Is the m1 faster then the air gap

-

flboatman1

Reaction score
WILL A MOPAR M1 GIVE A BETTER ET. OVER MY ELDO AIR GAP. I'M RUNNING A 72 DART WITH A BUILT 360 , 904 TRANS 5000 STALL , 488 GEARS,31/10.5/15 SLICKS. WITH AIR GAP IT RUNS 7.0, 98 MPH, 1.46 6O FT. CARB. IS A 750 PROFORM. HAS ANYBODY TRIED BOTH . THANKS GARY.:dontknow:

I'd say borrow one and find out, but that isn't allways so easy now is it?

You failed to mention the cam specs, though, I beileve the rest of the car is designed to ignore any torque production below 4500, where the RPM is superoir.

Up top there about equal really. I just don't know how the M1 or the RPM is above 6500. Both intakes are rated to that RPM. Just because the pull above that RPM doesn't mean the engine or intake is making power worthy of being there.

Sorry rumblefish360 i don't know the cam specs. All i know is it is a roller . Bought car from the widow of last owner. I have shifted the car at differant rpms 6500 to 7500 did'nt make much diff. Only about 1 tenth slower at 7500. THERES A 200 SHOT OF NITRUS ON CAR IV'E NEVER USED IT. WHEN I FRIST BOUGHT CAR A FRIEND DROVE IT FOR ME AND RAN A 6.43 ON NITRUS.

I'd say take the M1 and run either 1 or 2" of open spacer under the carb. I think it will pick up. The air gaps a good all purpose intake but you need a good horsepower intake.

I would try a victor 340, it seems to work better than the M1 single plane on 360s, I would try a bigger carb too, at least an 850, my buddys 340 running similar ET's liked the HP series 1000cfm 4150, it layed down with a dominator but I think the adaptor gave the manifold too much plenum volume.

I would go with the M1 single plane, larger plenum volume and a straighter runner for high RPM range.

id try the m1, you have alot of gear, your not going to be in the low rpms long, on my 340 the more aggressive the intake the better it seemed to run, fishy68 , might have one for sale.

I flowed both the Airgap and the M1 on a bench for my application,I went with the M1 for my 410 sb.

I'd say either the M1 or the Victor, with that gear & stall your into 4500+ RPMs out the gate too 6500 quick, A single plane intake will better serve that window, the only area it would be weaker "down low" is if your cruising around town, which obviously your not lol, try it 1st. without a spacer, i'll bet it picks up ET shifting above 6500 with the single plane from the RPM you have now, thats where the RPM is fadeing off, as long as the heads/cam are still pulling, then start playing with spacers, try open & a 4 hole tapered like a super sucker, you'll still have top end, but it'll help the bottom a bit, then try a larger carb, with that RPM, a larger carb will most likely help too.

I think everyone here has nailed it and agree with all the replies. The previous owner didn't seem to be fooling around much. Sometimes people will load up everywhere on the car except the cam and just make the most of everything else while keeping a mild(ish) cam and dual plane for cruising to the burger joint/car meet.

I may also have a Victor 340 for sale soon as well. It's been gasket-matched for 340/360 heads. It's looking like it may be a bit much for my application and I'm thinking about going to a RPM air gap or knockoff.

I bid on a new m1 on e/bay and won it 127.00 so I might have a air gap to sell or trade, so if it works good I'll be glad to swap it for the victor 340. if it gets here by fri. I will tri it on Sat. Night at Lakeland Drag Strip. Do I have to jet bigger for this type of manifold?

I bid on a new m1 on e/bay and won it 127.00 so I might have a air gap to sell or trade, so if it works good I'll be glad to swap it for the victor 340. if it gets here by fri. I will tri it on Sat. Night at Lakeland Drag Strip. Do I have to jet bigger for this type of manifold?

Hi, It's Roy. Let me know if you do go Sat. Night. I'll try and meet you out there.

You may have to experiment with the jetting as well as the accellerator pump circuit. My combo is similar in several ways, but not all. After my converter flashes to at least 5000 footbraking, it stays above that rpm the rest of the time. I compared a Holley Strip Dominator and Weiand Stealth one weekend (I swapped at the track from one day to the next) and while performance was close, the Holley single plane did run better. I also keep track of all of my runs with a weather station/predictor. That helps to compensate for some of the variables as long as it has reasonably accurate info put into it. It's really hard to eliminate all of the variables..

When you try them, try to keep tabs on the temp. humidity and barometer as well as any wind/breeze and its direction. Any of that can taint the results for an innacurate conclusion. The single plane may need a touch more jet and a bit more squirter because it has a bigger plenum. I actually stagger-jetted the Weiand dual plane with richer jets by 2-3 #'s on the deeper side of the plenum (or leaner on the shallow side, depending how you look at it). I did that because I actually noticed a color pattern among the plugs between cylinders fed by each level when I had them all in a holder. But the Air Gap may act differently.

The Victor may also have a bigger plenum than the M-1! But since each combo is different, I can't offer more specific tuning tips. Gotta see how each change affects your specific combo.

Hi Roy I'll let you know fri night if I'm going. I've got your card . if I can't find it I'll post info. Nice hereing from you, thanks Gary

I would run the jetting you have first. The signal to the carb changes dramatically with the single plane so you may find you will need more jet and as Loco said more squirtor. But for comparisons I wouldn't touch the carb until after you baseline the new intake.

i would run the jetting you have first. The signal to the carb changes dramatically with the single plane so you may find you will need more jet and as loco said more squirtor. But for comparisons i wouldn't touch the carb until after you baseline the new intake.
hi moper i'll take your advice and make a couple of runs on old jetting. Thanks gary

-
Back