LS powered Duster, Abomination or Go For it!

-

300Ronin

Reaction score
Hello fellow A-Body enthusiasts!
Im sure this has been asked, but here we go anyways.. As the title states, stay mopar or go LS? I have access to a free LS. 5.3, out of a low mileage GM (27k miles) Would any of you consider that, or would it be an abomination. I have a 71 duster that i recently dragged home, and needs alot of work as you all can imagine. I'm not restoring to trailer queen finish, in fact im going to drive it like i stole it! Restomod, sure but nothing near stock, I just want a street ready, bat out of hell muscle car that can handle the occasional trip to the strip or VIR type road course. Any input or advice would be awesome. Thanks for your reply's, looking forward to the upcoming conversations.

Driverseatshot.jpg

EngineShot.jpg

Rearpanshot.jpg

Sideshot1.jpg

Sideshot4.jpg

I would stay Mopar if it were mine. Gen 3 hemi if you want a modern power plant. At the end of the day its your car.

Personally, I’d say stay Mopar, but
It is your car, but for God Sakes, don’t put a cowl induction hood on it just kidding, you gotta put up with the comments, not me.
Staying Mopar will
Cost you more money -Edit-(to built the actual engine) but it does fit
Test your skills at finding parts.
Give you the pride that comes from being a little more exclusive- whether or not they are built to perform, they get lookers at a cruise night because not everyone has one.
Bonus- At every car show, you get at least one story about someone’s brother, friend, uncle that had a factory 440 Hemi Duster with a Rock Crusher 4 speed and Posi that nobody could beat.

Last edited:
Build what ya want, keep the hood closed to not get beat up. LOLOLOLOLOLOL.

That being said, if i ever build a Cobra kit car it will be around a 440.......

If it was me I wouldn't for me the whole point of driving a mopar is for mopar engines, to me once you drop a Chev into it your car is a Chev now, there's ton of Chev cars out there waiting for an LS swap. Saying that it's your car do what you want.

Why go to all the adaptation trouble with a 3rd party engine when you can bolt in a 273 through 440.

I get the money aspect but will you really be saving anything when all is said and done?

Personally, I’d say stay Mopar, but
It is your car, but for God Sakes, don’t put a cowl induction hood on it just kidding, you gotta put up with the comments, not me.
Staying Mopar will
Cost you more money
Cause you more headaches
Test your skills at finding parts.
Give you the pride that comes from being a little more exclusive

Staying mopar will cost him more money than an LS swap?

I don't think so. Put a 5.9 magnum or LA 360 and go have some fun on the cheap.

Eventually everything sells and mis-matched powertrains, interiors, etc. most always devalues the vehicle. Keep that in mind but do what works best for you. :steering:

Why go to all the adaptation trouble with a 3rd party engine when you can bolt in a 273 through 440.

I get the money aspect but will you really be saving anything when all is said and done?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Seen alot of 440's out there selling for cheap, maybe i should shoehorn one of those bad boys in it??

Staying mopar will cost him more money than an LS swap?

I don't think so. Put a 5.9 magnum or LA 360 and go have some fun on the cheap.
If he already has 5.3, maybe. That will bolt directly to a GM o/d trans (that many here have swapped to) a set of conversion mounts, ….
Admittedly, I was really thinking of build cost.

If he already has 5.3, maybe. That will bolt directly to a GM o/d trans (that many here have swapped to) a set of conversion mounts, ….
Admittedly, I was really thinking of build cost.

Custom exhaust, mounts, headers, computer and wiring, etc stuff adds up quick. Sell the 5.3, buy a small block mopar, and save some money and a lot of aggravation. Just my two cents.

Hello fellow A-Body enthusiasts!
Im sure this has been asked, but here we go anyways.. As the title states, stay mopar or go LS? I have access to a free LS. 5.3, out of a low mileage GM (27k miles) Would any of you consider that, or would it be an abomination. I have a 71 duster that i recently dragged home, and needs alot of work as you all can imagine. I'm not restoring to trailer queen finish, in fact im going to drive it like i stole it! Restomod, sure but nothing near stock, I just want a street ready, bat out of hell muscle car that can handle the occasional trip to the strip or VIR type road course. Any input or advice would be awesome. Thanks for your reply's, looking forward to the upcoming conversations.

View attachment 1715927139

View attachment 1715927140

View attachment 1715927141

View attachment 1715927142

View attachment 1715927143
If your going to put an LS in it let it sit and rust, a Mopar guy will come along and want to fix it up correctly….

upgrade the rear end... 8.75 8.25 or an 8 inch ford whatever. disc brakes up front..

LS- meh. Every soccer mom with a Suburban has an LS.
Lumpy 383 or 440 would be much more badass IMHO

-
Back