LSx Valiant Build. Take a look inside...

-
Stock gm castings/valves, ported to flow 351cfm at .600 lift for $1400. Know nothing of the 3G heads, do they flow like this???? Again, don't crucify me as the reason I am asking is I do not know....Texas Speed

Fact is this: the LSx engines fit remarkably well in a mopar chassis and that this is shaping up to be a fairly simple swap that will make very good power for the amount of dollars spent.

I just hope power steering can be kept. I don't like manual steering at all.

Granted i may be going to a coilver over k-member anyways, but keeping power steering would give me an option to keep the stock K-member w/ coilovers and not spend a grip on those nice K-member

LS1 Ace- Please don't take anything above the wrong way- none of it is directed at you. I like your build, and I'm looking forward to the results. I like LSx motors, and think a lot of the development both factory and aftermarket for the LSx. I just don't like people (not you) saying they are superior in every way when they are not.

I know man, I don't take it the wrong way at all. You're just standing up for a motor that you respect. That's all, no harm no foul man. To be completely honest, I looked extensively into a Hemi swap before I decided to go the LSx route. There were definitely some decent combos that I saw floating around. There were guys pushing Chargers and 300C's into the deep 11's, those are 4000 lb cars! Simply, the money aspect and turbocharging potential checked out better FOR ME with the LSx.

This thred has turned into a shyt storm. Not that I didn't expect it, but I certainly hoped it wouldn't happen. With that being said, I'm gonna head home and hopefully I make it there on time to take some close up pics for those of you who have expressed interest in this build (hopefully get this thread back on track).

It's clear that some folks came in here not only to talk smack, but to talk smack in hope's of having this thread closed. I don't think I'm breaking any rules. That being said, all of you who are interestedm if you pm me, I will save your user name and pm you all the useful info I come up with (just in case this thing gets closed).

Hopefully this isnt dead in the water. I wanna see this done and have somewhat of a guide for when i eventually do it myself.

I actually like this thread.The guy,I used to work for,is getting awesome flow numbers,from stock off the shelf GM production heads.He loves Ladies,Hemis,L.A.'s,eventually common sense applies....

Oh, and I finally got a pic of a LS oil filter line install. These are -10 lines and it's about 4 1/2" from the bottom of the pan rail to the bottom of the line itself.

Attachments

• SSPX0604.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 1,158
Oh, and I finally got a pic of a LS oil filter line install. These are -10 lines and it's about 4 1/2" from the bottom of the pan rail to the bottom of the line itself.
What is what the fittings on above the ones with the lines?

I hope the OP comes back, this was a cool thread. I have never been into mixing and matching, but that has changed lately. I've seen enough of the same, every-day combos that I've been getting burned out (having adhd doesn't help either--to say my attention span is short is an overwhelming understatement). My Dart Sport will still get an LA 422/340. I got a good deal on it. Before that it was gonna get a 5.7.

I think its an awesome idea to put that LS in the Valiant, and I can't wait to see how it is when its done. My dad purchased an 05' GTO 6.0/6spd new, and I can tell you it was more fun to drive than anything I've ever driven, stock or not. Maybe not faster, quicker, etc etc, but by far more fun. Seemed to pull hard at any speed, any gear. A little too hard sometimes...

And that is what all this is about, in the end. The fun factor. I try to make stuff look original, but thats because its what I like to do. I like what I like, you like what you like, he likes what he likes. I don't like not wanting to drive a car because I'm too worried about hurting something on it, and when you are doing something on a budget, you get worried that you will have to pay for it again when you really didn't have the money the first time. The LS engines in my opinion are awesome engines, who cares about better/worse, etc? I thought this thread was about his build, and his car, and his money. He is showing what he is doing and he is proud of doing it. Ok, enough complaining about the close-minded people out there.

Show us some updates!!

And by the way, my other project, that has been getting more attention than my mopar, is a 1968 Chevy C10 swb stepside. I think that when/if I can, it will get an LS in it.

So what kind of mileage does he get?
I believe he was pulling about 19 before his Aeromotive pump went out. Then on the way back, with the bed fully loaded (including a flat head block) it was down to around 9 or 10. I can ask him again, but I'm pretty sure it was around that.

What is what the fittings on above the ones with the lines?

Well, about them fittings... This particularly fine pan has this fun little block on it that would allow you to run the lines either down or off to the side. The excellent engineering in this piece didn't allow for the fact that the fittings and the plugs run into each other before the threads seal. Fun ensued. What is it I say about swaps never being plug and play?

I hope the OP comes back, this was a cool thread. I have never been into mixing and matching, but that has changed lately. I've seen enough of the same, every-day combos that I've been getting burned out (having adhd doesn't help either--to say my attention span is short is an overwhelming understatement). My Dart Sport will still get an LA 422/340. I got a good deal on it. Before that it was gonna get a 5.7.

I think its an awesome idea to put that LS in the Valiant, and I can't wait to see how it is when its done. My dad purchased an 05' GTO 6.0/6spd new, and I can tell you it was more fun to drive than anything I've ever driven, stock or not. Maybe not faster, quicker, etc etc, but by far more fun. Seemed to pull hard at any speed, any gear. A little too hard sometimes...

And that is what all this is about, in the end. The fun factor. I try to make stuff look original, but thats because its what I like to do. I like what I like, you like what you like, he likes what he likes. I don't like not wanting to drive a car because I'm too worried about hurting something on it, and when you are doing something on a budget, you get worried that you will have to pay for it again when you really didn't have the money the first time. The LS engines in my opinion are awesome engines, who cares about better/worse, etc? I thought this thread was about his build, and his car, and his money. He is showing what he is doing and he is proud of doing it. Ok, enough complaining about the close-minded people out there.

Show us some updates!!

And by the way, my other project, that has been getting more attention than my mopar, is a 1968 Chevy C10 swb stepside. I think that when/if I can, it will get an LS in it.

I think somebody gets it.

Ya might wanna check this guy out for your C10.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/moto...-3l-6-0l-turnkey-engines-starting-1995-a.html

Was hoping,too. Great thread.I live with classics,damn the new stuff makes so much sense,IF the budget allows....

This thing is great and i think i may do this to my duster. Please post more pictures. I cant believe how many negative people there are here though posting stuff. Let keeps this to the gentleman and his build, Not the politics of custom hot rods verse purist tightey whitey cars.

Any updates?

Inkjunkie and fellow lsx enthusiasts! I truly apologize for going m.i.a. for nearly half a year! I was knee deep in this project when life decided to take its course. I've been not only terribly busy with school, but with military stuff, and my personal life as well.

Unfortunately, while I haven't given up on the project, money cannot be currently allocated to the completion of the vehicle at this time. Rest assured however, that in lieu of allocating money I have allocated whatever time I have to research that will help me progress with the vehicle when the money IS available.

I did get a chance to send the dash to be powdercoated. It looks brand new! Currently figuring out exactly what gauges I'm going to go with. :) Looks like simple Automer gauges will do the trick along with a Redline Gaugeworks plastic dash panel insert.

Great to hear its not dead!

I'm sure many of us will be watching closely.

Hey guys, so it's been a long while since I've posted any updates on the car. Figured I'd give you guys an idea of what I'm currently working on.

The dash has been powdercoated semi gloss black and has been bolted into the car. It's just a mock up but it gives a really good idea of how it's gonna look in the car. Currently saving up the cash to put in new electronic gauges (Autometer ultralites). Not sure if I'm gonna go with a nice setup I found on ebay or buy the ABS panel from Redline and piece together the gauges and associated pieces (may be cheaper). Definitely an expensive setup anyway you look at it. However, I want perfectly functioning gauges and since I will be spending a lot of time looking at them (hopefully lol) I want to do it right.

The column has been restored and I'm waiting on the Bryke 3/4" spline to smooth coupler along with the plastic turn signal *thingamagig* that goes at the top of the column before the steering wheel. I've decided to go with a Grant challenger series steering wheel after seeing it in a members car. Thing looks great and for the price it can't be beat.

Here comes the fun stuff...

The exhaust has been one of the more difficult things about this build. Why?
-v8's fit rather snug in these small a bodies
-torsion bars are in the way of the collectors
-the combination of the starter, steering gear, and center link further limit space

All in all it's a very tight fight. Sure I could have a set of long tube headers built from scratch, but the price would be ridiculous. I looked at tons of LSX setups, but none of them have the twists, turns, and bends necessary to fit into this car. They all hit the steering gear or the torsion bars. Simply wont work...unless of course the tubes are cut and reworked, but then the collectors will still hit the torsion bars.

After speaking with my builder he recommended that I go with a coilover setup. Not only to give a modern suspension setup (which is nice I suppose) but also to make the room necessary for the collectors to fit underneath the car. At first I really wanted to go this route. What's not to like right? There are some sponsors on here that have dedicated the time to making a a REALLY nice coilover setup for our cars. However, I simply don't have the coin to drop on such extravagancies lol. With that said I set out to figure out another solution to the exhaust question.

After TONS of online googling I realized: since I can't find a header to work around ALL the twists, turns, and obstacles currently in the way, why not go with a header that someone already developed to go around all these things? The idea seems simple but perhaps I'm simplifying right?

I poked around the boards, saved tons of pics I found online and on here and decided that the best way to see if this would work was to buy a set of my own. These headers aren't generally cheap, especially if you want craftsmanship. I went on craigslist and found a set of Hooker super competition headers for REAL cheap. After some preliminary measuring I'm 95% certain these things will fit with some work. What work? Like I said earlier, the flanges and a portion of the primaries will be cut. Then the number 2 and 3 tube will be evenly spaced out since LSX heads are equally spaced out and mopar heads have the center tubes close together. Since these headers have 1 5/8" primaries and LSX headers come in 1 3/4" (smallest size), my fab guy is gonna have to get down and dirty to build some primaries coming off the flanges that go from 1 3/4" to 1 5/8" right away. I wonder if this will hurt flow at all?

After doing the math, even with the fab work and coating the headers after they are done..if this works I will save major money. I'm looking forward to this guys. I hope it works. I will post up pics of some of the progress as soon as I get a chance!

I guess it all depends on your end power goal-constricting to a 1 5/8 will restrict some. Are you sure you can't reroute them up and over then back down kinda like A body headers normally would go? I know what you're saying about the exhaust pattern being different, but I guess I'd have to see it to wrap my head around it...gotta have a good visual.

-
Back