Loud noise from torque converter area

-

falconsdart

Reaction score
Well my old 904 was slipping a lot so I replaced it earlier today with another 904 that was from another dart i had that was in better condition. After replacing it everytime i start it theres this awful squeal coming from the torque converter/flexplate area. What could be causing this noise? It also did not make this noise before with the older trans.

Did you seat the TC into the pump properly?
Did you have to pull the convertor forward, out of the pump, to bolt it up to the flexplate?
Might the TC bolts be rubbing on the inspection plate?
Are both trannys and both TCs, 1967 or newer?

I don't know how, this is my first time pulling out and replacing a trans. I did pull it forward a little, im guessing i shouldn't have done that? Im going to pull the little metal shield off tomorrow and remove the bolts and try bolting it in while its seated all the way inside on the pump

you haven't said what year model. The later torque converters have a lager diameter nose that doesn't fit the earlier crankshafts.

I would pull the inspection plate and start it up to see if your noise goes away?

If you had to pull the TC forward to meet the flexplate, that would be normal, and seems to indicate that it has been correctly installed.
There is not much room between the big cover-plate and the bolt heads in the spinning flexplate. It doesn't take much of a bend in the cover-plate for it to touch them, and then you get a screaming noise.

Bolts backing out. Thats a distinct hitting noise. Squeal? Maybe the starter is staying engaged.

Try pushing on the inspection cover in a couple of different places with it running, and if the sound changes when pushing on it then you know it's a dust cover problem.
They are pretty touchy about being straight, or the converter bolts hit.

Yeah it turned out to be the cover plate, i unbolted it and pulled it off and noticed it had a small dent going towards the flexplate with scrape marks on it. I flattened it out, bolted it back on and started it and the noise was gone. Thanks guys, the advice is much appreciated!

-
Back