leaking windshield

-

stony

Reaction score
I am a new member i have a 1970 Duster that has a windshield leak. I see someone posted that it should be sealed with butl along with the seal. Is this correct? My seal did not have any butl either. All i have to do is pour a little water in the corner of the wind shield and it starts to leak in that corner so it must be coming in under the seal.

That's what the liquid butyl is meant to stop. Leaks that get by the rubber seal.
It is called a after seal.
Until the modern urethane structural sealers arrived during the 80s all cars used butyl to seal
windshields. Some used rubber gaskets with a butyl after seal.
Some cars used a butyl tape or cord and a liquid butyl after seal.

May wanna check and make sure there isn't any cancer under the seal. Does it leak to the dash or straight to the floor?

I hope you did not get seal from legendary.I forget what brand seals they sell but they are not for 70 dusters but they say they will fit 70-72 duster.Got one from steel rubber and never used anything to seal it.No problems

I have a thread on this, I am by no means a pro. I have changed 4 to 5 pieces of glass and or seals over the past 30 years or so. I ordered the black butyl tube for my caulk gun and used it with no leaks from the glass after it was done. I would get a good seal and pull the glass and like 65Plum said, make sure the entire area where the seal fits is free of rust and holes. I had two holes just smaller than the size of a pencil that I used the resin/hardener from my fiberglass repair kit to fill.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1970981316#post1970981316

Are you sure that the leak is coming from the windshield and it's seal?

Many times the windshield wiper pivot seals go bad. They shrink and shrivel up and water comes in there and leaks behind the dash...

http://www.manciniracing.com/marawisekit1.html

That could also be confused with a windshield leak...

If there isn't any sealant there the leak is there. Beats me how some folks do things. Very flat surfaces ( engine parts for example ) have a gasket between and some sort of sealant is applied there 99% of the time. Yet where a less than perfect body / glass bed and a glass with its slight variations are put together with a rubber "gasket" ( more correctly defined as filler and isolator ) sealant was deemed unnecessary ?
You can be sure that when the mfgrs laid the glass in sealant on top of the body/ glass bed, thus deleting the rubber filler, tolerances in those mating surfaces were drastically tightened and controlled.

I removed my windshield and had the Glass Man use his Urethane to permanently seal the rubber/glass to the body. I figured....how often will I remove the windshield??? Probably never, unless I get a bad crack in the glass. Even if I did have to remove it (very unlikely) all you have to do is scrape off the old Urethane to reinstall just like they do with newer cars. Also you stop a lot of corrosion that can occur with leaks (also carpet stains).

treblig

Thanks for all the advice and i was wondering what downsr meant about steel rubber. Is that the name of the company or a parts store. Any help would be appreciated. thanks again

steele rubber is the name of the company that sells weather stripping window seals for cars.In my opinion i would not buy from anyone else

Thanks downsr for the advice. I thionk im gonna order a weather striping from steele rubber and go with a urethane or butl sealer is what im hearing from everyone. I will let you know the results thanks for your time stony

The windshield leak has stopped with all your advice. Thanks I have a new problem i am collecting oil on top of the intake manifold by the bolt holes that hold it down. Ive had some problems with head bolts on some Chevys that had to be siliconed to stop antifreeze from leeking in because some of the bolt holes went into the water jackets. Im going to pull one of the bolts out to check and see if the hole goes all the way threw the block so oil can get up the bolt. Does any body have any info about the intake bolts on a 1970 340. Do all the bolts need to be wrapped in siliconed? Thanks Stony

It is a good idea to use sealant on them to prevent oil from wicking up the threads and onto the manifold.

To stop my windshield leak i was lucky and had no rust at all along the channel so i purchased a Mopar gasket and used butl behind it and let it dry for 24 hours and all the leaks have stopped. thanks again for all the help Stony

By using urethane between the body and gasket it makes it SOB to clean off when removing
the windshield to reinstall. I'm in the process of cleaning around the windshield opening
of my Bee and some nut job installed it with urethane and it takes paint and all trying to get it off. It will for sure get butyl this time around it does the job just fine.

To all my A body friends. I got my Duster done and it sold right away. The dusters are finally getting the respect they deserve and they are selling good. I am going to be looking for a B body maybe a 1969 or 68 Coronet or Super Bee. If anyone knows anyone selling one please post. thanks

-
Back