Looking to buy/build 500-600 fwhp 360

-
Not sure how much experience the OP has at the track, but when trying to make parts last with a stick at the track, a roll control helped to stage and take up the slack in the drive train before launch. that little bit of slack dropping the clutch at 35-4K RPM is enough, in my limited experience, to break a very strong 'street differential'.
I mentioned the clutch tamer but I think that went in one and out the other...

I caught it.
I was waiting to see what the OP said about it. LOL

I'm assuming that the reference is not revving the car to 6 grand sidestepping the clutch. Doin' a little wheelie should soften the shock!

Trans is a fresh rebuild, and it is the "Hemi" 4 speed. My dad had it build for drag racing. He has the synchronizers modified, something about every other tooth removed. I think the 3rd member on the 8 3/4 is a posi that has been rebuilt. I figured the trans would hold up if they were behind Hemi's. I guess if it breaks I will have to upgrade to a Lenco and Dana 60. Just kidding, don't really want to do that...
your transmission has been "slick shifted"! google herb mccandles slick shifted! you can launch it and turn to red line, and just grab your next gear with out depressing the clutch! being a hemi 4 speed means its got stronger shafts in it! had one herb fixed in a 71 duster, 2nd biggest mistake i ever made was letting that car go! more fun than a lot lizard with a quarter slot behind her ear!!!

your transmission has been "slick shifted"! google herb mccandles slick shifted! you can launch it and turn to red line, and just grab your next gear with out depressing the clutch! being a hemi 4 speed means its got stronger shafts in it! had one herb fixed in a 71 duster, 2nd biggest mistake i ever made was letting that car go! more fun than a lot lizard with a quarter slot behind her ear!!!
Hell, they sold 'em through the DC catalog.

B1AB5645-CCF4-468B-8F72-099114A53980.jpeg
Now Lurch, I don't know how to ask this without comin off as a smartass....and I promise, I'm not....BUT......and bear with me......

Do you know WHAT 500-600 HP even feels like, or are these numbers you're just reaching outta the sky for? A lot of people have never driven or been in a car with that much power. All too often we get newbies or kids (not saying you're either....I don't really know) and they just spit out numbers they've read about in magazines or on forums. 500-600 HP will get you deep into the tens and possibly faster in a light A body.

I am asking simply because If you don't want something "that fast or quick" it's gonna save you a lot of cash. Help us out here.

Well, I'm not going to be running 4:56 rear gears and dumping the clutch at 5 grand followed by jamming through the gears. I do really think the car will run 10's, but I think you are overestimating my ability to shift quickly through the 1/4 mile. I'm losing a lot with 3:55 gears, but I want to be able to drive it on the street without my ears bleeding. Money is not really an issue, but I would like to build it right once and not go through a series of broken drivetrain parts upgrading along the way. I appreciate your input.

4C8C9FB4-576D-4651-85B1-C67A7717A605.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you for all the feedback. This project was started about 30 years ago by my dad, who passed away last year. I decided to go with a "Nitrous Under Glass" theme. The cool way the seat folds down and opens into the trunk will be perfect for popping in some nitrous tanks. Pretty cool to show them off through the back window. Also, I am a dentist so I always wanted to build a nitrous motor. It's going to be cool to pull up to the line, vent the nitrous like a raging bull and let her rip.

I like the direct feel of a stick-shift car. I know it is less reliable and consistent, but you lose horsepower with an automatic and a ford 9 inch. It makes more sense to scale back on the horsepower a bit and try not to lose as much through the drivetrain. My Corvette did not lose much HP to the rear wheels due to the 12 bolt diff and TKO 5 speed.

Thank you for all the feedback. This project was started about 30 years ago by my dad, who passed away last year. I decided to go with a "Nitrous Under Glass" theme. The cool way the seat folds down and opens into the trunk will be perfect for popping in some nitrous tanks. Pretty cool to show them off through the back window. Also, I am a dentist so I always wanted to build a nitrous motor. It's going to be cool to pull up to the line, vent the nitrous like a raging bull and let her rip.

I like the direct feel of a stick-shift car. I know it is less reliable and consistent, but you lose horsepower with an automatic and a ford 9 inch. It makes more sense to scale back on the horsepower a bit and try not to lose as much through the drivetrain. My Corvette did not lose much HP to the rear wheels due to the 12 bolt diff and TKO 5 speed.
If you're planning on nitrous bottles under the glass try not to leave it out on a sunny day and get those nitrous bottles far too hot... If they're in the cab you'll learn about blow down tubes as well...
Anybody who says an automatic is faster is full of crap... It's just easier... The stands always fill up for the four-speed cars.. they're the most fun to drive and the most fun to watch race...

And remember any one of those so-called complete nitrous kits are about 50 to 60% of what you really will need...

have you ever personally Shifted a slick shifted box without using the clutch? No one I know ever does that. It is an any quicker and the trash is the gearbox

have you ever personally Shifted a slick shifted box without using the clutch? No one I know ever does that. It is an any quicker and the trash is the gearbox
i always put my foot on the peddle and took the pressure off the clutch!! i got trust issues with drive shafts,..u-joints and such!

i always put my foot on the peddle and took the pressure off the clutch!! i got trust issues with drive shafts,..u-joints and such!
Yeah, no kidding. You really think about that in a Corvette with the half shafts spinning 6 inches behind your butt.

My advice is to start with the motor you have.. and work your way up..
Heck, my first car over 40 years ago was a 56 Chevy with a 389 GTO motor in it. Everybody I knew had a 400-650 hp car. How long is this going to take? lol

And remember any one of those so-called complete nitrous kits are about 50 to 60% of what you really will need...
We've got a good speed shop here. I'm just going to drop it off and have him install it and dial it in. I've got way too much going on to do it myself, as much as I'd like to.

If it was me and I had the dough, I would get something from Blueprint. @Johnny Mac is a hell of a guy and it's a great company.

-
Back