Kelsey Hayes caliper bolts

-
Let's say for arguments sake, that this guy AlV looks into getting bolts manufactured, by whoever.
Would that guy be willing to up front say, $2,000.00 of his own money in getting the process going, in making specialized bolts.
How few of the things can you ever go about selling in the course of a year anyway?
I bet you 98% of the readers on this forum don't even know the difference between a shoulder bolt, and a regular machine bolt.
The only way i looked into this years past, as a machinist that does some small work for me from time to time, needed something done, that he didn't have the tooling for.
We got on the subject of these bolts, and he in turn inquired, on my behalf, to this other machine shop, as to the cost in tooling up to make them.
If you had to have a machinist individually manufacture a bolt from some other bolt, that cost would be absurdly out of sight, instead of having something made on an automatic screw machine, in quantity.

I'm a Mechanical Engineer. I used send parts out for quote all the time. There are at least 2 ways to go. The first is to start from scratch, like you were trying. The second is to start with a shoulder bolt or a larger diameter bolt and machine to the KH dimensions. There are lots of really sharp machinists out there.

Good points.
It definitely makes sense to identify and pursue all options.

Let's say for arguments sake, that this guy AlV looks into getting bolts manufactured, by whoever.
Would that guy be willing to up front say, $2,000.00 of his own money in getting the process going, in making specialized bolts.
How few of the things can you ever go about selling in the course of a year anyway?
I bet you 98% of the readers on this forum don't even know the difference between a shoulder bolt, and a regular machine bolt.
The only way i looked into this years past, as a machinist that does some small work from time to time, needed something done, that he didn't have the tooling for.
We got on the subject of these bolts, and he in turn inquired, on my behalf, to this other machine shop, as to the cost in tooling up to make them.
If you had to have a machinist individually manufacture a bolt from some other bolt, that cost would be absurdly out of sight, instead of having something made on an automatic screw machine, in quantity.

Time will tell. I'm not in it for the money.

I'm going to see what i can do as far producing these for as little as possible
I sent a pm to 66fs to see if he could send me a drawing and go from there.
If not i will source a bolt a go about it that route.
I will keep you all informed on my progress.
Jason

Good Morning FABO,

I wanted to take a minute to follow up on this discussion.

I've, been in contact with a few places, sent email with photos attached and specifications. Most would like to see the Blueprint drawings to further the discussion but have been open to preliminary conversation regarding samples and minimum runs .

I've stayed away from talking in detail about production and counts because I'd like to either provide the drawing or a Bolt sample and hear back regarding their ability to produce samples and costs for the sample.

Right now, I have a good dialoug going with a fastener outfit specializing in the MOPAR restoration industry with a large line of MOPAR fasteners. They don't have the K-H caliper bolt in their catalog though. My initial interaction with them went well and they've asked for a bolt sample to review but I don't have one. This bolt can be damaged, but a good one would be better.

Please PM me if you have a bolt to spare.

Thanks

AlV

Good News indeed. I almost have the drawing ready of an original bolt. I'm just double checking dimensions and the mating parts, knuckle and caliper. I should PM you and hemidart67 today with a PDF of the drawing.

Update
I found a bolt here locally and i am just getting a material quote and heat treating cost finalized
Just for everyone interest i should be able to get these in production at a cost of around $8.50 per bolt maybe cheaper
i will keep everybody informed
Jason

Update
I found a bolt here locally and i am just getting a material quote and heat treating cost finalized
Just for everyone interest i should be able to get these in production at a cost of around $8.50 per bolt maybe cheaper
i will keep everybody informed
Jason

that's great news!

There has been some delays in production on these bolts.I am trying to push these into production but we have had some rush jobs come up in the shop.Sorry for the delays.
As soon as i get them done i will have a For Sale post up.

Getting close guys .....I'm sending these out to get heat Treated tomorrow and then off to the plater and then they will be up for sale....stay tuned

Attachments

• DSC01030.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 249
that's great. Glad to see someone going out of there way for the sake of helping others.Hell ill buy some just to have!

Yup,I'm on board for at least 4 bolts,enough to do my brakes. Possibly more depending on price.Extra sets I would sell off to my bretheren here. One of my caliper bolts is someones invented fantasy that probably allows the caliper to chatter about.

Because you'r going the extra mile and helping others,I'll go that as well and pitch in to support this small venture. This is a key part many look for.

I'd also be up for a set of 4. Please keep us posted!

I'm just wondering, are those special type of bolts really important to install because I just sold a set from another kh setup late last year and I just did the mustang rotor swap and when I took off the calipers it had regular grade 8 bolts in and I've been driving the hell out of my dart for 5 years with this setup, even drove it twice from California to Wisconsin as well as race it on the track at Brainard raceway in MN twice at the power cruise event as well as drive it multiple times back and fourth from Phoenix az to central ca. It's pretty much a daily driver but anyhoo im just wondering.

Hey guys sorry for the delay AGAIN...i got them back from the heat treater and now just waiting for my plater to get back to me.Their Black Oxide line is down :banghead:
If anyone really needs these bolts asap i could ship some out to them with no plating.
I thought about just painting them but opted not too it would be more professional to get them plated and the plating would stand up longer over time.

8.50 is a great price, I would be more than willing to buy them when I need them. Question..could you not just turn down and tap a std grade 8 shank bolt (or even sleeve a 7/16)? Rolled threads would be stronger than cut threads but seems the shank is either a strength or a positioning aid. Either can be overcome with a stronger bolt ($$ in Mopars eyes) or maybe a positioning dowl (like a head). Im not an engineer (only a manufacturing process student) but just looking at the bolt...?

8.50 is a great price, I would be more than willing to buy them when I need them. Question..could you not just turn down and tap a std grade 8 shank bolt (or even sleeve a 7/16)? Rolled threads would be stronger than cut threads but seems the shank is either a strength or a positioning aid. Either can be overcome with a stronger bolt ($$ in Mopars eyes) or maybe a positioning dowl (like a head). Im not an engineer (only a manufacturing process student) but just looking at the bolt...?

The shoulder takes the shear, as opposed to the minor diameter of the threads. Makes the fastener stronger. The threads are only loaded in tension. They used the same trick on the pressure plate bolts.

-
Back