Looking into new cam, what else do I need??

-

myasylum

Reaction score
Hello, I'm looking into the Lunati Voodoo 262-268 cam, I have read that I'd need new springs and MAYBE rockers? Can someone point me into a direction or what to get to complete this? This would be done on a budget, and since I'm planning on getting a new intake and Carb money is dwindling quickly.
Is there possibly a complete kit out there to look at to avoid any confusion?

Also, I thought maybe taking the motor in for a complete rebuild or refreshing, and just have them add the parts. Any ideas on what that may cost? I'm still unsure of the route to go. I plan on getting the parts in a couple weeks. The motor I found in a 76 360 for $150.00.

Thanks!

I would recommend new springs anytime you upgrade a camshaft.I have bent too many pushrods myself in my younger years.As far as rockers go,its not duration you have to worry about but lift.with no more lift than that cam has,you will be fine.

Well, you didn't say what you are trying to get out of it.

That cam you are thinking about has these specs:
Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 262/268
Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 220/226
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .475/.494
LSA/ICL: 112/108
Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
RPM Range: 1400-5800

If you want something with a good balance of performance and gas mileage without breaking the bank, this is my suggestion:

Do a bone stock rebuild on the 360 using off the shelf parts (if required). You can get a decent pile of parts for minimal expense from PAW's catalog. They have really basic kits that start at about $150 and go up from there with the addition of pistons and better parts.
If you are truly trying to just get a little more performance from the stock engine without changing valve springs, you should try one of these:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM-K6901&autoview=sku

And combine it with this package deal:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CMB-03-0171&autoview=sku

Please keep in mind that there are many ways to skin a cat. I would highly reccomend doing some serious ebay shopping to find these parts....you will likely save a bunch of money.

Good luck,
Dave

replace the timing chain while you are there also

Yup, you need to change the timing chain. The Dyna Gear is a very good inexpensive unit with 1/4" rollers instead of the typical 3/16" ones.

Judge mills....the Summit cam I suggested comes with new lifters and is compatible with stock springs. If the budget allows, I would also replace the springs with new stockers. The factory rockers would be fine with this cam.

Yup, you need to change the timing chain. The Dyna Gear is a very good inexpensive unit with 1/4" rollers instead of the typical 3/16" ones.

Judge mills....the Summit cam I suggested comes with new lifters and is compatible with stock springs. If the budget allows, I would also replace the springs with new stockers. The factory rockers would be fine with this cam.

Yeah, most cams come with lifters, I just wanted to throw that out there :wave:

I remember when I replaced the springs on my 318 when I rebuilt it.... I could squash down the stock springs with my fingers.....:eek:

Obviously you'll need the cam and lifters. Add to it springs, locks, retainers (your retainers probably have the rotators and can not be used with a perf cam), and a new timing set. figure $190 cam/lifters, springs locks retainers $140, and $50 for timing set, and $25 for gaskets. Now do you want to get those springs set with the proper seat pressures? Gotta take the heads off and let a machine shop/ cylinder head place do them. Well damn, since the heads are off, lets get a good 3 angle valve job done on them and put in new guides. Before you know it...$$$ Unfortunately that's how it usually works.

Here's a very nice Cloyes timing chain and gears for less than $50 delivered. that may be hard to beat!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cloy...r-318-360_W0QQitemZ120324601112QQcmdZViewItem

P.S.I did a search and I'm now wondering if Dynagear went under or got bought out...can't even find them....I've got one of their double roller timing chain and gear sets in my 340.
The Cloyes unit uses .200" rollers, slightly larger than 3/16's of an inch. My Dynagear uses .250's.

Obviously you'll need the cam and lifters. Add to it springs, locks, retainers (your retainers probably have the rotators and can not be used with a perf cam), and a new timing set. figure $190 cam/lifters, springs locks retainers $140, and $50 for timing set, and $25 for gaskets. Now do you want to get those springs set with the proper seat pressures? Gotta take the heads off and let a machine shop/ cylinder head place do them. Well damn, since the heads are off, lets get a good 3 angle valve job done on them and put in new guides. Before you know it...$$$ Unfortunately that's how it usually works.

Sorry to say, this the the only way to fly. Take the heads to a decent place along with your new springs. Get new guides, seals, valve job, and asssembly. You might find you need to buy a couple valves if they don't clean up. Also, consider hardened exhaust seats.

I know it's expensive - but then you KNOW your heads are good. Down the road, maybe you do a complete rebuild, but you'll know the heads are good to go.

On the other hand, you mentioned getting the whole engine done. IF you go this route, that would be best. Get a whole "engine kit" from Summit. I buy all my parts from my engine shop. He sells them to me cheaper than Summit or Jegs. See if the machine shop can mill the heads to up the compression.

The exhaust valve retainers do not have the rotaters on a 76 motor.
If your heads have casting #: 585 or 593 you are good.

-
Back