Lakeeffect's 69 Valiant

-
thanks guys, havent been to the track without it, it ran a 10.60 in the cuda, im guesstimating the time in the valiant, should be at trck in a week or so, and I'll let ya know what she does! Thanks for all the kind words guys.

New parts and some motor build stuff.

Cracked W2's Anyone have any experience welding Heads? We have a mig,stick and I'm going to be buying a Tig soon. I heard of people welding them with stick welders but never have.

Rods- still trying to decide how we are going to put together the bottom end.

Viper stuff is cool!

w2cracksmall.jpg

Bilstien.JPG

cranks4.JPG

RODS4.JPG

VIPER2.jpg

As far as welding heads, no experience. However, cracked blocks on the 5.9 Cummins #53 blocks have been an issue. Some folks have used a "lock-n-stitch" system and have good results. See link: http://www.locknstitch.com/ there's some more good info on this site as well. I've had cast welded before, broken bolt hole tab on a std trans to bell. Ground both areas where the piece cracked, welder's clamp in place, heat area to receive weld until cherry red and stick weld. The head crack is questionable as to why did it crack? If you wish to chance it, drill a hole at each end of the crack to stabilize (stop the crack from spreading), v-groove the crack as much and deep as possible, heat until red and stick, mig or tig until full. I'd try to get another head though. . .

looks like a fun build and wow, what a nice car for a starting point.
i have the AR engineering/early viper setup on my car, you're gonna love the brakes. i'll probably upgrade to the 13 inchers when theres more funds available.

Joe- thanks for the advice and the link. I'm gonna get the heads CC'd and then go from there If i cant use them ill prob buy a new set of W2's and use all the hardware.
That locknstitch may be worth trying.

pauly- Nice valiant. I have seen your posts before your valiant is pretty slick. Seems like alot of us valiant guys go with similar build ups. Who did you get your brake lines through?
I know Andy has a place he recommended but just curious if you found better.
Ya The 13's were tempting but i really wanted to use 15's
You got a build Thread?

the rods to use are high in nickel. ask a machine shop to recommend a welding shop or individual who is experienced with cast welding. you will be glad you did.

Joe- thanks for the advice and the link. I'm gonna get the heads CC'd and then go from there If i cant use them ill prob buy a new set of W2's and use all the hardware.
That locknstitch may be worth trying.

pauly- Nice valiant. I have seen your posts before your valiant is pretty slick. Seems like alot of us valiant guys go with similar build ups. Who did you get your brake lines through?
I know Andy has a place he recommended but just curious if you found better.
Ya The 13's were tempting but i really wanted to use 15's
You got a build Thread?

i used andy's resourses, i think goodridge had the hoses but i cant seem to find the invoice.
i hope you got the caliper mount bolts with the calipers cause they gawd awful expensive from a dealer.
sorry, no build thread... shoulda.., but i have quite a few pics for reference.

heres my freinds 69 that we just put the motor in last night. its a mild build with a 360 headed 318/904, stock suspension with 74 kframe with discs and bbp. yep, he's a happy camper!

0221091649a.jpg

0421101436c.jpg

0421101649a.jpg

0421101702d.jpg

0421101833a.jpg

0421101743c.jpg

Well I'm home from Iraq and have been very busy. Ill be posting some picture of the progress in the next few days

Welcome home, Congratulations! Thanks for putting yours in harms way to help protect ours.

So are you done, or just home for a while? Either way let's see some snaps once you get back at it.

So here's the pictures i promised. Just doing a lot of sandblasting,welding and lightening. Dr Diff rear disk Conversion went together great. Only disappointment was the calipers were Iron and not aluminum. My fault for not asking.

DSCF0789.jpg

DSCF0784.jpg

DSCF0779.jpg

DSCF0788.jpg

DSCF0780.jpg

Well cars on the ground. Suspension DONE. Here's a pic of UCA's my father and I built. Still have tons to do but its definitely time to drive it while its still nice out. Motor/transmission/paint can wait till winter.Test drive tomorrow!

Photo07311524.jpg

Finally test drove the car! Love it! Very Tight Feeling and went down the road straight. Need tires and wheels now The tires that were on in are pretty dry rotted soo i didnt carve any corners. Here are the tires i plan on buying. 225/50/15 all the way around. http://www.falkentire.com/Tires/Ziex-ZE-512-13

Here's a pic of a 68 Valiant from Australia...weren't quite the same to look at. They were only available in 4dr sedan or 4dr wagon. They were designated "VE", and were available with a 225 /6 or a 273 V8.
The body work is all original, except for the hole in the bonnet of course.
They had tendem brakes with disc's on the front. ( optional on /6, std on V8)

IMGP4982.jpg

IMGP4983.jpg

IMGP4984.jpg

Good looking Valiant buddy. I got my 68 on jacks getting ready for the disk breaks and v8. I have a 4 speed but was thinking about doing the 5 speed down the road. Keep us posted on that trans install.

Been driving the car a couple weeks now. TKO is installed but the 318 is sounding a bit rough. Here's a few pictures i took today.

Attachments

• LES2.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 826
  • valiantLES1.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 531
  • les3.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 540
  • les4.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 740
Nice ride. Did you ever install the steering quickener? If so, can you share some details on that? Thanks

Killer car! I love the wheels you have on it in your latest pics. The paint is a great color choice as well. Thanks for sharing your ride.

Thanks guys. No quickener yet. I got a flaming river box and think a 13-1 would just be to much effort for the street. Maybe if I go P/S in the future.

No plans to make more UCA's. Took a lot to make them idk if it was worth it. Other than having something different and knowing I made it.

Paint is pretty shoddy. That was the previous owner , I want to repaint in the future.

Oh and a update. I drove it on a 500 mile trip and it dropped a valve 30 miles from home. So close but do far!

-
Back