Is this the correct book for small blocks?

-

Woodsman341

Reaction score
I saw in a post some time ago that there is one book considered to be better among builders, especially for people like me who are experienced with repair, remove and replace, and general overhaul, but who haven't done an actual rebuild from crank to valves. Is this the book?
I can't find what I'm looking for through the search function.

Also, given my lack of high end tools, I'll have a machine shop deck and bore, scope the block, etc, but feel confident in my ability to assemble properly machined parts. :)

71YMvK5n5mL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The BEST book on rebuilding is the Factory Service Manual.
The others all have some value as far as tricks or interchangeability between years, but the first book you should always buy (or download, if that is your preference) is the FSM.

The BEST book on rebuilding is the Factory Service Manual.
The others all have some value as far as tricks or interchangeability between years, but the first book you should always buy (or download, if that is your preference) is the FSM.

I do have the year-specific FSM, but wondering if something like this would be useful, and you've pretty much answered. :)

Much appreciated!

Although I do not have personal experience of that particular book; in the past I have found books printed by S-A designs to provide adequate information. In my experience, I read everything I could get my hands on. The Mopar Performance engine book is an excellent source, as is "How to Hot Rod Small Block Mopars" by Larry Shepard. You can't know too much, reguardless of what it is you are building/rebuilding. Put pen to paper, write out what you want, it helps to clarify your ideas, then you can study your reference book(s) to acheave your goal.

Good luck

Although I do not have personal experience of that particular book; in the past I have found books printed by S-A designs to provide adequate information. In my experience, I read everything I could get my hands on. The Mopar Performance engine book is an excellent source, as is "How to Hot Rod Small Block Mopars" by Larry Shepard. You can't know too much, reguardless of what it is you are building/rebuilding. Put pen to paper, write out what you want, it helps to clarify your ideas, then you can study your reference book(s) to acheave your goal.

Good luck

My REAL goal is to build my 360 to have at least 300 HP, but remain very easy to use as a regular street driver, without going all power crazy, if that makes sense. It should be doable, right? I see guys posting about making them into 408 strokers hitting over 400 horses, so with a mild cam and a few other goodies (which I'm not sure of yet), it shouldn't be hard to go from the stock 270s to 300, I think. Why 300? Mainly just so I can say it has 300 or 310 or whatever. Why not 400? I don't want to drive around with a big ol' cam and a loping idle. Same reason I want to swap my 3.91 Sure Grip for something like 3.23 Sure Grip. I know z I'm rambling, but it's super bowl Sunday and I don't watch that, so there. :)

Good reference book. Some of the stuff in those books about blocks, wall thickness etc in them is folly.

It will definitely have good info about processes and approaches. Some of the info may be outdated by better things done today.

Building a 300hp 360 is easy and can run like your grandmas ol 318 at idle. An all stock 360, even the low compression models, 4 barrel intake with a XE262-268 or lunati voodoo 401-402 cam will get there no issue. .460-.480 lift cam should do the trick.

I saw in a post some time ago that there is one book considered to be better among builders, especially for people like me who are experienced with repair, remove and replace, and general overhaul, but who haven't done an actual rebuild from crank to valves. Is this the book?

Also, given my lack of high end tools, I'll have a machine shop deck and bore, scope the block, etc, but feel confident in my ability to assemble properly machined parts. :)

View attachment 1716048773
If you are looking for assembly procedures with photos that is a good one.

If you are looking for a book for helping you select parts to build power then there are no good ones. All of the performance books are pretty much outdated by the time they are printed as parts are discontinued. In this case, use a good machine shop, tell them what your goals are, let them spec the build, and then you can assemble it.

You should be able to pick up some performance "tweaks" from this book also. It's an old school book that gets into some heavy duty race stuff, but there are several pointers on honing, valve jobs and such that are beneficial to stock-type rebuilds as well. I don't know if it's still available or if it may have a different cover on it now.

Mopar engine book.jpg

You should be able to pick up some performance "tweaks" from this book also. It's an old school book that gets into some heavy duty race stuff, but there are several pointers on honing, valve jobs and such that are beneficial to stock-type rebuilds as well. I don't know if it's still available or if it may have a different cover on it now.

View attachment 1716048963
Excellent book. Had that exact early edition copy in 1983 after buying my first Mopar. The book disappeared long ago and when it was time to get back into Mopars that was the first book I re-bought. Still relevant. Good info in that one. iMO, one book is not enough though. It takes a combination, some are a little vague or not as in depth as needed. Great here, lacking there. The more the better I say

the FSM is a must have, IMO. the Mopar Performance "A engines" book is a great resource. if had to pick one to compliment those two, it would be the larry shepard "how to hot rod small block mopars". also, that book has a "recipe list" in the back for engine combinations for specific power levels.

having many points of reference is always a good thing, the more literature the better.

300+ HP on pump gas with mild manners should be a breeze. 9.5:1 compression, a cam under .500 with reasonable duration, airgap and something in the 750cfm range, headers or 340 manifolds.

unless you enjoy the work, or want to do it for the experience, having the machine shop assemble the bottom end won't set you back much more money and you can breeze thru the rest of assembly.

That may be the first book I ever got.

The "320" HP 360 crate motor was a bone stock production line 5.9 with a aluminum intake, possibly valve spring upgrade and I think it even had the stock cam.

Have you got a writer or publisher?
Thanks guys!

Excellent book. Had that exact early edition copy in 1983 after buying my first Mopar. The book disappeared long ago and when it was time to get back into Mopars that was the first book I re-bought. Still relevant. Good info in that one. iMO, one book is not enough though. It takes a combination, some are a little vague or not as in depth as needed. Great here, lacking there. The more the better I say

My REAL goal is to build my 360 to have at least 300 HP, but remain very easy to use as a regular street driver, without going all power crazy, if that makes sense. It should be doable, right? I see guys posting about making them into 408 strokers hitting over 400 horses, so with a mild cam and a few other goodies (which I'm not sure of yet), it shouldn't be hard to go from the stock 270s to 300, I think. Why 300? Mainly just so I can say it has 300 or 310 or whatever. Why not 400? I don't want to drive around with a big ol' cam and a loping idle. Same reason I want to swap my 3.91 Sure Grip for something like 3.23 Sure Grip. I know z I'm rambling, but it's super bowl Sunday and I don't watch that, so there. :)
What year 360? What heads do you have?

As many have said already, the more information the better. There are many threads on this forum with revelant and current information on what does and doesn’t work to meet your goals.I was like you and was not looking to build a street monster with no street manners. I put my engine together during the winter of 2021, and due to budget and availability of parts it came together as a 9:1 408 stroker. Car has tons of torque and good driveability.Estimate it to be around 350hp. Ps. I don’t watch football either.lol RJ

Have you got a writer or publisher?
Thanks guys!
There is a book #/code, probably on the back, that can be used for a look-up at a big book store. On mine I believe it's:

ISBN 0-931472-03-02

S-A Design Publishing Company

By Larry Schreib & Larry Atherton

The one 12many posted may be the same book, just with a different cover.

That's a good one, the first book I bought in the 70's.

There is a book #/code, probably on the back, that can be used for a look-up at a big book store. On mine I believe it's:

ISBN 0-931472-03-02

Same book, 1990 edition of the 1978 1st edition. Only the cover is different. Same ISBN #, also shows the Part No.: 03-2

For a beginner this book is very good. Used it to build my first engine at 19.

Amazon product ASIN B001CYIZUU

That books ^^^^^^ is what I built my first engine from. Good book. That’ll get you going for sure.

Thanks guys, I thought the cover posted by @12many looked familiar lol. I've dug into the other 2. But looks like i havent checked this one out yet.

ISBN 0-931472-03-02

That's a good one, the first book I bought in the 70's.

Same book, 1990 edition of the 1978 1st edition. Only the cover is different. Same ISBN #, also shows the Part No.: 03-2

20230212_205100.jpg

20230212_205515.jpg

Last edited:

That should give you all the information that you'll need

I have one of Larry Sheppard's book and the one you posted originally... I use Sheppard's book constantly and highly recommend it. I think I have opened the other one a half dozen times in 10 years and honestly I dont recommend it. There is nothing in that first book you couldn't get from the FSM.

-
Back