Lighter valve springs = more horsepower?

-

JGC403

Reaction score
If lighter springs are able to be used without increasing the risk of valve float, would it increase horsepower? Titanium valves and keepers are usually used to decrease the risk of valve float at higher RPMs. Now if valve float wasn't a problem in this engines RPM range, if cost wasn't an issue and titanium valves and keepers were used could lighter valve springs be used and would you see a noticeable increase in horsepower?

i'd think it would be the same thing, more potential to rev the motor quicker, but not an increase in and of itself

if valve float wasn't an issue then yes... with a lighter spring rate it allows the engine to turn easier with less resistance...

now to help the top end you can make it lighter to help keep spring pressures down while keeping valve float away...

ANYTHING that reduces internal engine losses increases output horspower. I can't believe in this day and age that we still use mechanical camshafts -- as opposed to electronic controlled solenoids, etc. Just think---now cam/ cam drive friction, the solenoids would open and close the valves, and the computer would give you infinite control over the cam "profile."

ANYTHING that reduces internal engine losses increases output horspower. I can't believe in this day and age that we still use mechanical camshafts -- as opposed to electronic controlled solenoids, etc. Just think---now cam/ cam drive friction, the solenoids would open and close the valves, and the computer would give you infinite control over the cam "profile."

isn't that what indy does or pneumatic?

talk about some killer rides! every motor could have a perfect cam!

isn't that what indy does or pneumatic?

talk about some killer rides! every motor could have a perfect cam!

solenoids would be cool to control the valves. You would be making the most torque possible at all RPMs.

So Titanium valves aren't in the budget. Does anyone make undercut valves or valves with 8mm stems for the big blocks?

I was looking at the lightweight tool steel spring retainers on Mancini's website. I might go with those, and beehive springs.

solenoids would be cool to control the valves. You would be making the most torque possible at all RPMs.

So Titanium valves aren't in the budget. Does anyone make undercut valves or valves with 8mm stems for the big blocks?

I was looking at the lightweight tool steel spring retainers on Mancini's website. I might go with those, and beehive springs.

we just started running the tool steel retainers in our hemis! they are great! just as light as the titanium and half the cost...

I say probably not. I read an article by David Reher in National Dragster once that addressed this very question and his answer was no, whatever increased resistance there is to opening the valve is negated by that same force in closing the valve.

I say probably not. I read an article by David Reher in National Dragster once that addressed this very question and his answer was no, whatever increased resistance there is to opening the valve is negated by that same force in closing the valve.

wouldn't that be more of a harmonics thing? i mean i get what your saying, the valve/spring would help turn the engine over on the way up, but you would still have that initial resistance, maybe more harmonics than anything??

According to Comp, every gram of weight reduction in the valvetrain adds 30-40 RPM potential to a motor. Obviously the rest of the motor has to work to take advantage of the additional RPM, but its pretty surprising how many combos are valvetrain limited.

Further, a lot of the pressure of a spring is required to control its own weight. Lighter springs, less pressure required, less drag on the motor.

Beehives have picked up everything I have ever put them in. But its important that in the quest for lighter weight you don't skimp on the pushrods. Thicker, stronger pushrods are always better.

wouldn't that be more of a harmonics thing? i mean i get what your saying, the valve/spring would help turn the engine over on the way up, but you would still have that initial resistance, maybe more harmonics than anything??

I'm not as smart as David Reher is when it comes to this type of thing. There's no denying they make some serious horsepower no matter what brand it is.

-
Back