knee replacement

-

daredevil

Reaction score
Just had both knees done and its much worse than I expected. Anybody else have theirs done and want to share experiences good or bad?

I have not, but will send prayers for you to feel better and heal quick, take care and rest up Pete :)

Pete, I'm sending prayers & good thoughts your way for quick healing. Listen to what the Docs tell you about physical therapy.

Interesting that they've done both knees at once. Isn't it usually 1 at a time ?

Hope you return to good health, Daredevil. I've heard more bad than good about knee replacement. In the two knee surguies I've had, I've learned two things: religiously follow the therapist's recommendation and work to get rid of the swelling, or else it will take forever to get your muscle strength back. Best wishes to you.

My grandma got her knee replaced in Feb.

Died in March. Never even got to walk on it...

Complications from the surgery killed her...

My mother had both done, about six months apart. She didn't really have any issues since she followed her physical therapist's rules and did all of her strengthening exercises when she was supposed to do them. Five months after she had the second one done, she was outpacing us at a local street festival.

As others have said, follow your physical therapy guidelines. I think how people do with this surgery varies from person to person, though. I'll be praying that you have a fast and full recovery.

I've had both of mine replaced and they were done around 6 weeks apart. Surgery went well and now I have all my energy back. Or at least what a man my age has.

Just had both knees done and its much worse than I expected. Anybody else have theirs done and want to share experiences good or bad?

had mine done and it is so much better because i can do things again but now need to spine surgeries (nothing to to do with the knee)

do what the therapists say and as hard as it is do the work they as when they are not there. PT is the key to the success of healing and future mobility. So look at it like a full time job and in the whole scheme of things you are only with therapists part time. so it will hurt and be frustration but work hard to have the best possible outcome

I had my surgery on a Monday then came home on Thursday and stopped all pain meds on Saturday. i spent many nights for weeks awake in the chair in pain because i could not sleep but i hate meds.

it is frustrating when you cant even lift ur own leg two inches off the bed but be patient. you will find the upper leg muscles will take the longest because the quad is a very big much needed muscle and they have to cut right through it for the surgery and it will take the most work/time to get that muscle up and running again.get yourself some really really good knee pads because even after a couple years it still hurts me to kneel on the bed let alone a hard surface.

you will find that balance is an issue once you start to walk on it without the aid of a walker or crutches and not just because of strength but also because of the fact that it takes awhile for the brain to make a connection with the new knee. I laughed at first when the therapist told me that bit the brain knows where in space all the body parts are at all times and when that is disrupted it takes awhile to remake that connection

for me it was a good day when i got rid of my walker and even better when i got rid of my crutches. But it was a glorious day and i jumped for joy the day i got rid of my raised toilet seat lol

hang in there man it sucks but as long as you had a good doctor and you follow the rules you will be better in the end.

Originally Posted by 6pk2goDemon View Post

Interesting that they've done both knees at once. Isn't it usually 1 at a time ?

I believe that if both knees need replaced, it's fairly common to have em both done at the same time; recovery time is basically cut in half.

its not that recovery time is actually cut in half because it still takes the same amount of time rather the fact that your are healing both at the same time. so it reality the time is the same you only have to do it once (which is probably what you meant) instead months/weeks or sometimes years apart.

But in actual reality one of the main reasons they do both at the same time is because of what he already knows and stated here its much worse than I expected

Many people get one done and dont ever go back for the other because of the grueling process and all the pain. and again the fact that healing two takes the same time as one so why not if possible get it out of the way. also when you have just one done it takes you longer to trust the knew knee and really walk on it heal to toe because you always have a good leg to stand on. when you havethem both done you have to start trusting and using them right away because you dont have a good leg to stand/rely on

Had knee replaced 3 weeks ago. I am doing very well with it. KEEP feet elevated and ice to keep swelling down. Have to work hard to get the muscles strong. Its very hard having both done at once. Good luck my friend you will do fine!

Both my knees were shot though the left was the only one painful.It was up to me if I wanted to do both or not.At 5k out of pocket I opted for both at once. 5k more for mopar parts.lol I dont know how you could stop pain meds 70 dart. If I dont take them every 4 hours I cant move to do the p/t. I think being a big guy makes it hard too. At least i,m past the point where I had to ask the wife to lift my leg when i,d get on the bed.

My grandma got her knee replaced in Feb.

Died in March. Never even got to walk on it...

Complications from the surgery killed her...

Sorry to hear Karl. Its ashamed she went thru that and enjoyed no rewards from it.

Stay positive and do all you can to get a cute female therapist Pete :cheers:

Hay !! It helps :glasses7:

Both my knees were shot though the left was the only one painful.It was up to me if I wanted to do both or not.At 5k out of pocket I opted for both at once. 5k more for mopar parts.lol I dont know how you could stop pain meds 70 dart. If I dont take them every 4 hours I cant move to do the p/t. I think being a big guy makes it hard too. At least i,m past the point where I had to ask the wife to lift my leg when i,d get on the bed.

Trust me it was not fun at all but the girls said on top of being loopy I was mean rotten and miserable while taking the meds I guess maybe some of that have to do with the fact that My bones had just been cut out.

Had lots of help in and out of bed in and out of chairs and even on and off the toilet at times. I think I was awake in my chair in the in my chair in the living room the better part of the next 6 weeks.

I am lucky and get to have to spine surgeries in August Ughh.

I don't want to sound like I'm minimizing your experiences guys, but the wife had hers both done at different times and she was pregnant both times.
Imagine that.

Hers were destroyed from carrying mail.

we have a couple we go south with each year....he's 77 years old and has had a bad knee for a few years now.
last winter (2014) when we went to Cuba he had a knee brace and his mobility was very limited and sitting during the 4 hour flight was hard on him.
In January of 2015 he had a half knee replacement (didn't know they did this) and by March they called us and wanted to book a trip....he said it was the best he's ever felt and during the trip it was amazing the difference, walks on the beach, stair steps, etc.

he's a very active man at home, goes in the woods, runs a sawmill, handles logs, etc and it was an amazing moral boost as well, like a new lease on life, actually visited them last night, drank some dark rum and enjoyed some cards

hang in there, it gets much better

Hope your recovery goes smooth and quick DD.

I don't want to sound like I'm minimizing your experiences guys, but the wife had hers both done at different times and she was pregnant both times.
Imagine that.

Hers were destroyed from carrying mail.

With the loss of mobility from the knee and spine issues and the mental part of serious illnesses or injuries are almost as bad as the injury or illness itself. I gained an extra adult person( maybe two depending on size LOL ) in weight due to loss of mobility stress depression and everything else that goes along with it including bad eating choices so I feel her pain

As soon as i,m off the walker i,m going back to work. Hopefully on the 7th

For me having to climb in and out of a truck lift things right for hours at a time and do lots of bending turning twisting and reaching it was not in my cards to go back until I was close to 100%. Although I did go back earlier than anticipated but on a restricted schedule of no more than five hours a day no more than 75 miles from home

I'm on a similar restricted work schedule right now due to my spinal issues I have lost 65 pounds since the knee replacement and need to lose another 40 before the doctor will do my spine surgeries.

Co-worker had a replacement.....and didn't listen to the therapist.....the replacement replacements hurt way worse than the replacement.

I had my left knee totally replaced a few years ago due to arthritis. Best thing I ever did! I was at a point where I was constantly looking for the shortest distance to get anywhere, and stairs were not my friends. The total knee replacement was done in January and I started bowling again in April (the load bearing knee was replaced).
As others have said, following your PT instructions to the letter.
What works great for icing afterwords is a gallon baggie full of unpopped popcorn that's kept in the freezer. Use it after PT and then put it back in the freezer.
Oh, my surgeon told me several things not to do after everything heals up:
* No running
* No jumping
* No kneeling
My NBA career was over! LOL

-
Back