Is it just me ? Selling anything is a PITA

-
Tough economy makes people watch their funds much closer. I'm personally not a PayPal fan since they charge the reciever which reduces a negotiated that much less after fees. Why can't they just do it the way western union or currency exchanges do it and charge the sender?

When you sell something, clearly state they cover the fees.

I always do on any PP transaction I do, no need to even ask, it's just the right thing to do IMO for the convenience.

Bought a car off Craigslist a couple months ago! Went with all the cash, paid full price and didnt dicker at all! Guy was so tired of fielding all of the bullshit wanna be's, and so thankful I didn't bash the car or try to talk him down that he threw in about $500 worth of extra parts! Only asking $1000 for a parts car with about $3k worth of parts, and another $500 on top, why talk him down?? Manners, integrity, humility, and honesty!! Lost on most people nowadays!! Sadly!! Geof

I agree with ya!! but in SOME parts of the country, if ya don't try to talk them down, NO matter how GOOD a buy, they think you are CRAZY!! lol
when I was young, back in the 60's and 70's, I could buy ANYTHING, ie,, trucks, trailers, horses, saddles, land, chickens, ya name it.and I could sell it at fair price and profit!!! no internet, no ebay, people brought CASH and were glad to find what they were lookin for at a FAIR price. they brought CASH...
but lets face it... the economy has been in the toilet since '07 and really long before that. the old Mopar hobby has gone up and down now twice since the first fall of '91 ( some thought it tanked in '92)....
thing is when the economy and market is DOWN, the wealthy look for bargains, and the poor have little money and look for say a 71 duster that should bring $4000 for $500!! just a sign of our times. the middle class keeps getting smaller. the rich, richer, the U.S. deeper in tremendous debt....
here's a funny story but true. I used to live out about 30 min to hour out of major city. I would have a mopar for sale, listed I that city's newspaper. say a 69 roadrunner. they would call and ask where I lived. their reply: its too far to travel .... 1 hour OUT of the city to look!!! LOL yea, tons of people. I would HAVE to ask just HOW many 69 runners are on their block!!!! then you got the one's that say they will be there at ten..... ten o clock 5 days later, still a no show!!! LOL
the GOOD part of all this is I pickuped my liitle stable of A body cars, just slants and an occasional SB. all builders, their going price was low, and should be right now. they are my hobby. they are not for sale, I like them, that is all that matters to me. no cars for sale.. no parts for sale..... no cars and parts listed on Craig or Ebay.....
lets face it , people are funny! and some more nuts than others!??? LOL

all great men are dead,..... and I havn't been feelin too well lately myself!!!!!!

Not so sure about the $500 threshold-- just on this site a $15 transaction will get scrutinized--

Sign of the times I guess-- Lawrence

Buying parts from a fellow named Lawrence AKA Vdart is almost pain free ,he is honest ,accommodating and easy to deal with, he even holds parts over the winter so this Canuck can stop by on his way home from Texas to pick them up . Thanks Lawrence see you in Apr. Bob

buying from each other on this site shouldn't be like buying off Craigslist or even ebay!???? LOL
I will be heading west in few weeks, goin by Vdart aka Lawrence to pick up tranny and maybe have some wheels he will like.... looking forward to meeting member and fellow Mopar guy.....

BJs duster if you need anything else let me know I am in topeka Ks above Vdart on 35.

my father in law recently passed away at 92 I am selling off his 70 year collection which included 27 juke boxes&10,000 45 rpm records.all the juke boxes were sold to collectors or dealers no problems.also a collection of Apollo 11 stuff which went well on ebay.also a 29 model a cabrolet with original paint went to a collector.so like it or not guess inm in the selling business for about the next 2 years.anybody need a plotting board off a navy ship or a pick up truck full of electric stove parts a player piano a mangle iron a bunch of antique radios or perhaps a 9 foot long stainless steel sink

i hate selling ****. we just bought a jeep for my wife from an acquaintance. clean, low miles, price was fair, it was for sale for a long time, I think because it was a stick. he also said he had a lot of people that looking and get turned away because it was a stick. also the full range of tire kickers. he wanted 12,9, I told my wife we would take it if hell come down to 12. wife thought I was wrong for doing that. he did have another guy that couldn't make it, so had his dad with cash, on his way, but he was on his way for over a week. I felt it was a reasonable offer. when I made the offer, he got pissed. told me he might have to give the other guy a shot at it. I said go ahead, IF he shows up, hes probably going to offer even less or there will just be some other bs to deal with. he called me back and asked what the deal is with money, no deal that's what its worth to me. and ill gladly buy it for that. so he asked me to come up another 300. if It was for me I would have told him to keep waiting for the other guy. or more tire kickers to show up. but wife wanted it so I agreed on his price. she told me I was screwed up, I said why? I want to sell 2 or 3 of our cars, and im going to have to deal with that same thing 2 or 3 times, I still feel I was fair.

i just sold my truck. 03 hemi ram 2500 4x4, 100,000 miles. front axle all rebuilt. body had some dents, and it needed the heater core done. I had the core, I just had no interest in doing it, I hadn't really driven it in a year or so. I was looking for 3500, which I feel was way cheap, even for the work it needed. it drove like a brand new truck. I had tons of stpid emails, weeded them out, a couple no shows. the first serious guy showed up and says wow, its way nicer than I expected for the price. ok, I tell him exactly what is wrong with it even though it was In the listing and I emailed it to him, and told him over the phone. just to be clear. he doesn't even drive it. tells me he used to be a dodge tech and was very familiar with the trucks. says the heater core is no problem for him, its exactly what he wants, has to get access to the money. said he was in the military and his dad had power of attorney, he couldn't just go pull the cash out, and buy the truck. ok. I thought that was way too easy, no way is he coming back. called me 3 days later saying he still wants it things aren't happening as fast as he was hoping, if I had to sell it, go ahead. I said nah, its sat a year ill give you some time. another day or 2, and he taxt me saying he can only come up with about 1/2 what im asking will I take it. I just text him back NO. he asked what I will take. I told him 3500. he said well I cant come up with that, I only have 25. im not selling it for 25. I had to think about it, how many times I can go through this, over a couple hundred bucks. we agreed on a number and he came and picked it up. in the end, it worked out. its out of my way, I got a couple bucks in my pocket and he got a cheap truck. I guess you just have to know when to fold.
I want to sell my wagoner now and I just cant imagine the people im going to deal with on that one. it looks like it has already been through the zombie apocalypse, gone on a tour of the 7 continents, farm truck, quarry truck, used by coal miners... but I have a bunch of cash into it. everything under the body is either replaced or upgraded, no way am I walking away happy on that deal.

I started parting out and selling Mopar only stuff in 1987. This includes cars - R/T Challengers, '71 Cuda and cuda convertibles, 68 GTS convertible dart, 66 Formula S, etc., and parts for many years were exclusively E body. Two things I've learned over the years: people never change, and there's as may opinions on price and quality as there are people. But, for every self-described pro that beats you up, there's one that actually knows what they're talking about and agrees with you... You just have to be patient and find them. Ebay used to be great - that was early 2000s. Now it's terrible. I've had good luck with Craigslist but there's a lot of spam and a lot of people with little self respect. You learn quick who's real.

I also blame tv. barret Jackson drove the prices up out of control, and now we have gas monkey, teaching everyone how to lowball.

i guess ya gotta have exactly what people want and priced at what's in their pocket!! LOL makes NO difference what a fair price is sometimes!???? we are in a different economy than decades before???? so many people are raised now with NO manners or regard for others???? maybe blame it all on China and Walmart!?? LOL

on these forums you got 3 type people,those that got extra parts.those that need the parts.then the speculators who haunt these sites trying to buy the bargains.which will show up at carlile or charlotte at ridicolus prices

Price parts to sell and you'll sell them! Price them to make a killing and you'll become the kind of seller that you're now complaining about!!! I sold every item I took to the Nats this year, in this down turned economy, because they were priced right!

Had a set of 14x5.5" LBP rallyes with trim rings and center caps...my price was $50!! Others were asking $50 a piece for the same rims, in worse shape than mine! Now, everybody knows that 14x5.5" LBP rallyes don't sell, and $50 is about the top of the price range, so why try to get 4x what they're worth?? A nice young gun came by and looked them over for his first Mopar project, I told him the price and he couldn't believe it because of the pricing of others! To say he was happy would be an understatement, and even his father thanked me for selling them so "cheap"!! $50 is not cheap, its just right for the product!! I would much rather they be on his car than be bringing them home because I was stupid enough to think they were worth $50a piece, like the others who are again unloading theirs back at their garages!!

That's the way I roll, and don't look back!! I personally enjoy selling, it gives me satisfaction to help other people with their projects, and allows me to interact with all manner of different Mopar enthusiasts! And anybody that knows me knows that once the talk turns to Mopar, I simply never shut up!!! Geof

Even when you price parts at a fair price or priced to sell they try to low ball you.Selling parts on FABO I do not have to much trouble.It seems like everyone think everyone else is hurting for money.So on a $25.00 part that is a bargin to begin with they will offer you $5.00 or $10.00.

Even when you price parts at a fair price or priced to sell they try to low ball you.Selling parts on FABO I do not have to much trouble.It seems like everyone think everyone else is hurting for money.So on a $25.00 part that is a bargin to begin with they will offer you $5.00 or $10.00.

Yes Jim, but isn't that the fun part...when you don't even have to answer them?? Just talk in creole french, sing some Kansas lyrics, yell babaloo at the top of your lungs, gobble like a Tom turkey, anything to keep them wondering what is wrong with you!! That is so much fun, I try to do it as much as possible!! Eh toi, mon ami!!!

Find the enjoyment in any situation, and you'll always enjoy what you're doing!! :)

I had a Big Block Thermoquad listed for $35 and someone wanted me to sell it to them for $40 shipped. Considering the distance that I had to ship it I would have pocketed a massive $12. At that point, it's more worth my time to throw it in the trash. Eventually someone paid up.

Unfortunately, because of this I have a feeling a lot of stuff is just going to get thrown away instead of sold.

Totally untrue back in 06-07 people just bought the parts. No barter just cash. And they didn't want fourty pics of said piece just to never be heard from again.

Sure. That is when everything went ballistic. The cars were selling for big bucks and the parts followed. People were grabbing anything and lots of uneducated buyers jumped in.

You rode that wave. Good for you. Now adjust for a new day.

Everyone that sold their house in 2006-7 was a genius house flipper. So easy and simple, buyers lined up....

So go back to 2003, 2000, 1995.

I know this is for sellers, but I'm coming at you as a buyer. I saw this car, $6500 with grill and front header and tires, pretty much as it sits/rolls. $4000 without the grill, header panel and tires. Trunk? ROTTED. Floor pans? Rotted. Interior? None, just dash and steering wheel, it does have door handles. So, $4000 for basically a roller. Quarter panel? ROTTED. Yes, it's a desirable model of car, but in my opinion, not worth what's being asked. Is that wrong of me? If so, can't help it.

No don't get me wrong I always try to get a little better of a deal.But if you are asking 4k for a roller project I have enough resect for a person than insult them with a $800.00 offer.Even if I think that is all it is worth.Or I wouldn't ask if I could make payments.
Like Cosgig said you just have to find the enjoyment of the situation.I just laugh and shake my head at people.It just seems everyone really lowballs you nowadays.And when you tell people no thank you, some get mad.

Times and money are tight, and people have become more shrewd, in business dealings. Seen it coming since Mopar parts ,started rising in price. Something valuable you have,some one wants for 20-30% of what it's worth ?
I simply say not that price,come back with a good offer. Open ended responses leave the ball, in the customer's court.(Their money,their decision) Anger & impatience, kills the chance of a comeback.

In defense of modern times, Craigslist is an awesome thing. EBay as well.
I agree, before these sites you would have to wait for a swap meet or Carlisle or the Nats. Now you just pick up the phone and play the game.

Yep-just a few years ago some of the "cheap bastards"complained about rediculouis prices but now the same ones are still complaining about"high prices"!!!

I've had my 354 Hemi on Craigslist for about 5 months now. had a couple callers right off the bat , all excited . Never heard from them again. here I have a built 354 ,200 miles on rebuild ,all the good stuff in it no used parts. I've got pictures and videos, I've lowered the price , I've been open to partial trades , I've even offered to help with shipping. couple years ago I could have sold ten of them. I even posted on the H.AM. B thinking I would have luck on there , those guys like their flat heads and old Hemies....nothing.
ya I'm getting frustrated.

Yes selling sucks. When I was trying to sell my Dart for $6k my offers were $2500-$3000. Really?! Now I'm just about done parting it out and will be glad when I'm done.
Sold some this weekend at Lebanon. I love the guy next to me selling parts trying to lowball me on a part. After we agreed on a price he put it with the rest of his stuff. Should have asked him what he was going to sell it for. I don't mind someone selling to support their hobby but flippers I don't like. I feel good if I give someone a deal to help them with a project not for someone to get rich off people.

I'm not trying to get rich......I just would like to make a little money back on stuff that I don't want any more........mostly collectables and a few parts.......but I'm not going to give it away.

-
Back