Ketchme Kopper Dart

-

fcm42000

Banned
Reaction score
I have been using this forum for a while now and I thought it was about time I started to contribute.
I have a 69 dodge dart that I have had for 6 years now. I bought it in studio city, ca, for 800 dollars when I was in the navy, it had been in underground parking for at least a decade. I got the slant six running only to find out it had a knock, so I pulled it and had a 360 built for it. I had the engine work done by the lowest bidder and I learned my lesson. I suspect to much was milled of the block and heads so the intake was forced on there. So I think the mismatch caused the oil to fill with gas, which there was alot of gas in the oil pan. Well the first time I had a back fire it blew the oil cap off so hard it dented the hood, the engine started on fire and I was so pissed I just walked away. One of my friends put the fire out, I walked away,I was ready to give up on it.
The car was on base and the police were giving me hell and a deadline to get it registered and the CA DMV wanted me to drive it there to verify the VIN plate, I had a week. I found a guy selling a complete 2 barrel 360 on craigslist for 200 hundred dollars, it was in my car and running in 2 days. I drove it to the Oxnard DMV, SCARY RIDE!!, old 13 inch tires and wouldnt get out of second gear, but i made it and got to keep the black plates. I had zip tied the kickdown on the 904 to get it to some what work. Dont judge me, I was in a rush and broke.
I got transfered to DC so I towed the car home to San Antonio to put in storage for a few years. I got out of the Navy and planned to work on it then my company sent me to Iraq for 13 months. I came home put a little work in it for 6 months then my company sent me to Egypt, I am still here.
I decided to take it somewhere to get it painted so I chose Paintshop101 in San Antonio. I am not even going to try and tell you how awesome this shop is, just go to their website, WWW.PAINTSHOP101.COM.
The car just got off the rotiserie. They minitubbed it, put in subframe connectors, spring relocation and welded in brackets for the srt4 seats. I will post pics of all this later. Lets just say the car looks brand new underneath. Now it is on to paint and Steve the owner/painter likes House of Kolors pearl paints, so I chose Ketchme Kopper, which is close to the factory T5 copper.

Here is some info about the car

Engine: 70's 360 with ported (by me) j heads, kb 107 pistons, XE268 cam, ported performer intake, new balancer and flywheel, dougs headers, electronic mopar ignition, PRW 1.6 roller rockers.

I have not decided if I will get the FAST EZ EFI or the Powerjection 3, but i will fuel inject it, leaning towards the EZ EFI.

Suspension: 1.04 torsion bars, tubular upper control arms, 73 disc brakes, 1 1/8 front sway bar, firm feel steering box, 11/16 tie rods, subframe connectors, S/S leaf springs moved in 3 inches, KYB shocks, new ball joints, rear scarbird disc brake conversion, new fittings on the brake lines, newer master cylinder.

Wheels: I have 17x7 magnum/charger steel wheels on it right now and I kind of like the way it looks, but I want a 11-12 inch wide tire in the back and getting them widened is more expensive than I think its worth. So I am probably going with the black torque thrust style wheels that seem to be common lately, probably do an 18 in the back.

Drivetrain: 833 OD, I know every one says they are weak but I have yet to hear of one breaking, just talk of it, I am going to rebuild it in my garage and take it somewhere to get the bushing installed on the main shaft. I just picked up a 3.91 sure grip at a car show when I was home on vacation. I put in a parts store clutch for now untill I get a little better idea of what I am doint with the transmission. And of course a pistol gripped hurst shifter.

The front bumber has a UCLA parking pass that expires in sept 1969, how cool is that, defintly not touching that bumber, I wish there was a way to keep that sticker preserved on there.

A couple delimas I have.

I dont want the car to be too loud, I work on planes and my ears need a break sometimes, dont want to resent the car when I get off work. How am i going to run exhaust to the back with the relocated springs. Is there a moderatly agressive side pipe option, will mufflers before the axle be very loud with like a dyno max style muffler?

Rear sway bar with relocated springs, how, where, who?

Thanks for the help,

Frank

sinfotosnada-1.gif

heres a few

Attachments

• dart.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 1,055
  • dart1.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 1,028
  • dart2.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1,080
  • dart3.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,043
  • dart4.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 1,063
Sounds like a solid plan. Ketchme Kopper is going to look great. I would love to do a HOK Kandy but I hear it's difficult to match in case of an "incident" and mine will be daily driven so I'm a bit hesitant. I'd like to go Kobalt Blue over Orion Silver. The HOK Kandy's are incredible, looking forward to seeing yours painted up.

I forgot to mention that after this car was media blasted there was no rust found. The right front fender had to be replaced though.

I used the summit discount code and got the FAST EZ EFI and pypes exhaust for 1770 shipped, SCORE!

To bad I am in Egypt til April, wont get to play with the efi til then.

I am going to attempt to make a custom dash but I am not sure what size gauges to buy. Do 5 inch gauges fit? What sizes came on the rmd dashes?
What about the smaller gauges 2 1/6 or 2 5/8? I have put some thought into this and I think I can make some pretty easy with the tools I have access to.

I am over seas right now so when I get home I want to start on this, my car is still at the paintshop.

Swisswill- are you a contractor too?

THE PAINT IS DONE!!

Holy crap it looks like you could stick your hand through it. I didnt go with the ketchme kopper, instead, the factory t5 bronze.

More to come...

Attachments

• PB030877.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 774
  • PB030879.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 740
  • PB030870.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 753
more..

Attachments

• PB030886.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 759
  • PB030871.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 720
  • PB030875.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 738
  • PB030881.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 743
it looks ten times better in the sun, i have never seen a paintjob like this.

Attachments

• PB030879.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 746
  • PB030891.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 942
  • PB030890.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 735
  • PB030889.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 734
Looks great what kind of paint ? PPG on my swinger. keep up the good work!!!!

Just put 3.23s in it yesterday and the fr500 wheels...I'll lower the front back down about an inch and a half tomorrow.

Runs strong, rides like crap.....the IAC on the EZEFI is all over the place, not sure what that is all about. 13.9 volts with the headlights, fan and fuel pump on

Attachments

• IMG_1214.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 601
  • IMG_1218.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 695
  • IMG_0406.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 488
You purchased that EZ Efi system 3 months too soon.. haha Their coming out with a completely NEW system that is WAYYYYYY better... The throttle body will have the ability to flow what the old system with dual throttle bodies flowed and be able to run different types of fuels from E85 to gas and more

-
Back