Just Thinking what do you all think

-

38 Dodge

Reaction score
I just picked up a 241 Hemi engine and looking at what I should do with it so it came to me that I just might put into the 62 Valiant Wagon. What does everyone here think about that idea?

they really not a power house they can be hopped up a little bit it with a cam regrind and shaved the heads, and block, and higher compression pistons but nothing like the bigger hemis

Not worth it. IMO To heavy not enough HP cost to much and parts to hard to find. What trans will you need and what will it take to make mounts for the set up?

Think an SB would be the easy way to go.

I think it's a great idea. It will make your Valiant wagon stand out and unusual.

If I was going with an early hemi, I'd use a bigger starting point, at least a 331/ 354, and hope for the sky, a 392.

Be aware that Dodge, Desoto, and Chrysler were in most cases different engines, and a few had "part of the bellhousing" built into the block

Parts for some of them can be truely dear to come by.

Be aware that Dodge, Desoto, and Chrysler were in most cases different engines, and a few had "part of the bellhousing" built into the block

Parts for some of them can be truely dear to come by.

only the 331 had the cast to the block bellhousing.

The 241 is very hard to find parts for, but happy hunting.

There are lots of parts through Hot heads and PAW. That is a Dodge Red Ram Hemi, which, because of its compact size, (it is the smallest and lightest of the early Hemis), will fit in places the larger Desotos and Chryslers cannot. The 241 is actually within 5 pounds of a small block. Do your research. Don't listen to people who spout it off. You can build a damn nice little engine between Hot Heads and PAW and have something real different.

only the 331 had the cast to the block bellhousing.

The 241 is very hard to find parts for, but happy hunting.

THe 331 to 53 had the cast on bellhousing. 54 to 56 had the short block and a bolt on bellhousing like all the rest. I have a 1956 331 out in the shop.

The 241 has lots of parts available. You just have to know where to look.

Thanks for all teh advise I picked this motor and transmission up for 250.00 and it turns over very smooth as soon as I get time I'm going to pull teh heads and see what the cyclinders look like and go from there. For the price I could not pass it up. and I think it would be a cool look for the wagon.

Check out Hot Heads and PAW. Also google "Oregon Cam Grinders". They have lots of nice grinds to choose from and will regrind yours for 70 bucks. Go down to the red square at the bottom of the home page and click it for their different grind lists. It's much cheaper to get your core reground than buying a new custom ground cam. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the amount of parts available. You stole that motor, btw.

Had a friend years ago put a 277 i think hemi in a 69 dart. He never really made it street legal because it was near imposible to get the exhaust hooked up to the stock manifolds. It fit just fine tho and he did drive it some on the back roads around his farm. I say put it in there and just drive it. Not every car has to be fast. Should run and drive just fine.

Not worth it. IMO To heavy not enough HP cost to much and parts to hard to find. What trans will you need and what will it take to make mounts for the set up?

Think an SB would be the easy way to go.

You could walk past 50 identical stroker motors, and yawn, but damn, I'd stop and check that Hemi wagon out no matter how slow it might be. I think it would be a way cool build. :burnout:

thamks for all the input I think I will be working on this install real soon. I going to try and get the Hemi running first then I'll start the install. I will keep up with a post and pictures of the process.

Yea go for it. If you walk around the shows as well as the show and shines, nothing draws more attention than a car with a HEMI even if it's an old one. I was a fool to sell off all the old 354/392 stuff I had years ago. I sold it for pennies on the dollar compared to what it might bring today.:eek:ops:

Bill S.

-
Back