Just dumped all my tranny fluid!

-
So, if my A904 is toast, is there another automatic that's pretty much a "bolt in" swap? Not having much luck finding any used A904's in the area. Just looking on Craigslist and Ebay right now but not seeing anything any cheaper than buying the TCI from Summit. Just exploring all my options. Thanks!

If it needs rebuilding, I might just buy a TCI. Opinions?

Last tranny company i'd buy anything from..know what T.C.I. stands for??

Total Crap Incorporated buyer beware!!

Build it yourself. The 904 is the easiest automatic transmission there is to build.

Last tranny company i'd buy anything from..know what T.C.I. stands for??

Total Crap Incorporated buyer beware!!
Lol. Thanks for the tip! Any experience with these guys? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pma-pa12102/overview/

Build it yourself. The 904 is the easiest automatic transmission there is to build.
Never done a tranny before. Don't really have a good place/bench/shop to do it the way it should be done. Auto trannys are a complete mystery to me. Given time, I could read up on it and probably get it done. Just don't have the time or place to right now. Hopefully, I'll find a good, honest, cheap, professional, knowledgeable, experienced builder with professional morals and integrity....yeah, RIGHT!

Like RRR said you need to pull it first and see what the real issue is.

Was it working OK after you put the engine and trans back in, and how many miles have you driven since re-installation and your mishap the other day?

When you removed everything last year did you pull the engine and trans together?

Lol. Thanks for the tip! Any experience with these guys? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pma-pa12102/overview/

Never done a tranny before. Don't really have a good place/bench/shop to do it the way it should be done. Auto trannys are a complete mystery to me. Given time, I could read up on it and probably get it done. Just don't have the time or place to right now. Hopefully, I'll find a good, honest, cheap, professional, knowledgeable, experienced builder with professional morals and integrity....yeah, RIGHT!

Your kitchen table works nicely. Wash parts in the sink; the drain will be really clean! You can do it in a weekend; even being green. I hear this excuse all the time, where there is a will there is a way. Know your machine, then you won't have to be at the mercy of someone else.

Like RRR said you need to pull it first and see what the real issue is.

Was it working OK after you put the engine and trans back in, and how many miles have you driven since re-installation and your mishap the other day?

When you removed everything last year did you pull the engine and trans together?

My friend will put it on his lift and pull it out for me. Then we can survey the damage. Yes, I pulled the engine/tranny together, changed the seals and gaskets on both, and put it back in. That was in October. Been driving it every day, 100 mile round trip commute to work, so probably put about 3000 miles on it since then. Backtracked on my trip from the parts store to the gas station from yesterday, about 1/4 mile, and the river of tranny fluid starts less than 100 yards from the gas station. So I drove about 400 yards then something blew. Even slowed down (not a full stop) to turn onto the road to work, by the station. Didn't get over 40mph and no clowning around either. I have no idea what happened. I don't hot rod or anything. Actually, I drive like grandpa. She never sees over 60mph, even on the highway.

Your kitchen table works nicely. Wash parts in the sink; the drain will be really clean! You can do it in a weekend; even being green. I hear this excuse all the time, where there is a will there is a way. Know your machine, then you won't have to be at the mercy of someone else.
Haha! I'll run that by my wife and see if she's ok with it. If I was a single man I'd do it in a heartbeat! I agree wholeheartedly with you on the rest. That's why I drive "vintage" vehicles in the first place.

Run this by the wife. Tell her you can buy a couple of books for under fifty bucks, tear it down use the sink to wash it off and the table to assemble it. OR you can take it to somebody you don't know and risk getting bent over the kitchen table for over a grand.

Are you sure a line did'nt let go and was spraying fluid toward the bellhousing?

Sounds really sudden like to be a bushing or seal failure. Dissasembly will show the problem thats for sure. Best of luck and hope it is minor.

I asked...she said no. At least she didn't throw anything at me....this time. Btw, she wants the $1000 present anyway. Lol.

Or do what I do...ditch the fem-amatic
and put in a 4-speed with a centerforce clutch !!!

Already planning on worse case scenario, replacement. Anything less is a bonus. Gonna let friend who towed it, pull it and give me a damage report. He knows a rebuilder and can get me a decent deal. Known him a long time, work with his wife. He's honest and a straight shooter, no BS and no sugar coating. I trust him and whoever he trusts. If it needs rebuilding, I might just buy a TCI. Opinions?

And I tell ya what, I will give you another option, ship it to my shop, pay for the parts and I will rebuild it for free.....of course that's shipping both ways, but still.

I have done thousands of them, like rrr said, there are super simple to build.

And I tell ya what, I will give you another option, ship it to my shop, pay for the parts and I will rebuild it for free.....of course that's shipping both ways, but still.
Wow! That is a generous offer. Let me see what's up with it first but I might take you up on that. Where are you?

Are you sure a line did'nt let go and was spraying fluid toward the bellhousing?

Sounds really sudden like to be a bushing or seal failure. Dissasembly will show the problem thats for sure. Best of luck and hope it is minor.

X2 I have seen this before or steel line rubbing against case and made a hole.

I had a line bust and drop all the fluid out. Fixed the fine, refilled the transmission and it was good to go. Drove it thousands of miles after fixing the line. Maybe you'll be lucky!

Pump seal holds back drops.

If it is the pump, then it is the bushing letting all that fluid out or worse.
We have a winner! And it's the "or worse". TC wobbled around and took the pump housing and TC both. Full rebuild requiring new front pump and who knows what else. She was already slipping in drive, uphill at low rpm so maybe other "hard" parts required. Taking it to an old tranny guy with a good local reputation for full diagnosis and estimate.

-
Back