James’ 1974 W200 build

-
Well I got the motor and trans in today. Not as bad as I thought. Hopefully I can do a fire up and cam break in this weekend if I get the front clip on in the next couple days. Still gotta make some brake lines.

Not sure if I want to mount the disc/drum combination valve in the frame like the factory did, it mounts different than the old drum/drum valve so I’d have to drill a new set holes. Or mount it under the master cylinder like the street rod guys do.

26C751F5-19FC-4C35-A5D3-10814256ED82.jpeg
BA1B0033-80E2-4103-A202-59CB49EBF626.jpeg
07695FCE-2642-42C0-85BA-B02B193F32E7.jpeg
0C90FAA8-28A1-4931-9D41-08E8355F95E2.jpeg
468BD350-C35C-42B4-9AEE-64670A8B6632.jpeg

WOW Stacked lift blocks?? Scary! I thought my 74 Warwagon was the only one that had those!! When I got it had THREE sets of regular 3" aftermarket lift blocks in the rear. And the factory tabbed blocks ON THE FRONT AXLE!@#$# It was a disaster waiting to happen. I fixed all that mess FIRST THING. BTW my 74 was also a NP 435/ Divorced 205 drivetrain. But it had Dana 60 35 spline full floaters front and rear. Front was already discs. That was a fun truck for sure. Yours looks WAAAY cleaner that mine. Great find for sure.
WarWagon1.jpg

WOW Stacked lift blocks?? Scary! I thought my 74 Warwagon was the only one that had those!! When I got it had THREE sets of regular 3" aftermarket lift blocks in the rear. And the factory tabbed blocks ON THE FRONT AXLE!@#$# It was a disaster waiting to happen. I fixed all that mess FIRST THING. BTW my 74 was also a NP 435/ Divorced 205 drivetrain. But it had Dana 60 35 spline full floaters front and rear. Front was already discs. That was a fun truck for sure. Yours looks WAAAY cleaner that mine. Great find for sure.
View attachment 1715709029
Blocks in the front are scary!! Wow. Lol. You have a good truck there. I think a divorced transfer case is the only way to go. I used to not like them, but damn it makes things way easier. 205’s are hard to beat.

Blocks in the front are scary!! Wow. Lol. You have a good truck there. I think a divorced transfer case is the only way to go. I used to not like them, but damn it makes things way easier. 205’s are hard to beat.
For sure, gear driven, NO chains is the only way to go. Here's some shot of when I was changing out the tired 318 for a 71 340!! First picture is when I was pulling out the 318 @ -25 OUTSIDE!!! in Fairbanks AK back in the late 90's. The second & third pictures are during the install in a warm shop on base. You will notice on the driver side inner fender a trickle charger and 4 way plug inside the Tupperware. They were used as the truck was my daily driver even @ -50!! Sadly the truck is long gone. But it was a GREAT project.
WarWagonII02.jpg
tp%3a%2f%2fwww.off-road.com%2faimages%2farticlestandard%2fdodge%2f452005%2f194177%2fWarWagonII03.jpg

WarWagonII04.jpg

WarWagon2.jpg

Today I scraped grease, gunk, and undercoating. Then sprayed liberal amounts of purple power, and pressure washed with hot water. Came out nice and clean. Blow dry with my leaf blower, and installed my rebuilt transfer case.

View attachment 1715697965 View attachment 1715697966 View attachment 1715697967
I was wondering what rebuild kit you used for the transfer case? I see them on Summit for like 118 from us bearing and then I've seen them up and well over $200 from other places?...
Your transfer case has sure inspired me to gut mine out before I take my frame and axels down for powder coating and have it powder coated as well..
Thank you...

I was wondering what rebuild kit you used for the transfer case? I see them on Summit for like 118 from us bearing and then I've seen them up and well over $200 from other places?...
Your transfer case has sure inspired me to gut mine out before I take my frame and axels down for powder coating and have it powder coated as well..
Thank you...
I got all my transmission and transfer case rebuild parts from Torque King. You have to call him and have him put together a complete rebuild kit for you. It kinda gets confusing when ya have to piece it together yourself. He has all quality US made stuff.
Dodge NP205 Transfer Case Parts, Tools, Info 1972-1993

maybe this is new. I didn’t see this master rebuild option when I did mine.

TK2025 NP205 Remote Mount Master Overhaul Kit for 32 Spline Input

For sure, gear driven, NO chains is the only way to go. Here's some shot of when I was changing out the tired 318 for a 71 340!! First picture is when I was pulling out the 318 @ -25 OUTSIDE!!! in Fairbanks AK back in the late 90's. The second & third pictures are during the install in a warm shop on base. You will notice on the driver side inner fender a trickle charger and 4 way plug inside the Tupperware. They were used as the truck was my daily driver even @ -50!! Sadly the truck is long gone. But it was a GREAT project.
View attachment 1715709051View attachment 1715709052
View attachment 1715709053
View attachment 1715709054
Temperatures in the negatives. I can’t even imagine. I have my diesel burning smudge pot running full blast when it’s in the 40’s!!

I got all my transmission and transfer case rebuild parts from Torque King. You have to call him and have him put together a complete rebuild kit for you. It kinda gets confusing when ya have to piece it together yourself. He has all quality US made stuff.
Dodge NP205 Transfer Case Parts, Tools, Info 1972-1993

maybe this is new. I didn’t see this master rebuild option when I did mine.

TK2025 NP205 Remote Mount Master Overhaul Kit for 32 Spline Input
I wonder what the deal is? I mean over $250 more and it really in the picture seem like you're getting the same stuff? It's called USA bearing LOL.. it sure leaves the impression they're made in the USA or maybe just packaged in the USA who knows?.. the difference between 108 and 369 is a pretty big swing...

I wonder what the deal is? I mean over $250 more and it really in the picture seem like you're getting the same stuff? It's called USA bearing LOL.. it sure leaves the impression they're made in the USA or maybe just packaged in the USA who knows?.. the difference between 108 and 369 is a pretty big swing...
I didn’t think to check for a rebuild kit at summit.
108 bucks. I don’t know what brand of bearings and seals they use. Most of the parts in mine were US made stamped on the bearing, a couple others were made in Japan, with a brand name, I looked into was good quality bearing. But I don’t know, does it really matter?? ****, get the summit kit. Should be fine.
USA Standard Gear ZTBK205RDF USA Standard Gear Transfer Case Bearing Kits | Summit Racing

Okay I mounted the rebuilt disc/drum combination valve I took off the 1 ton truck. I had to drill a couple new holes in the frame to get the factory bracket to work. I originally wanted to mount it under the master but this way is more factory, and the wiring plugs right in as well without having to lengthen the wire, so this way was certainly better.
I bent and flared new lines, each and every bend is me getting under the truck and making a mark for my next bend. LOL. It was a huge pain in the *** but I got it. Moving on.

6F82D69A-E8F9-464C-97A3-420091EAF6AD.jpeg
E5972695-C9EF-43B1-9E96-93F4D086A776.jpeg
DCFE1251-959B-46E1-948B-9385B1A41F3F.jpeg
5D30EF1F-C896-4D4A-9099-605CABA82B50.jpeg
80A46FE7-DEE0-46DE-B29C-4B90AE40EAB8.jpeg

I noticed in the fifth picture you had a dial indicator? Was there a spec you were looking for? And on which part was that?.. or parts?... Did the kit come with shims?

I noticed in the fifth picture you had a dial indicator? Was there a spec you were looking for? And on which part was that?.. or parts?... Did the kit come with shims?
**** I think we was measuring the rear axle output shaft preload. And the shitty thing is, is that in order to check the preload or change the preload you had to damn near fully assemble the Motherfucker, and then take it all back apart.

ya also gotta check the idler gear bearing endplay.

**** I think we was measuring the rear axle output shaft preload. And the shitty thing is, is that in order to check the preload or change the preload you had to damn near fully assemble the Motherfucker, and then take it all back apart.

ya also gotta check the idler gear bearing endplay.
Good night I'm going to have to buy a book for that too...
I'm totally following in your foot tracks here so I did order that Summit rebuild kit tonight.
Can't find a GM Dana 44 on Craigslist...

More help needed...
This is for sale local...
Says gm, but no mention of the year..
Said bought from a friend for project so doubt if he knows much either...
What do ya think..?.
$450 for both Axel's, said has springs and drivelines... I'd like to try and just get the front...
Screenshot_20210324-212645.png

More help needed...
This is for sale local...
Says gm, but no mention of the year..
Said bought from a friend for project so doubt if he knows much either...
What do ya think..?.
$450 for both Axel's, said has springs and drivelines... I'd like to try and just get the front...
View attachment 1715713352
Offer a 100 for the front axle, MAYBE he’ll bite. But if you can get that axle for 200 or 225, that’s about the going rate. That’s the one ya need, though.

the rear looks like it could be a 14 bolt, good axle, strong, but they are a dime a dozen. I wouldn’t pay more than 150 for the rear... they are literally under almost any GM 3/4 ton anything. Lol

Offer a 100 for the front axle, MAYBE he’ll bite. But if you can get that axle for 200 or 225, that’s about the going rate. That’s the one ya need, though.
Well I shot an email and that's the only contact way he left. It's getting late tonight so I doubt if I'll hear anything tomorrow if that but that's the only game going... Appreciate your help I have no clue...

the rear looks like it could be a 14 bolt, good axle, strong, but they are a dime a dozen. I wouldn’t pay more than 150 for the rear... they are literally under almost any GM 3/4 ton anything. Lol
well the guy called me this morning and his phone number came up as somebody I knew go figure! I talked to him and told him what I needed and he really wants to get rid of it all and said he'd give me it all for $350 so I'm probably going to jump on it because it's really the only game in town of course this stuff was plentiful 15 years ago but now it's not. I still have the chance of selling the rear end and anything else left to recoup a little bit of money... But he said it is what I need the 77 8 lug Dana 44....

well the guy called me this morning and his phone number came up as somebody I knew go figure! I talked to him and told him what I needed and he really wants to get rid of it all and said he'd give me it all for $350 so I'm probably going to jump on it because it's really the only game in town of course this stuff was plentiful 15 years ago but now it's not. I still have the chance of selling the rear end and anything else left to recoup a little bit of money... But he said it is what I need the 77 8 lug Dana 44....
Okay. I’d buy it all for 350. That’s a good price. ****, maybe list that rear axle for 300 and go down from there. Lol. You could still potentially sell the front axle after you’re done robbing the brakes off it, if the gears are good, etc. if you can sell it all in time, it could be a wash. :)

Well I got ONE of my drive lines made. LOL I started with the rear first. I had a local shop build em, he suggested seamless heavy wall 3” tube with super HD splines, 1410 spicers on both ends. Painted Orange GlitterBlast! LOL. I need 2 more made. ****. LOL Maybe next week or so.
302B1D3A-B159-498F-AF3D-C771AC41C9D2.jpeg
3E2CDE9B-A246-449F-8159-B4C544369A0B.jpeg
92554C27-C0F4-4B12-97B9-48FA74A37664.jpeg
42C56D3C-3AEF-4BB9-84A4-B6835C1D5922.jpeg

I got the front clip on today. It sits a touch lower in the back, I don’t like that. I may put the factory 4” spacer block back under the rear springs. I’ll get the radiator in, the fan, etc. hook up a little tac. Maybe I can start it and do a break in tomorrow.

5DC99B31-D2CB-40FD-8FE5-6DD5798E5263.jpeg
8B7BEEE4-336A-46F8-82A1-1282F8C6DD53.jpeg
178FCD0D-53AF-47D9-B449-A6CDECA44446.jpeg

What kind of lift do you have on the front?...
That is a skyjacker 4” lift. I have a 1” drop bracket on the front and long shackle, so that gives me an inch, and the Dana 60 has 1” taller spring pads so i should have a total of 6” lift up front

I’m also having a power issue. I have a brand new AGM battery I bought today. I plug in all the wires from the bulkhead, all the little plugs from the front clip. I have power on the engine/ firewall side, but nothing in the cab side. No Headlights, interior, dash, cab, No key on power, absolutely nothing. I don’t know what the hell.
All I did was take the front clip off A couple Months ago and put it back on today

I’m also having a power issue. I have a brand new AGM battery I bought today. I plug in all the wires from the bulkhead, all the little plugs from the front clip. I have power on the engine/ firewall side, but nothing in the cab side. No Headlights, interior, dash, cab, No key on power, absolutely nothing. I don’t know what the hell.
All I did was take the front clip off A couple Months ago and put it back on today
I'm sure you'll find that easy enough..

-
Back