looking for a good mechanical engineering college need some insight please

-

strokedracer05

Reaction score
I am looking to go on to get my bachelors in mechanical engineering and i am just curious to opinions on where a good college is. I want to keep it on the east coast preferrably i have been on google but i would like to hear some opinions first hand.

Keenan

Stevens Institute of Technology Hoboken, New Jersey.

Newark College of Engineering Newark NJ

Mercer University, Macon, Ga.

All are excellent schools but not very well known. Mercer is rather costly.

I'm at Purdue for ME now... One if the best... Number 2 engineering school in the nation last I checked. Our sports are terrible though. It's real competitive and there are a lot of things to keep you busy and dress up your résumé. They invest money in the program since it brings international students. We did just get a new president of the university but I don't see that changing too much. Also they are working on making a 3 semester a year plan to have students who want to move quickly through the program out in about 2 1/2 years.

South Dakota School of Mines & Technology in Rapid City, SD. Not on east coast but very good school and reputation. Best return of salary versus tuition cost. I graduated from there in ME in 1970. Very well satisfied with my education.

Im liking the replys guys. It really helps i didnt see any of those colleges on google as i though would happen and happy it didnt.

US News puts out a report every year on the best colleges for various degrees. Here's a link to the best undergrad engineering schools.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/engineering

And here's the complete listings just for best ME schools..

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/engineering

There are other ranking reports out there, although US News is one of the more popular. Still, rankings aren't everything. I'd happily put my aerospace degree from UCLA up against one from Stanford or Cal (since I know folks that went to both of those schools), but they show up on the lists and UCLA doesn't.

Still, if you look at all the engineering lists it'll give you a pretty good idea of what schools value the major, and you'll notice that the better schools don't just show up on the mechanical list, or civil list, or aero list, they show up on ALL of them. MIT for example is #1 on about half of the specialty lists, which makes sense as its pretty much the highest regarded school for math, engineering, etc.

I think the more important part is that you actually LIKE the school you're going to, so it pays to visit a few schools. Actually walk around and talk to people, or even better, talk to the professors, academic advisors, etc to get an idea if the school matches up with what you want to do. Because if you don't like the school, or the department, professors, etc, its going to be a lot harder to finish. And unless you're really looking at the top couple of percent of jobs out there, a degree from most engineering schools is going to get you where you need to go, as long as you finish it. I know plenty of guys that went to schools that are no where on that list that have very nice careers in the industry.

I like Clarkson University in Potsdam, NY.

I was going to go there until the finances fell through.

Back when I was in high school Clarkson had a 98% placement rate, and according to the interweb today they are ranked in the top 15 for salaries after graduation.

Depends alot on where you are - or where you want to go geographically. Even though I got my degree from Syracuse I think one of the best schools for engineering is NC State. The good thing about an engineering degree is that you do not have to go to a private (Ivy League) school to get the best programs. The best ones are at state universities.

I like the idea of the options thats out there and the opinions given and moving to a warmer climate also sounds good. But some are in a colder climate which isnt a big deal. Anyone have any opinions on duke university in durham nc? Ive read good reviews so far.

I like the idea of the options thats out there and the opinions given and moving to a warmer climate also sounds good. But some are in a colder climate which isnt a big deal. Anyone have any opinions on duke university in durham nc? Ive read good reviews so far.

Duke is a good example of what I mentioned in my earlier post. It is a private school ($40k+/yr tuition) and the engineering programs are not as good as those at NC state.

If you really want a warmer climate, and you want an awesome engineering school you should check out Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo. State school, with one of the higher regarded engineering programs in the country. Of course, it is out here in California, but its well worth the trip. Better program there than at pretty much all of the UC's, and most private schools out there.

Duke is a good example of what I mentioned in my earlier post. It is a private school ($40k+/yr tuition) and the engineering programs are not as good as those at NC state.

Yep thats what i figured out and its a huge college which isnt something im looking for.

If you really want a warmer climate, and you want an awesome engineering school you should check out Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo. State school, with one of the higher regarded engineering programs in the country. Of course, it is out here in California, but its well worth the trip. Better program there than at pretty much all of the UC's, and most private schools out there.

That is far away not sure if i wanna go that far away although i have read nothing but greatness about that school.

In the Carolinas, NC State and Clemson are very good options.

Calling NC state tomarrow! Will look into clemson also. Loving the options thats throwed out there at me some of these colleges ive never heard of.

In reference o Blu'n blu's response: Very good, such a big social scene/parties though.I would recommend ,checking out Frankie's choices.P.M. him ,about where he went. Stand up bad - *** businessman.

-
Back