Lazy man's way of filling Diff on a 75 Valiant

-

BWA

Reaction score
After spending a couple of hours scrounging around my shed trying to find some way of filling up the back axle on my 75 Valiant, this suddenly occurred to me.:D

Worked very well too.:burnout:

Attachments

• 75-Valiant-Diff-Fill-01.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 348
Actually, no mess at all.....

And, you can do it standing up....:coffee2:

I usually use the nipple cap that comes with the rear end fluid, 6in. of rubber hose, and squeeze. Works for me.

Or the suction gun to pull the old stuff out and fill it up. Harbor fright has a cheap one that works for around $10.

"in a previous life" I spent nearly 15 years in HVAC / R service, and acquired a number of empty refrigerant jugs. I used to use them for several things

Small one..........pressure brake bleeder

30 "pounder" pressurized 90 wt bottle. Brazed a pipe nipple into the top for filler, brazed in an air fitting, and brazed a tube down to the bottom for a pickup tube.

I used to use them for air bottles until people started worrying about them rusting out......a legitimate concern!!

Cut the tops off and they make a "dip tank" for carbs and other small parts

Unfortunately, I "don't get to get" them anymore LOL

Had the diff cover off to inspect the gears, and, once I put it back on, I couldn't for the life of me find the Harbour Freight checkout aisle any where in my shed.........

So, had to resort to other means.....

:happy1:

This is my rig for putting fluids in. I can pump it by hand or if I am real lazy, I hook an air hose to it (just have to change fittings on the end of the hose).

I normally just pump it up by hand. Put in the required volume of fluid and let er rip.

Attachments

• IMG_1910.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 247
"in a previous life" I spent nearly 15 years in HVAC / R service, and acquired a number of empty refrigerant jugs. I used to use them for several things

Small one..........pressure brake bleeder

30 "pounder" pressurized 90 wt bottle. Brazed a pipe nipple into the top for filler, brazed in an air fitting, and brazed a tube down to the bottom for a pickup tube.

I used to use them for air bottles until people started worrying about them rusting out......a legitimate concern!!

Cut the tops off and they make a "dip tank" for carbs and other small parts

Unfortunately, I "don't get to get" them anymore LOL

This post is enlightening. I have a empty helium bottle. This were purchased for party balloons, came from Walmart.com . I've seen uses like propane fired deep fryer. Never considered a larger carb sink.
Now about filling the differential, If you pull the plug where the fuel line goes out the trunk floor, a small rubber tube will go through.

You have a 7 1/4 right? My slant has a star shaped filler plug (74 car) and I have never seen one so big. Was your plug like that? What tool do you use to get it out? I use a piece of clear tube and skinny funel to fill my Trans. Works great

You have a 7 1/4 right? My slant has a star shaped filler plug (74 car) and I have never seen one so big. Was your plug like that? What tool do you use to get it out? I use a piece of clear tube and skinny funel to fill my Trans. Works great

That would be a trox bit. Harbour freight has cheap sets as do most places you'll just need to work out which size probably a T50 OR bigger would be my guess. Unless it's the bolt type then just use a 12 pointed socket.

I put one side of the axle, brakes etc. together, bolt the wheel on,, drop that side on the ground,, and use a large funnel to pour the lube down the open axle tube, before I put the other axle in, then finish assembly..

Doesn't work on a "C" clip diff, tho.. lol

hope it helps

I believe a 1/2 breaker bar will fit in the plug to remove it.

Yes, any half inch Square drive ratchet, breaker bar etc will pop the plug out no problem.:glasses7:

-
Back