k-frame strengthening

-

Fstforward

Barracuda Freak
Reaction score
Ok, I'm getting ready to take my k-frame, the one with the sway bar mount pre-drilled, to my local powder coater. I've seen people mention welding up the k-frame to strengthen it, and it has to be done before getting powder coated, so I was wondering, what all should I hit with the mig to strengthen it??????

Anyone have some pics of what and where?

Thanks in advance

FF

I just finished doing this, basically just weld all the seams solid that are spot welded, most important is to box the steering box area in, I cut some 1/8 in. Plate to fit in the open areas on both sides, this will keep that area from flexing. Some people add washers to the areas where the lower control arm bushing would ride and also where the strut rod bushing bolts, make sure the washer is not thicker than the area that already protrudes at the lower control arm. I also added a skid plate underneath.

And just a note from the cheap seats: Use a tig welder if you can versus a mig. Mig welders, especially without the gas attachment, introduce a LOT of air which heats up and can blow right through your powder and look like a volcano field if the proper steps aren't taken in advance. I assume you've checked your guy's references already and have seen his work for yourself.

Good luck! Post up some pics when you get it back.

I just finished doing this, basically just weld all the seams solid that are spot welded, most important is to box the steering box area in, I cut some 1/8 in. Plate to fit in the open areas on both sides, this will keep that area from flexing. Some people add washers to the areas where the lower control arm bushing would ride and also where the strut rod bushing bolts, make sure the washer is not thicker than the area that already protrudes at the lower control arm. I also added a skid plate underneath.

x2
also added some round bar to reinforce the arches and a tow hook.

there are some pics if you follow the link in my sig

also firm feels site will give you an idea as well.
http://www.firmfeel.com/reinfkfram_a.htm

You're gonna hafta post a link, because I just looked at that site and can't find any such thing.

They don't advertise the kit on their website, but they DO sell them. Just call and talk to Dick Ross. The kit with all of the pieces runs about $100 give or take a few bucks depending on what year k member you're dealing with.

Welding all the seams does wonders for adding strength to the K-members. I've done it on two that I have now, one for my Duster and one for my EL5 Dart. I did one with a TIG, one with my MIG. Needless to say the MIG welder is a TON faster. But, I'm not powdercoating anything so I wasn't worried about that.

The Firm Feel kit is nice, I bought a "used" one, but Firm Feel still has them. Nice if you haven't done it before because it gives you an idea of what to do. But if you have any fabrication skills it doesn't take long to make up the plates.

The steering box reinforcement is probably the most important add on other than all the seam welding, the mounts have been known to break loose from their factory welds because they flex so much. Boxing that mount really tightens up the steering. Reinforcing the LCA and strut rod mounts helps too I'm sure, but probably not as much of an improvement compared to the seam welding and steering box reinforcement.

They don't advertise the kit on their website, but they DO sell them. Just call and talk to Dick Ross. The kit with all of the pieces runs about $100 give or take a few bucks depending on what year k member you're dealing with.

OK, thanks. I am right now tryin' to get a 73/4 K cleaned up for the 67

I bought the Firm Feel K-frame because I didn't have a welder at the time and both lower control arm sleeves were busted out. It came back noticeably heavier, and a work of art.

Tow hook? Wish I'd thought of that!

Big thread dig but thought i would post in here rather than start new does anyone have pics of how they strengthened the K frame, obviously seam weld the spot welds etc but where did you add metal etc pics would help

You're gonna hafta post a link, because I just looked at that site and can't find any such thing.

I done found it bekuz I are smrt!

I re welded all of the factory welds, as well as the seams. Added a some metal around the control arm mounts and the the steering box mount. I put some holes in the steering box gussets as not to trap moisture. As you weld, lots of compressed air to keep it cool so it doesn't twist.

EDIT: Beware when you weld around the control arm mounting hole. Your welds, and the support metal needs to be below the shoulder of the mounting hole or the control arm will not be seated properly when tightened down.

IMG_1726.JPG

IMG_1727.JPG

IMG_1728.JPG

IMG_1733.JPG

Last edited:
Big thread dig but thought i would post in here rather than start new does anyone have pics of how they strengthened the K frame, obviously seam weld the spot welds etc but where did you add metal etc pics would help

Here's some more pictures. The steering box mount gets completely boxed in, and then you add reinforcement around the LCA pivot tubes. The full Firm Feel kit adds reinforcement to the strut rod mounts too, I skip that because I use adjustable strut rods that use large sandwich plates on that part so it's already reinforced.

Here are some pictures from my car

The LCA pivot reinforcements are on the LCA side.You can see in this picture that the flange on the LCA pivot fits inside the reinforcement.

img_2790_zpsj1t3mbyg-jpg.jpg

This is the side under the steering box. If you look closely you can actually see the corner of the steering box gusset, as well as a lot of seam welding that I did.
img_2787_zps3quv7ejw-jpg.jpg

Bottom side of the steering box showing the part the gets filled in
img_1661_zpsgwvzjpy0-jpg.jpg

Gusset template showing where it goes, obviously it gets curved to fit
img_1660_zpsrmepykzq-jpg.jpg

Frond side of the steering box mount. This one you have to be careful with, if it extends too far forward the steering box will hit it because the box is at an angle.

img_1662_zps275ympwd-jpg.jpg

Couple more pictures of a K frame with the reinforcing done on it, this is a 68-72 K from @Seandavid55

20220813_144557_copy_1024x768-jpg.jpg

20220813_144517_copy_1024x768-jpg.jpg

I re welded all of the factory welds, as well as the seams. Added a some metal around the control arm mounts and the the steering box mount. I put some holes in the steering box gussets as not to trap moisture. As you weld, lots of compressed air to keep it cool so it doesn't twist.

EDIT: Beware when you weld around the control arm mounting hole. Your welds, and the support metal needs to be below the shoulder of the mounting hole or the control arm will not be seated properly when tightened down.

View attachment 1716194856

View attachment 1716194857

View attachment 1716194858

View attachment 1716194859
Very nice work mate thanks for the pics

Here's some more pictures. The steering box mount gets completely boxed in, and then you add reinforcement around the LCA pivot tubes. The full Firm Feel kit adds reinforcement to the strut rod mounts too, I skip that because I use adjustable strut rods that use large sandwich plates on that part so it's already reinforced.

Here are some pictures from my car

The LCA pivot reinforcements are on the LCA side.You can see in this picture that the flange on the LCA pivot fits inside the reinforcement.

View attachment 1716194993
This is the side under the steering box. If you look closely you can actually see the corner of the steering box gusset, as well as a lot of seam welding that I did.
View attachment 1716194994

Bottom side of the steering box showing the part the gets filled in
View attachment 1716194995
Gusset template showing where it goes, obviously it gets curved to fit
View attachment 1716194996

Frond side of the steering box mount. This one you have to be careful with, if it extends too far forward the steering box will hit it because the box is at an angle.

View attachment 1716194997

Couple more pictures of a K frame with the reinforcing done on it, this is a 68-72 K from @Seandavid55

View attachment 1716194998

View attachment 1716194999
Legend appreciate the detail

Here is my welded and gussetted 68 k frame with spool mounts positioned for big block. I also have the Hotchkis sway bar tabs welded on. This picture is after powder coating. I do wonder how the powder coating will hold up versus a high quality paint?

IMG_20210610_153656067_HDR.jpg

I started my process with a trip to the car wash. I was dreaming when I thought “That’ll be good enough.” Nope!
So, I get home and pry the seems between the spot welds and used a torch to burn them out so the welds wouldn’t be compromised.
I wasn’t happy because I only had the little blue propane burner and not MAP gas. So, I took it to a my machinist who has a vat.
You need to do all you can to get the old oil and grease out of the seems.
I also trimmed some excess off the inside/rear of the half moon shape where the front of the oil pan goes. Just a little more clearance.

IMG_4034.jpeg

IMG_4036.jpeg

IMG_4035.jpeg

IMG_4033.jpeg

IMG_4032.jpeg

IMG_4030.jpeg

IMG_4029.jpeg

IMG_4028.jpeg

IMG_4027.jpeg

IMG_4026.jpeg

Here is my welded and gussetted 68 k frame with spool mounts positioned for big block. I also have the Hotchkis sway bar tabs welded on. This picture is after powder coating. I do wonder how the powder coating will hold up versus a high quality paint?

View attachment 1716195515
Powder coating should hold up a lot better however i notice it can dull over time. The only issue you can have is the welds having air in them and making little volcanoes in the powder coat when the air is released

@DC Dart I had my machinist spray a really strong chassis black that he uses. Maybe some body guy types know but I know it wasn’t POR-15 or Rustoleum. The paint is extremely durable. I’ll message him and get the product name.

@DC Dart I had my machinist spray a really strong chassis black that he uses. Maybe some body guy types know but I know it wasn’t POR-15 or Rustoleum. The paint is extremely durable. I’ll message him and get the product name.
Yep you can literally buy paint called chassis black, use it on trucks etc, last resto i did the entire under side of car with it. Cleans up easily as well and very durable

-
Back