Let's Build a 416 with Cast Iron Heads and Manifolds

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
If he is using factory 71 exhaust manifolds, I will be surprised if it makes 530hp if he runs a pump gas compression and not a roller cam.
Yea I forgot about the manifolds. Dammit.

I built a 511 low deck FAST combo for a customer.
12:1, ported 906’s, solid roller.
Went a best of 11.58@3650lbs on bias ply red stripes.

This was a very basic build, with no real “trickery”.

It didn’t quite make 530hp on the dyno with ex manifolds.

Conversely, I dyno tested one that had lots of fancy parts in it, more CR, noticeably better heads, a much better intake manifold, and way more valve lift........and it made quite a bit more power than the one I put together.

The owner of that car stopped running in FAST before really getting the car sorted out well enough to make good use of the extra power.

Last edited:
The LS manifolds and the factory Chrysler small block manifolds are not even in the same league. Not a good comparison.

Stock looking SBM’s making 500+hp thru exhaust manifolds is super commonplace.
That’s why there are so many videos of them cluttering up the ‘net.

Oh wait......

500hp? wasn't the goal 12's and looking stock?

Never said or was making a point that LS and 340 manifolds are same or 500 hp with manifolds is a piece of cake, talk about nit picking. I just googled manifold vs header to give the OP some idea what he might expect and was surprised there was only a 10 hp difference.

But I doubt there's a major difference between manifolds, 318 vs 340 are only 5hp difference on a 300 hp engine, I highly doubt LS manifolds make more than 5hp over 340 manifolds even if 10-15hp that's still a 418hp engine. Even if they kill 50 hp on a 550 hp 435 W2 engine = 500 hp.

... 318 vs 340 are only 5hp difference on a 300 hp engine, ...

Not a valid "test". The cam was the limiting factor, so while it picked up some power changing to the HP manifolds, the test doesn't explore how the motor would respond with a real cam. Not saying the HP manifolds are worth more than 5 hp, only that the referenced test didn't do squat to give real info. Update the motor to make the exhaust the bottleneck and then change them and then (maybe) we would have some real info.

My opinion on the manifolds is as follows, and admittedly is worth zilch. Unless you are in some kind of competition and need every tenth, who cares. Put them on and enjoy whatever the motor makes. Reminds me of the guy with a "500 horsepower" motor that goes from the trailer to the grass and back again, it's just chest thumping and posturing. So what if the motor makes 500 with headers and only 450 with manifolds as long as the owner enjoys driving it. There will always be someone faster on the street anyway, and (far as I can tell) the OP isn't looking to tangle with the Street Outlaw guys.

One thing is certain, the OP’s quest to get into the 11’s using a 435” SBM with W2 heads and exhaust manifolds in an A body won’t require any out of the ordinary wizardry to reach that goal.

Be interesting if it ends up going on the dyno..........and then down the track.

Two posters on this thread have already done it.......without the 435” or the W2’s.

Edit-
I forgot about the 4 speed and 3.55’s.
If you couple that with some repop bias plies.......it’ll def get harder to run 11’s.

Last edited:
Lots of negativity being thrown around. If you’re not here to contribute any help why don’t you go clutter up someone else’s thread? I think there’s another thread arguing about ported vs manifold vacuum advance somewhere.

Here you go again with the boo hoos. Take your meds and calm the hell down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back