Lets Talk Open Barrel Crimpers - Reviews and Discussion

-
I figured out how to get them to work. You have to trim the ears down a little bit on the packard connector. This allows them to curl when being crimped. When I don't do this, the two ears just meet at the top and form a triangle over the wire, which is useless.

Maybe they work fine with some connectors but definitely not the ones I bought off ebay.
That's a good tip. I have run into that before. Next time I run into that I'll give shortening the ears a try. Thank you.

I bought A pico wiring # 0663T open barrel crimper tool, which seems be the same as the one linked eariler by @toolmanmike and a bunch of Pico 5950C connectors from my local automotive electrical supplier here. I was working repair my parking light wiring on my '62 Valiant.

I had to futtz with it a bit, as I wasted maybe 5-8 terminals before I realized that I had to trim the open barrel flags down a bit before it would work properly. Eventually I got acceptable crimps and now I should be in buisness. I am not sure if the are the best crimps ever, but I think thay will conduct voltage and current for my parking lamp.

Thanks for the info Matt and others, as well as a good how to found here elsewhere on the site.

53549158296_fc0d319171_c.jpg

53549597900_5f90db5961_c.jpg

I bought A pico wiring # 0663T open barrel crimper tool, which seems be the same as the one linked eariler by @toolmanmike and a bunch of Pico 5950C connectors from my local automotive electrical supplier here. I was working repair my parking light wiring on my '62 Valiant.

I had to futtz with it a bit, as I wasted maybe 5-8 terminals before I realized that I had to trim the open barrel flags down a bit before it would work properly. Eventually I got acceptable crimps and now I should be in buisness. I am not sure if the are the best crimps ever, but I think thay will conduct voltage and current for my parking lamp.

Thanks for the info Matt and others, as well as a good how to found here elsewhere on the site.

View attachment 1716211731

View attachment 1716211732
Nicely done! They do take a little practice but they are good connectors!

Last edited:
Sometimes the AWG the terminal is supposed to be for is a little big for the particular wire or wire insulation we're using. It doesn't help that SAE gage wire uses larger strands and so has slightly less cross sectional density than the same AWG stranded wire. And insulation thickness can vary quite a bit too depending on what its for and made of.

In the 60s the smallest wire Chrysler used was 18 gage (SAE), but at some point they started using 20 gage for circuits with lower loads - probably to save space and maybe some pennies too.

-
Back