...Just a start on the 72 DART.

-

72 DART MANN

Reaction score
just getting started on my budget build . I'm doing a in my driveway restoration, plans to make a cool driver for under 1000 smackers. here is some progress i have done in the first week i have owned this .

Attachments

• DSCN2178.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 554
  • DSCN2179.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 547
  • DSCN2183.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 525
  • DSCN2185.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 542
  • DSCN2194.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 574
Please tell me the whole car will be black...

... yes sir, kinda .lol..it is gonna be a black and a cream two tone. tomorrow I will be cutting out some rust,lower door,rear quarters,and and patching it up. pics to come..:glasses7:

Here is some more of my hackery ,lol.
I am by no means a body guy..I am self taught by the wonderful youtube...lol

Attachments

• DSCN2187.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 508
  • DSCN2190.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 482
  • DSCN2196.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 481
  • DSCN2197.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 489
  • DSCN2188.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 497
:???: Does any of you guys know the best place to get a molded plastic dash cover?

shows what can be done, if a person decides he CAN do it. yes a little advise and pointers go a long way! and you can say " I did it" and be proud of your work!!

shows what can be done, if a person decides he CAN do it. yes a little advise and pointers go a long way! and you can say " I did it" and be proud of your work!!
yep yep.there's a guy on youtube channel ,look up 'hack n pack" he does alot of how to vids on body work for the "driveway custom jobs'' ..i'm doing this car on the cheap.gonna be spraying this with my harbor freight spray gun and 10 gal compressor.

I use the throw away inline oil / water filters. the red ones from harbor freight:D.

This is the other side ,more body work...then jumped back to pass side and blacked out jambs.

Attachments

• DSCN2260.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 373
  • DSCN2245.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 371
  • DSCN2242.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 353
  • DSCN2243.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 356
  • DSCN2246.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 380
  • DSCN2261.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 346
  • DSCN2257.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 383
  • DSCN2258.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 382
  • DSCN2259.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 347
finished up the jambs yesterday, today was 'junk in the trunk' day.lol.:rolleyes:
moving right along ,gonna paint roof probably Friday.The car is gonna be white top w/ black body .
I'm torn between antique white (off white) or straight white. any input would be appreciated..:???:

Attachments

• DSCN2272.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 350
  • DSCN2271.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 365
  • DSCN2269.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 328
I'm impressed. I think you are doing a great job. Are you just cutting out the rust and filling with fiberglass and then using bondo to smooth over?

Just curious.:happy1:

I restored mine in my driveway too lol. We work with what we have.

I'm impressed. I think you are doing a great job. Are you just cutting out the rust and filling with fiberglass and then using bondo to smooth over?

Just curious.:happy1:
Well kinda...
step 1) cut out the rust

2) sheet metal patch

3) short hair fiber glass

4) bondo filler

5) sealer primer/filler primer

.... and I went and under coated the frame/ uni body with the rubber snot then sprayed over that w/ a rustolium satin blk , w/ 1 qt mixed w/ acetone 1 qt to thin it a bit.

Well kinda...
step 1) cut out the rust

2) sheet metal patch

3) short hair fiber glass

4) bondo filler

5) sealer primer/filler primer

.... and I went and under coated the frame/ uni body with the rubber snot then sprayed over that w/ a rustolium satin blk , w/ 1 qt mixed w/ acetone 1 qt to thin it a bit.

Nice.

sanded / taped / painted ...6 hrs later..:shock:

Attachments

• DSCN2427.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 276
  • DSCN2430.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 269
  • DSCN2432.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 265
  • DSCN2433.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 258
  • DSCN2435.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 258
  • DSCN2436.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 251
  • DSCN2438.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 269
I would go with off white top...maybe even a 'metallic'...that or a silver metallic.
yep yep ,went w/ the antique white. is my special mix of white and almond ,a simple enamel one stage paint job under way.:cheers:

I have the same sort of issues on my ride but I'm not sure of how to attack the problem as I've never done it before and I don't have the $ for a full blown restore.
Your Dart looks great! Looks like you learned what you needed to know from Hck and Pack.
Thanks!

Another way to go is Rustoleum straight out of the can (after mixing) with a small sponge roller in one hand and a 2" brush in the other. Less masking than spray. Made a turd Camry presentable for my Grandson's first car.

Another way to go is Rustoleum straight out of the can (after mixing) with a small sponge roller in one hand and a 2" brush in the other. Less masking than spray. Made a turd Camry presentable for my Grandson's first car.
Funny you say...I wasnt gonna let the cat out of the bag till I was finished.
I'm using rustoleum 1 qt of white right from lowes .I mix it 50/50 w/ acetone then spray it w/ my habour/frieght 10$ sprayer powered by a h/f 10 gal compressor..bought the gal of gloss blk today .lil more sanding and I hope to spray it this weekend..more pics to come.:happy1:

-
Back