Laysons Early-A Modified Filler neck?

-

65Valiant310

Reaction score
Anyone have feedback on one? Fuel spillage out onto the side a problem anymore?

Instead of that, buy a better aluminium gas cap from the member on here named damraider. they seal much better then the factory cap and you can finish them however you like! (pollish or paint or leave machine marks)

I'm missing something here. Explai. What I'm looking at and the mod.

I need one for my Duster. (Filled neck)

My locking cap works really well, yet its the filling up part that is the tough part to not spill.

Taken from the site:
FIX THAT QUARTER PANEL FUEL SPILLAGE!!! Here we have converted filler tubes for 1963-66 A-Body Mopars (Darts, Barracudas, Valiants) that will eliminate that fuel spillage on the newly painted quarter panel. Our conversions include original filler tubes that have been converted internally, so that you keep that stock look, new filler tube tool and a new filler tube to body gasket. Road tested for over 6+ years and counting on various A-Body models, and up to 70mph on highway onramp cloverleafs.

Instead of that, buy a better aluminium gas cap from the member on here named damraider. they seal much better then the factory cap and you can finish them however you like! (pollish or paint or leave machine marks)

SlantSixDan also sells them I think.

I have the Layson's piece on one of my 63 Darts.

It's modified so that you can insert a rubber stopper without losing the stopper in the tank.

The stopper seals the end of the pipe so that no gas ever spills out.

It works quite well.

I've never tried the modified gas caps that purport to accomplish the same thing.

--Walt Jackson

I have the Layson's piece ................

It's modified ..................

Why is this thread written like a secret Govt document?

Why can't someone post a webpage, a photo, a drawing of what this "is?"

All I get "at Laysons" is a homepage deal that you can't do much with.

I have no leaks when I'm driving but when I'm filling up at the gas station it pours out when it gets full and doesn't stop the pump. I've tried to fill it slow an listen to it but it always back flushes out and down the rear quarter.:banghead: This is such a pain in the a$$!!!!

So, the Layson's mod just keeps a rubber stopper from falling into the tank. Well, that's a help, but it does nothing for that back flushing when the tank is full. For that matter, neither does a better sealing cap. Damraider's cap sure looks great, and the ability to clock it for proper handle alignment is way cool.

But, I've still seen nothing to handle that backflush. I can minimize it by holding the pump nozzle about 90 degrees rotated to the front of the car and listening. I also keep a clean dry shop towel in my left hand!

I'm not a fabricator, nor do I have filler necks lying around but here's an idea that should work. Run a piece of 3/8ths" steel gas line from just below the top of the filler tube down past the end of the filler neck just far enough to enter the tank by maybe 1/4th". Keep this tube oriented at the highest part of the neck. This would allow the air that causes the backflush to vent at the top of the filler neck.

Of course, I might be wrong! Anyone wanna try it?

BC

I don't think 3/8 would make a difference. The whole deal on filling a tank is that you have a lot of VOLUME of fuel trying to go DOWN. So you need a lot of volume of air coming back UP. This is "high volume, low pressure."

You'd probably need a separate tube at least 5/8 to make a difference, but if the entrance point for the 5/8 got submerged, it would be useless at that time.

I think part of the problem is that modern nozzles "tend" to have higher pump pressure and of course in parts of the country, there is the booted vapor recovery "thing."

I only use a couple of stations in town, and my 67 has no such problem. I try to anticipate the last of the fill, and drop the nozzle down to the "middle" trigger catch, and let it shut off, don't top it off.

I often wondered if a re shaped tube would make a difference, if it would enter the trunk a few inches and bend straight down then angle towards the tank. The shallow angle of the tube seems to create the problem. tmm

I have no leaks when I'm driving but when I'm filling up at the gas station it pours out when it gets full and doesn't stop the pump. I've tried to fill it slow an listen to it but it always back flushes out and down the rear quarter.:banghead: This is such a pain in the a$$!!!!

laysons looks like an expensive fix for a couple of hours work, I found a few articles on fixing your early A's. But this one looked the best for me. sort of like an unleaded flap to restrict air flow when filling up and letting the gas station hose work like it's supposed to.
You could do the Gas sentry fix along with the new gas cap from damraider or SSdan to stop all and any problems in the fuel filling and sloshing area. I did the fix on a friends valiant and it worked great except for his cap leaking a little when He makes a sharp turn. He's going to get SSdans cap for that fix.
heres a link to the picture bucket showing how it's fixed

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/donpal/6391376619/in/photostream/"]InstallingFuelTubeSpillageEliminatorIn65Dart | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]

and here's the link to the part
http://www.pciinc.com/index.php/gas/fill/pipe/restrictors/

use the smallest one to fit your early A's

I don't think 3/8 would make a difference. The whole deal on filling a tank is that you have a lot of VOLUME of fuel trying to go DOWN. So you need a lot of volume of air coming back UP. This is "high volume, low pressure."

You'd probably need a separate tube at least 5/8 to make a difference, but if the entrance point for the 5/8 got submerged, it would be useless at that time.

I think part of the problem is that modern nozzles "tend" to have higher pump pressure and of course in parts of the country, there is the booted vapor recovery "thing."

I only use a couple of stations in town, and my 67 has no such problem. I try to anticipate the last of the fill, and drop the nozzle down to the "middle" trigger catch, and let it shut off, don't top it off.

What I don't know (well, OK, among the many things I don't know) is what actually trips the nozzle to shut off? Air pressure and/or velocity? If so, the restricter stuck in the filler neck could cause higher air pressure and/or velocity. There's less area for the air to flow out at the same time the remaining air space in the tank decreases while the gas flows in at the same rate.

I'm probably overthinking this. In the Navy we had a quaint phrase for stuff we didn't understand. We said it worked by the "F.M. principle." Hint: the second word is "Magic."

BC

. In the Navy we had a quaint phrase for stuff we didn't understand. We said it worked by the "F.M. principle." Hint: the second word is "Magic."

BC

LOL. Covers just about all magnetron and waveguide theory's far's I'm concerned, and used to maintain that stuff.

laysons looks like an expensive fix for a couple of hours work, I found a few articles on fixing your early A's. But this one looked the best for me. sort of like an unleaded flap to restrict air flow when filling up and letting the gas station hose work like it's supposed to.
You could do the Gas sentry fix along with the new gas cap from damraider or SSdan to stop all and any problems in the fuel filling and sloshing area. I did the fix on a friends valiant and it worked great except for his cap leaking a little when He makes a sharp turn. He's going to get SSdans cap for that fix.
heres a link to the picture bucket showing how it's fixed

InstallingFuelTubeSpillageEliminatorIn65Dart | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

and here's the link to the part
http://www.pciinc.com/index.php/gas/fill/pipe/restrictors/

use the smallest one to fit your early A's

I bought one of those Sentry flapper doors a while ago and it did nothing to stop the back flushing when filling up. I drive 40 miles each way to/from work and would really like to fix this problem so I wouldn't have to get gas all the time.

-
Back