LEAKING HEAD With CPPA HEADERS !! I WANNA CUT THEM OUTTTT

-

1994rm250

Reaction score
Well , guys here in ny we have been having some decent weather lately around 60 outside , So i pulled the duster out from under the cover and getting her ready for hopefully a drive and carisle this year to relize , THE FREEZE OUT PLUG ON THE HEAD IS LEAKINGG next to number 1 cyclinder :munky2::angry7: , i Have A old set of CPPA HEADERS on the 440 and IT IS tighter then anything , so here is what i come up with PLEASE HELP WITH ANY INPUT GUYS ?

1. pull the motor , get rid of them CPPA headers, GET TTIs , an since the motors out its gonna get a soilid lift cam and 440 source heads im gona port an polish them heheheeee
OR
2. Cut the headers Out , and fix the freeze out plug , and see if i can get TTI's to fit in place
OR
3. Cut the header tube , and the flange of the header and pull a section of it out and then have that piece of header tube flanged Open bigger and slide it back over the tube and then exhasut wrap it back

TRYING TO SHOWHORN THIS 440 back in is a MUTH FUKINNNN BIHDJKJCH:wack::tongue9:

Lower the motor and trans with k-member. remove necc header and repair freeze plug. Re-install header with new gasket. Lower body over engine and trans. No hassle and easy to work on. The k-member acts as a engine stand. Should be on road in no time at all. Just my 2 cents.

Ian

I,d replace all frost plugs.If you only replace one,it,s a quick fix,but the next weakest one will start to leak.Been there done that.

I'd pull the motor and replace all the plugs. I don't think TTI will be that different,I heard they bought the design from CPPA? I have CPPA's on my low deck.....I know what a ***** that left side is!!

If this is a race car I'd second the "pull and replace all" deals.

Me too! Second the seconded that is!Lol..Seriously ,if you have to get the headers out,it's time to replace all the freeze plugs. And whatever else you can think of while doing this. I'd replace the starter as well..

thanks guys yeh the car was just built , the starte is brand new mancini mini. mabe i SHOULD TRY AND LOWER THE K FRAME ANY IDEAS ON HOW TO DO THIS WITH NO LIFT ??????????????? how high does the car need to go ??? thank you angelo

If you have a hoisst it could be used to lift the car body off the k frame motor etc

It woud be easier IMO to pull the egine and get them all, rather than drop a loaded K frame. But I like to work alone and have no lift and not a lot of room to move "big chunks" inside. I also find that many times by trying to save work, I make a bunch more...lol.
I say change them because if one is rusty, others may be and can hurt you if one decides it's lived long enough and pops out...

buy brass, and there are 2 in the rear of the block, hidden by trans, or bell housing. 1 in the rear of each head. Do them all, sorry, one goes, all are next.

You really need to pull the engine. Out the top or out the bottom, they both have their advantages, BUT pull the steering column FIRST. This makes for a whole lot more room to move the headers around for pulling the engine.

Heck I've lifted the front end of my 74 Duster off the ground with a cherry picker style engine hoist high enough to swap in a 360 with kframe. You really need a nice surface for this ,level and smooth like shop concrete but I also have done it on top of plywood thrown down over dirt,grass etc. I used to have a really heavy duty and low dolly with all the susp stuff tied up and just wheel the whole mess under. Was only about 2" off the ground,so the car didnt need to go real high. It was also small enough to fit between the legs of the engine hoist.Got stole a long time ago...time to build another!

Ive had my engine in and out twice in 13yrs and both times just pulled off the t-bars and pulled the whole shitery out the top (engine,trans and CPPA headers). Mine is a low deck. My buddy has the same **** except 440 and I think we unbolted the pass side header and did it the same way.

yeh guys easyer said then done its such a tight fit !!!!!!!!! took me 2 days try and shoehorn this fuker in there along with them headers !!! its so tight that the pass side header almost is hitting my inner skirt,

Definitely change all the expansion plugs if you are pulling the engine.
I have a 440 with the CPPA headers. Have done it enough times that in one hour I can have the engine out, from the top a little longer going back in. You need to have the correct attitude and not get pissed off while working on this stuff.

onig

Onig is right. There's a price to pay for a car of this nature, but before you think these are the hardest to work on, go look up changing spark plugs on a mid-70 Chevy Monza with a V8 or a Sunbeam Tiger.

And, like I said earlier, pull the steering column out of the car. This 15-minute job will make the rest of working on the engine much easier.

-
Back