallet, how fast you want to go, parts desired to use.

Does his head fit your budget, build, goal?

Kim, this is a new project, i sold the black car.

rumblefish360, i have talked to a lot of guys about 59* W9's. to much head for what my ET goal is. Brodix is a good head and i have looked at them in the past but went W2 instead.

not much out there on BPE heads. i would like to see a few builds with results

i should talk to RAMM about his EQ heads

Last edited:
Kim, this is a new project, i sold the black car.

rumblefish360, i have talked to a lot of guys about 59* W9's. to much head for what my ET goal is. Brodix is a good head and i have looked at them in the past but went W2 instead.

not much out there on BPE heads. i would like to see a few builds with results

i should talk to RAMM about his EQ heads

W9's are a $$$$$ pit. What is your ET goal? I might have missed it. 2300 lbs and stock stroke is gonna boogie if done right though. J.Rob

i would like to be able to run 9.60's. at 2400 lbs, 550 hp should be enough? big tire, ladder bar... chassis is set up decent

-
Back