issue with AMD Demon floor pan..please help newbie

-
Ive been watching this thread for the last day or so. Did you "brace" the car before cutting out the old floor?? Could there maybe be a "twist" in the frame from a fender-bender maybe causing the issues?? I dont know, I just thought I would throw it out there??? Your getting close, and have way more patience then me!

Ive been watching this thread for the last day or so. Did you "brace" the car before cutting out the old floor?? Could there maybe be a "twist" in the frame from a fender-bender maybe causing the issues?? I dont know, I just thought I would throw it out there??? Your getting close, and have way more patience then me!

thanks for the idea, i dont think there is any problem with the stucture of the car, i think the floor just needs some tweeking. its very close,

Hey, no sweat, I cant offer much advice, only in the form of questions...LOL. Like you said yer getting close..

Man I've done alot of AMD pans and they all need tweaking but i have never had one fit as bad as yours, The last one i did was done in 1 day with a little amount of fitting,
And yes always start your plug welding on the cross members first. And finish at the pinch weld and seat pan.If ya can't get it to fit tight on the x members i'd send it back and get a replacement.

Throw some bags of sand or cement in there to hold the pan down and see if that helps.

Man I've done alot of AMD pans and they all need tweaking but i have never had one fit as bad as yours, The last one i did was done in 1 day with a little amount of fitting,
And yes always start your plug welding on the cross members first. And finish at the pinch weld and seat pan.If ya can't get it to fit tight on the x members i'd send it back and get a replacement.

do you really think its that bad? im new at this and this is my 1st attempt at fitting panels so i dont know a whole lot, just learning as i go. i have it very close, right now its just the sides of the trans hump that are about 1/8 of a inch from the crossmember.which i dont think i can get any closer as everything else lines up fine to me

do you really think its that bad? im new at this and this is my 1st attempt at fitting panels so i dont know a whole lot, just learning as i go. i have it very close, right now its just the sides of the trans hump that are about 1/8 of a inch from the crossmember.which i dont think i can get any closer as everything else lines up fine to me
Wow 1/8th'' is nothing to worry about!! your pic's look like it's 3'' lol. If ya have it that close plug weld your x members then you can massage your trany hump to fit,If everything else fits tight start welding!!!

Wow 1/8th'' is nothing to worry about!! your pic's look like it's 3'' lol. If ya have it that close plug weld your x members then you can massage your trany hump to fit,If everything else fits tight start welding!!!

oh ok, lol you got me worried there.. maybe u can answer a question i have, why dont they weld the sides of the hump?

but to get it to 1/8'' i have to jack up the trans mount and push down on the floor to to get a fit on the top, which it is now. i think it will be ok, it will just take a lot of tweaking as i weld

Pull it together the rest of the way with self tapping sheet metal screws available at your local hardware store. Then take one screw out at a time and weld that hole shut. Start from middle and work your way out.

Don't weld until you get it together-I have never had this much of a problem with fitment.Wish you were closer,that just shouldn't be that tough.

Don't weld until you get it together-I have never had this much of a problem with fitment.Wish you were closer,that just shouldn't be that tough.

what do you mean by dont weld until i get it together? do you mean dont weld until i have a perfect fit? lol i also wish i could get someone that has done this before to to help me out putting it in, now that i few of u have said i shouldnt have this much problems makes me think if there is something else wrong that i dont see :S im im fairly confindent that i got it close enough to start welding, as i start to weld i wil lbe able to push it down as i go.
can anyone recomend the proper sheetmetal screws to use? or is any kind ok?

I keep looking at these pics to try to see a problem-so far no good.I agree-I don't see you getting a perfect fit here but once you use self tapping screws-you have bought the floor.Not saying that is not a good idea-just saying it shouldn't happen this way.

#8 self drilling screws. #8 refers to their size, they are available in different lengths. You get a Phillips screw bit for your drill and the screws will "self drill" themselves right in. You don't need to drill a hole first, the screws drill the hole themselves. They look like this:

http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/PL2-0804/8-18-x-12quot-Pan-Self-Drill-Screws

You can get them at Lowes, Home Depot, your local hardware store. They save a lot of time cause you hold it, put drill on it, zip one in, and then go to the next.

#8 self drilling screws. #8 refers to their size, they are available in different lengths. You get a Phillips screw bit for your drill and the screws will "self drill" themselves right in. You don't need to drill a hole first, the screws drill the hole themselves. They look like this:

http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/PL2-0804/8-18-x-12quot-Pan-Self-Drill-Screws

You can get them at Lowes, Home Depot, your local hardware store. They save a lot of time cause you hold it, put drill on it, zip one in, and then go to the next.

ok thanks for the info, its helps out a lot. now will these screws also work on the crossmember?

Yes, the screws should self drill into the cross member. By the way McFeelys is really good to deal with and they have high quality stuff.

I keep looking at these pics to try to see a problem-so far no good.I agree-I don't see you getting a perfect fit here but once you use self tapping screws-you have bought the floor.Not saying that is not a good idea-just saying it shouldn't happen this way.

I don't think he has posted up any pics where he got it 1/8" away from cross member. The last pic of the floor hump to cross member hump, yeah there is a big gap. If I understand correctly he is saying he has since got that gap closed up.

I don't think he has posted up any pics where he got it 1/8" away from cross member. The last pic of the floor hump to cross member hump, yeah there is a big gap. If I understand correctly he is saying he has since got that gap closed up.

yes i havent posted a pic yet of it with the 1/8 gap, have to wait till monday. the last pics i lost of the gap it was about a 1/4" all the way around the hump
as of now its 1/8" just on the sides of the hump

I don't know if you have Fastenall up there,but that is another source

I think its ok to pull it in with screws if its only 1/8" of a gap that should work. Just make sure to screw the top down first and then work you way toward the outside of the car.

what size of mig wire would be recommended to plug weld the floor into place? my mig is set up for .30 right now, is that fine or will it cause to much burn through?

I have good luck with .030 wire for spot welds.Try one or two weld if you have issues go to .025 wire

-
Back