Just Venting, AARRGH...

-

PhillH

Reaction score
I learned a very frustrating thing, in my 71 Scamp the engine and trans will go in as one unit as factory. However when you throw in headers and a six quart oil pan, forget it! No amount of scratches on my newly painted engine, transmission and engine bay will make it happen either. AAARRGGH...

Are the headers attached to the engine already? If so, another option may work. You could always install the mated engine/tranny/headers on the K-frame while it is out of the car and then lower the body over the loaded K-frame. This is how I installed my big-block/tranny/headers. No scratches.....

No, theres no way to have them attached, driver side has the drag link through it. I almost did take the whole k-frame out, almost. Now I wish I had. When I change to the TTI headers in the future I'll be doing it that way. It's so tight on these a-bodies but it sure looks good when it's all together.

If I live long enough to get my 67 back together, I am planning, for the very first time, to install the engine / trans from "under."

Underneath is the way to go, even more so for anyone that's had their entire engine bay repainted.

milodon oil pan?

put them in n out thru the top hundreds of times....

It helps to have the header instructions, I have dropped in from the top with a 10" deep pan and lakewood bellhousing and 4 speed, and with a 727-not easy, and hooker 1.75" headers and 1.875" headers. with an auto I think it's easier to install seperately

I always tie the headers up to inner fender, then put motor in, never tried it with the trans on but always with a deep oil pan on the engine.

Yup the auto trans is the culprit, won't play nice with the headers. Any suggestions on which should go in first, the tranny or the engine? I'm thinking tranny.

I find it a bit easier to put the trans into the engine, rather than the other way around. Easier to get mated up, But you gotta support the back of the engine somehow. YMMV

It's a catch 22. I gotta roll the car out of the garage a bit to get the lift in front of it, so support the engine while rolling it back in is a risk. Unless I could do both in the same stretch, but I dought it.

Last one I did the engine tilted back toward the firewall with no trans hooked to it, I put a board on the oil pan and let it rest on the drag link. No dizzy, front accessories or radiator in it either.

Install the trans and convertor. Then install the engine and bolt them together. Then install the headers. Not a big deal. Be careful and make sure you have a coupled feet of space under the car and a hoist to lift the engine and tilt when needed and you shouldn't scratch anything.

as it sounds like from above is your only option.. (true?) and space is tight enough that you need to be able to move the car.. put the trans and motor in together (you WILL need an engine tilter for this) - this way you'll be able to push the car back and forth to make room for the hoist, motor and trans. Properly tilted and adjusted as you go, the motor and trans will slide in slicker than whale snot.. what everyone else has said about removing the headers, distributor, carburetor and radiator is true. Also, I too have found it best to “pre-install” the headers in the engine bay and held back as previously suggested in this thread…

to help with the angle....jack the rear of the car up ...it will help the trans get into the tunnel...

It took me 20 minutes to install and bolt in. Best way I found to put it together.

Attachments

• 24.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 184
only way I got the motor in and out was with the header collectors fastened to exhaust and wired back to the inners, drop motor inbetween. I still couldnt run studs as there was no room to get headers over them, tight in a narrow 65. I also had the motor mount brackets off the motor. I put them back on from under the car with the motor on a jackstand, exciting!

68RatRod has it down, but SAFETY FIRST! Man, the entire front is hanging on the cherry chain and Chinese hook? Yikes!

You tried to install the engine/trans into the car with headers installed?

NO WAY is that going to happen especially with the pass through style.

I've done motor/tranny together with headers in the car. I just tied the headers aside. However, I did not have an aftermarket deep oil pan. I had the front of the car on ramps, and the engine/tranny have to start out almost vertical. Also, I have always done it with the hood on the car. I just installed a 360/904 together into a duster with the hood on, no problems. No headers either.... lol

You tried to install the engine/trans into the car with headers installed?

NO WAY is that going to happen especially with the pass through style.

No way! They barely going in with them not attached! But they will not go in after engine, only during lowering the engine, and they won't even do that with the trans attached. So I've decided it makes no sense to install the tranny first because I would just have to take it down again to get to the bellhousing bolts, so engine and headers first, then tranny. I hope this is the last time till I can get a new exhaust and headers, aarrgh.

-
Back