Leaking valve seal

-

69' Net

Reaction score
I hadn't drive my car for a couple of weeks and started it the other day and had a flood of white smoke on start up, i drove it around the block and could hear some faint popping from the exhaust. I recently swapped intakes and wondered if the intake wasn't sealed properly. I pulled it off and everything looked fine. I shined a flashlight in each intake runner on the head and found one with about a table spoon of oil on the valve. I guess that's my culprit. The popping makes me wonder if the valve is sticking? Should I just the pull the head at this point and look everything over or just replace a seal? It's a 383

White “smoke” that dissipates within a few feet is coolant or condensation.
Blue smoke that drifts over to the neighbors house is oil.
I would suggest you take another real close look at the intake, especially down in the bottoms of the ports on the intake and heads both.
Oil can get pulled up out of the valley and puddle in the ports if you don’t have a good seal.

This smoke is drifting to the neighbors house not dissipating

Pull the spark plugs, if there is that much oil being burned, it'll show on the plugs unless they are newish.
It's unusual for any quantity like you mention to leak past a guide while the motor is at rest as the oil would have to climb up the guide to run down inside the guide, that'd have to be a very loose guide, and the head oil drains would have to be plugged to accumulate oil, which I have seen.
If you find a oily plug, there will likely be "ash" build up one one side, that side will face the bad guide, and yes, exhaust valves can suck oil with venturi vacuum .
We're it mine, - I'd replace the guide seals, tighten the intake manifold bolts, and cross my fingers .
Good luck.

P.S. don't be discouraged if it smokes for a while after seal replacement, the whole inside of the exhaust system will be coated in tar, and need to burn off.
Cheers

Screenshot_20231004-074842.jpg

Last edited:
I don’t know, as having a stem seal go bad right after an intake swap is kind of suspect.

I don’t know, as having a stem seal go bad right after an intake swap is kind of suspect.

I re-reread the post and agree, the intake should be suspect, he said looked fine, but yes, - int gskt seal should be scrutinized.
Re-seal intake and cross fingers .
The steam disappearing vs smoke is correct .
Any ash on plug would be on intake side regardless .
Thank-you .

Pull the spark plugs, if there is that much oil being burned, it'll show on the plugs unless they are newish.
It's unusual for any quantity like you mention to leak past a guide while the motor is at rest as the oil would have to climb up the guide to run down inside the guide, that'd have to be a very loose guide, and the head oil drains would have to be plugged to accumulate oil, which I have seen.
If you find a oily plug, there will likely be "ash" build up one one side, that side will face the bad guide, and yes, exhaust valves can suck oil with venturi vacuum .
We're it mine, - I'd replace the guide seals, and cross my fingers .
Good luck.

P.S. don't be discouraged if it smokes for a while after seal replacement, the whole inside of the exhaust system will be coated in tar, and need to burn off.
Cheers

View attachment 1716149886

I agree, which is why I pulled it off to look at it. The reason I didn't think it to be the issue was there was absolutely no oil residue inside the intake runner on the head. Just oil resting on the valve

I agree, which is why I pulled it off to look at it. The reason I didn't think it to be the issue was there was absolutely no oil residue inside the intake runner on the head. Just oil resting on the valve
That may be only because you have very little reversion, or the fuel is washing down the runner.
Not saying it couldn’t possibly be a stem seal, just highly unlikely IMO.
That much oil running down the stem after shutdown just doesn’t make sense.

Was there oil under the carb in the intake? If yes that would be blowby.
How is the PVC connected?
Photos would be great!

Was there oil under the carb in the intake? If yes that would be blowby.
How is the PVC connected?
Photos would be great!
Pcv is connected to carb. No oil in the manifold under the carb. I'll try and get a pic tonight

That may be only because you have very little reversion, or the fuel is washing down the runner.
Not saying it couldn’t possibly be a stem seal, just highly unlikely IMO.
That much oil running down the stem after shutdown just doesn’t make sense.
Yeah its possible. I just figured I would see something in there. It's bone dry

Update, I was to pull a valve spring off today to look things over. These are 452 heads and have the viton valve seals. All I have are the bag of long and short seals. Can I use one of these or should i wait and use the same seal?

They would be if hadn't accidentally damaged the seal removing it. And the rubber seals won't fit due to double valve springs. I'm gonna have to replace it with these. This is what was on it

Screenshot_20231007_151809_Amazon Shopping.jpg

There's a little plastic protector to slide over the ridges of the valve when installing the new seals, - look for it/them .

-
Back