LSx Valiant Build. Take a look inside...

-
Looks like a drum or disc brake mustang one will fit. Still 8.8, some with posi and discs. Differential centered and mopar big bolt pattern axles.
From what read you need the truck ones if you want to keep your leafs, the mustang 8.8's don't have the leaf perches on them, they have coils in the back.

Here is a prime example. Anyone with a GEN III swap done anything even remotely close?? Not that I've seen.

From what read you need the truck ones if you want to keep your leafs, the mustang 8.8's don't have the leaf perches on them, they have coils in the back.
Cut everything off and weld on you perches where you need them. Only thing I think,, mustang 8.8 is 28 spline axle,explorer is 31 spline.

Here is a prime example. Anyone with a GEN III swap done anything even remotely close?? Not that I've seen.

I've seen and used that. Mopar,,,,, No. That's why some mopar people try and adapt LS harnesses and ecms. It's hotrodding , use what works. If one wants to be original and a purist,then fine. But some don't.

I just found that out. 2.60 and 2.70's. I saw your postings on your 8.8 mod. Angle iron clamped it on and a pipe cutter cuts it straight. I don't trust myself on welding it as well. Mosier Engineering is an hour from me. I think I'd have them cut 2 5/8 off and install the ford outters to trash the c clips and still be money ahead compared to 8.75.

Last edited:
So already.... I have found a 5.3 truck motor with full harness, rebuilt turbo 350, motor mounts and rear end for less than $1000. Using the technique in the video all I have to do is get the VATS removed and run those two wires to my ignition, and leave all my turn signals and everything else the same and just find out how I want to hide the boxes and a majority of the swap is done for $1000. If I want to keep it NA I can just about pull off the whole swap for around $2k or less and have a running driving stock 5.3 LS swap with a cam in it.

If you go that route put some silicone around the knock sensor boots. And replace knock sensors so you you don't have to later after you have it all in the car. I know it is a common problem with 6.0 engines. Happened to me. They are under the intake manifold and fill up with water and short out.

I will probably pull the intake and replace some gaskets and other things along the way just to make sure its in top shape when I set it in. But to think I was almost committed to spending thousands more than need be just to stick with Mopar parts. I'll be updating the build thread on my car during the process and providing links, details, and shopping list for the swap as well as a total cost once complete. Thanks for all the help, and I will probably be pinging your inbox along the way.

I will probably pull the intake and replace some gaskets and other things along the way just to make sure its in top shape when I set it in. But to think I was almost committed to spending thousands more than need be just to stick with Mopar parts. I'll be updating the build thread on my car during the process and providing links, details, and shopping list for the swap as well as a total cost once complete. Thanks for all the help, and I will probably be pinging your inbox along the way.
Another thought,go carbed with a msd LS controller. I did with my 6.2. So much simpler and ignition curve and vacuum advance is very easy to map out once you get the hang of it. Runs all 8 of your ignition coils. Runs off 12 volts, cam and crank sensors. Really plug and play. Just a thought. I used an 800 cfm quadrajet, but you can use any.

Another thought,go carbed with a msd LS controller. I did with my 6.2. So much simpler and ignition curve and vacuum advance is very easy to map out once you get the hang of it. Runs all 8 of your ignition coils. Runs off 12 volts, cam and crank sensors. Really plug and play. Just a thought. I used an 800 cfm quadrajet, but you can use any.
i thought about that, but i dont really like messing with carbs. I grew up messing with fuel injection, and may plan to add boost to the mix as well. That puts it to a whole new level of carb that i have no concept of. Initially I will be doing a budget build and have a breakdown of everything and a dyno session at the end to see results. Current plans are to find a 6.0 a set of 243 heads, throw a nice cam and intake on it and drop her in.

Last edited:
My 6.2 has 10.5 compression and too much money to start over. That's what NOS is for... Lol. I have the fuel injection, just chose not to use it. My son in laws LS swappers 92 camaro we built is injected. But with hi cam and all it took him a month to set and tune it. That was everyday. Carb, 1 hour and was done and stayed that way. Depends on preference.

Getting the 6.0 and bolting on the stock 243 heads with the smaller combustion chamber helps bump the compression up a smidge. People are doing just the heads(bone stock, no rework) and a mild cam and pulling 400+hp out of those motors. So with an aggressive cam, valvetrain upgrades, a little rework on the heads and an intake should keep me satisfied.

Last edited:
Yea it's a shame that mopar didn't catch on and we. Gotta use an LS engine to make such simple and inexpensive hp.

I don't know if that's the problem if its the Mopar community mindset. The number of people willing to share the info/part numbers is miniscule compared to the LS community, making the prices for retail made parts higher, making the swaps more attainable. Its something the other automaker communities have moved past but the Mopar one seems to be the last one with their feet stuck in the mud and refusing to move like an old stubborn mule.

Well honestly to me it was difficult coming to terms with putting anything but mopar in my cuda. But after what I've seen and read, it just makes more sense. Especially since I already have a low mileage ls3 that I built sitting on the stand and I'd have to build my mopars. My 585hp ls3 was less to build too. The gm/904 helps a lot.

I wish I had a built LS3 just laying around. But I'm going to refresh a 6.0 a little bit and then go from there. New development for me, this morning I picked up a set of the commonly used manifolds that seem to be popular for LS swaps in Darts. Got them new in the box here local and were wayyyyyyy cheaper than buying GIII hemi headers. They also happen to be the same set my friend is using on his low 9 sec ls swapped fox. So it has officially begun.

I wish I had a built LS3 just laying around. But I'm going to refresh a 6.0 a little bit and then go from there. New development for me, this morning I picked up a set of the commonly used manifolds that seem to be popular for LS swaps in Darts. Got them new in the box here local and were wayyyyyyy cheaper than buying GIII hemi headers. They also happen to be the same set my friend is using on his low 9 sec ls swapped fox. So it has officially begun.
2010 camaro ss manifolds or? Yes it's very interesting build. The built LS3 was from another build. Stupid fast so I pulled it and built something else,,,, long story. Lol!

A set of these, they are what some would consider on the "cheap" side, but I know 3 people who beat on them everyday with 9-10 second cars and haven't had any issues in over a year. They're also what the only LS turbo swapped Dart I know is running on his setup.
20170701_133855_zpshkhwflgh.jpg

Those are what you're running? I thought they were turbo headers? I know of a guy running them.

Screenshot_20170701-173711_zpshj6jpvgh.jpg
Those are what you're running? I thought they were turbo headers? I know of a guy running them.
They are turbo manifolds, not just standard exhaust manifolds. With them flipped it avoids the steering gear box clearance issue and will run down on one side and connect to the turbo on the other side. This is them on his Carb'd foxbody he calls Chevystang. Pulls the front wheels every time, and runs low 9's.

Yes it is he carries the wheels pretty good on his setup, and the manifolds I picked up are the same brand/style as his, just for a newer LS. Also a new update, I finally found someone with a turbo LS swapped mopar albeit a Valiant,(). Spoke with him quite a bit last night and he ironed out all the questions I had and clarified a few things that were a little blurry. His car is the Flat Green Valiant called "the Mutt". 9.50 car at 14psi.

Wow, nice video. Mines gonna be naturally aspirated,10.5 compression, daily driver. Occasionally drags racing. I can hear em in the pit... LS powered mopar beat me....

-
Back