Lightweight spare tire!!

-

1972orangebeast

Reaction score
Well I have been doing a little searching and the other day I was at pick n pull and found the perfect spare tire! It's out of a crown Vic so fits our BP and its aluminum so half the weight. The next best thing is a lot of us upgrading to bigger brakes and the 14" and 15" spares won't fit with big calipers and such. Well this is a 16" and clears my 4 piston wilwood set up with ease!! Oh and the best part it fits in the trunk and is flush with the floor! I added couple pics the tire size is 145/80/16 it measures 25 1/2" so fits up front and could use in the rear also.

Attachments

• image-2363806534.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 966
  • image-3137832437.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 1,097
  • image-922837403.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 761
Cool tip, I might have to snatch one or 2 up next time I go, thanks!

............ snatch ......... 2............

wrjjol.jpg

Yes, I have a spare from an older Crown Vic in my trunk. A word of caution, though. If you have a sure grip rear you wouldn't want to go far, if at all with this on the rear axle.
Jus' sayin'
C

Yes, I have a spare from an older Crown Vic in my trunk. A word of caution, though. If you have a sure grip rear you wouldn't want to go far, if at all with this on the rear axle.
Jus' sayin'
C

unless you get a flat just around the corner. lol .

I was happy it cleared my 12" brakes and calipers and fit in the stock location! And as a bonus was half the weight of steel wheels and spare tires! I pray I never need it but you just never know.....

Well I have been doing a little searching and the other day I was at pick n pull and found the perfect spare tire! It's out of a crown Vic so fits our BP and its aluminum so half the weight. The next best thing is a lot of us upgrading to bigger brakes and the 14" and 15" spares won't fit with big calipers and such. Well this is a 16" and clears my 4 piston wilwood set up with ease!! Oh and the best part it fits in the trunk and is flush with the floor! I added couple pics the tire size is 145/80/16 it measures 25 1/2" so fits up front and could use in the rear also.

Thanks Orange beast! Do you know if it works on a stock hub? That is a great point about the bigger brake set. I will get mine down the road.:sign7:

The Ford center register diameter is smaller than Mopar. Maybe the willwood hubs are a little smaller. But check that rim on your rear end to make sure it fits.

Otherwise, you just die grind out the center register on the rim some. That's what I did with my aluminum spare.

I've been wondering about which dougnut spares would fit and was thinking Ford full size. Thanks for posting the info!

The Ford center register diameter is smaller than Mopar. Maybe the willwood hubs are a little smaller. But check that rim on your rear end to make sure it fits.

Otherwise, you just die grind out the center register on the rim some. That's what I did with my aluminum spare.

Thanks autoxcuda! I learn so much from all of you!

Have not checked the rear yet, but yea if it doesn'tI'll just die grind it out,

For stock hubs would see why not as long as that hole fits or just machine it out, but it's crazy how much lighter aluminum spare is!

Just a nice cheap alternative light weight tall enough to fit front and rear, and still fit in the stock location so I have full use of the trunk space!

Jus' sayin'
C

Why? How would it be different than driving the car in a circle? The outter wheel will be rotating much more than the inner wheel while making a circle.... Does making turns ruin a SG?

There are some aluminum 15" ford space saver spares that I have seen used for skinnies on drag cars. Not sure what they came in. I looked at the u pull it buf could not find any.

Sooooo, is the 90's FORD Crown Vic bp 5 on 4"? Lemmee guess, the metric equivalent?! I'm looking for 14 or 15" skinny-ish wheels for my early A body Dart. I'm going to run moon discs so what they look like is secondary to all else.

Sooooo, is the 90's FORD Crown Vic bp 5 on 4"? Lemmee guess, the metric equivalent?! I'm looking for 14 or 15" skinny-ish wheels for my early A body Dart. I'm going to run moon discs so what they look like is secondary to all else.

No, Ford is 5 x 4.5" -- BBP. Nobody ever made a spacesaver spare for SBP Mopar. I'm sure back in the day some drag racers had SBP skinnies, but I can't say I have seen any. Maybe Centerline makes one?

Thanks....that would make sense. I know Fords and Mopars shared 4.5" bp. I don't know why, now, but was thinking we were talking the SBP.

I'm not a ford fan, but for wheels thank god we do cause helps keep cost of wheels down. Since everything else for our cars is like gold!

Thanks 1972 orangebeast, for the idea. Today was a 50% off all parts at a local Salvage yard and I got one for $11.00! It just needs a little cleaning up. It really is amazing how much lighter it is. I wish Chrysler made one as well, but you do what you have to do.:glasses7:

By the way, how long are these spares good for? I hear you should not use tires that are more than 6 years old.

I've contemplated these a time or two for use as skinnies for drag racing. they aren't hard to come by round here

Thanks 1972 orangebeast, for the idea. Today was a 50% off all parts at a local Salvage yard and I got one for $11.00! It just needs a little cleaning up. It really is amazing how much lighter it is. I wish Chrysler made one as well, but you do what you have to do.:glasses7:

Chrysler did! They came in Jeep Cherokees.

-
Back