linelock and 2 step, one button?

-

Cope

Fusing with fire
Reaction score
im about to buy the shifter button knob to hook up my linelock and 2 step. Im slightly confused here.
Do I want to stage with line lock on and 2 step in low rpm, then drop both the linelock and 2 step at the same time?

Or have the 2 step on the shifter and linelock on the dash using foot break to stage and linelock for burnout only?

i know we covered this once but i cant seem to find the thread on it.

Car is auto trans 904.

any and all help is appreciated, Thanks and have a great 4th!

Last edited:
I'd want the linelock and two step to both come off at the same time.
Unless you want to control a bit of tire spin by limiting your RPM's on launch or something anyway, but both off at the same time would make more sense to me.

I have two line locks, one for front and one rear. I use the front for burnouts, and both when staged. The two line locks are connected to a button which also activates the two step. There's a total of 3 switches to separate the front line lock and both line locks with the two step.

so you are launching off the linelock and 2 step, but your also locking the rear.

would you share a quick sketch of your wiring for that?

Thanks again.

so you are launching off the linelock and 2 step, but your also locking the rear.

would you share a quick sketch of your wiring for that?

Thanks again.

Quick sketch, now there's a good one. :D

The front line lock wouldn't hold the car, so I needed the rear as well. I have a switch on my dash for just the front line lock. I have a toggle switch feeding power to the button I use for both the locks and two step. When the toggle switch is on and I hold the button it sends to signal to my two step and the solenoids. I guess when I think about it the dash switch can turn on the front and rear line locks with the two step if the toggle switch by my shifter is on. It's kind of complex, but I can make a diagram if need be.

Power to a switch/button for the front line lock. Splice another wire off that to a toggle switch. After the toggle you have a power wire to the two step and second line lock if needed. I have more switches/buttons than you need, but they're for different purposes. Rocker switch for burnouts on the dash, a "quick" button for pro trees, and a Biondo button for bottom bulb racing.

Confused yet?

:drama:

:usflag:

Happy fourth and stay free.

Thanks and im not confused. i just wanted to know if folks were staging with lineloc on.

so i will tie power to lileloc and 2 step to the one button. that way i can let go lineloc and 2 step on the green...

:steering:

...........Is that like having a poor mans trans brake?........kim.......
Pretty much. Doesn't hit the drivetrain as hard, but you get the convenience of a button for launching. It has treated me well.

so i will tie power to line lock and 2 step to the one button. that way i can let go lineloc and 2 step on the green...

going to have to separate the circuit some how...otherwise went you do your burnout you are going to engage the 2 step on the low side...

toggle switch

:drama:

:usflag:

Happy fourth and stay free.

Thanks and im not confused. i just wanted to know if folks were staging with lineloc on.

so i will tie power to lileloc and 2 step to the one button. that way i can let go lineloc and 2 step on the green...

:steering:
hi, look up the setup, made by msd, for this. t's very simple and works!!! they have a relay just for this. also, they show how to wire it. way better than any other setup.

so i will tie power to line lock and 2 step to the one button. that way i can let go lineloc and 2 step on the green...

going to have to separate the circuit some how...otherwise went you do your burnout you are going to engage the 2 step on the low side...

toggle switch
The toggle switch activating the two step and rear lock is the key. At one time instead of the button I tied the two step to my brake light switch, but the button is faster and more consistent.

We have 2 classes at the 7 tracks I have raced at, Foot brake and Pro. In the foot brake class you can not have any buttons of any kind (foot brake only). In the Pro class you can run a Trans Brake, line lock or foot brake.

All we have is sportsman, pro and super pro. Pro is the largest class with the most money, so I race it. In order to compete with the transbrake guys I set up the system I have now. Used to just use the foot brake and did well, but the button/two-step setup wins so much more.

I have two line locks, one for front and one rear. I use the front for burnouts, and both when staged. The two line locks are connected to a button which also activates the two step. There's a total of 3 switches to separate the front line lock and both line locks with the two step.

I'm not trying to be the rules police here, because in all honesty nobody will probably ever know you are doing it, but it's not legal to use a 4 wheel line lock system to stage the car. At least that's my understanding. Supposedly, can only use it on the fronts for staging.

Just sharing in case you need to know. I wouldn't say a word about it if I raced you every week and knew it. However, some people might.

I don't think I have ever read where it was illegal in NHRA Pro class.

Looking at the 2016 rule book I can no longer find the reference to the line lock on the 4 wheels...Used to be in there.

I looked in the bracket racing section and general rules section.....maybe legal now...LOL

Used to be illegal to have 4 wheel line lock. It's been legal for a few years, used it the past two years. I had mine with a diode so I could use just the front line lock for burnout, then a seperate trans brake button to leave on(2 step and both locks activated)

Well the way your wanting to wire it is just the way I was planing on doing mine. Two step to engage the line loc and I plan on using an adjustable RPM box and try and set it to where the brakes will hold the car. That is my plan, we'll see if it works?

I got the old analog 2 step so I bought MSD low rpm adjustable module (pill) adjustable from 1,000-3,500 RPM.

should hold fine anywhere in that range. (I hope)

My one fear is that is by accident I hit the button while driving on the street it will lock out the brakes. So I may install a 2 way toggle on the dash that allows line loc off, and on.
That way I can turn off the line loc while street driving.

I launch at 2400-2700. It'll hold up to 3700, but my 60' is best at a lower rpm.
The solenoid would lock you out from being able to use the brakes. My advice would be place the button where you won't accidentally hit it...

The button I just bought is in my B&M shifter nob on my pro ratchet shifter.

My thought was one hand on the wheel and one hand on the button/shifter.

Stage at 2,700-2,800 RPM (on the 2 step) as my cam comes on at 3,000.RPM

On green let the converter flash, line loc let's go and two step goes into high all at once with just moving my thumb.

Am I on the right track or no?

-
Back