LSx Valiant Build. Take a look inside...

-
Gill is to expensive to do for most. Plus LS is lots more user friendly and less to modify.

do you remember year/model/motor it came in?

I looked into it and saw a an 82 AMC Eagle 2.4 with a 904, but didn't see anything on there for it.

are the bell housings swappable?
http://www.carparts.com/results/?N=0&Nr=AND(universal:0)&PN=0+7514&VN=4294959959+4294966030+4294961449+4294967027+4294966772&universal=0
Bells are made on the tranny. Amc spirit, concord, some postal jeeps 2 wheel drive, etc. early to mid 80's with a 2.5 then have the 904 built. No different than all the Chinese 451's and other mopar builds and swaps. Keep it mopar..... Yea,lol. Most built mopars out there are 1/4 or more Chinese. LS and mopar,,, good swap imo.

Show the numbers. Is the crate Ls a lot cheaper. This very interesting not that I would do it in my Cuda but for a D100 this would be something I might do. I've seen the chevy guys do Tahoe swaps after they changed intakes and other mods to the engine seems they spent just as much

Last edited:
do you remember year/model/motor it came in?

For readily available sources of the Chevy pattern 904 check www.car-part.com and look up the 1980-1983 AMC Concord, Spirit, with the 2.5L, AT, or the 1982 DJ5L postal jeep as the search parameters.

For example, I turned up 35 of these 904 transmissions using the 1982 Concord/2.5L/AT as the search parameters. The prices ranged from $50-$225 + shipping and core charge.

Try to get the converter and the flexplate. Just like on a TH350/400 you will probably have to use a .400 flexplate spacer as LS engines do not have the extra material on the end of the crankshaft like Gen I&II SB/BB Chevy engines.

The bellhousing is not removable. Here's a picture of the Chevy pattern 904. I posted this picture in the other thread as well.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

GM bolt pattern 904 Torqueflite 1982 jeep amc.jpg

Where is the cost savings. In LS3 over GIII. Is it motor and trans and tuning. Can it be done on stock k member. Seems like most mods are the same. Fuel delivery, headers, kmember. Not putting it down at all but is the difference that big. It's been several years since I did my swap. I know there is a lot more out there for it now and a lot more in the junk yard.
Thanks for being one of the few with an open mind. Most hemis in the junk yard are still way more expensive to buy than an LS. Mods are a lot more too. Mopar ecms are not user friendly. That why guys try and use LS ecms and succeed. If you carb a hemi compare just the manifold cost to an LS. Install, bout the same except exhaust. Again LS is less than hemi,and better fit. I looked at every reasonable way to do a mopar, being a past mopar guy myself. The LS just makes more since to ME in power,mpg, handling and mods for money spent. Not tryin to rain on mopars parade. Just MY opinion and research. I still have trouble with the idea of LS in my 67 cuda,but makes since to me

Show the numbers. Is the crate Ls a lot cheaper. This very interesting not that I would do it in my Cuda but for a D100 this would be something I might do. I've seen the chevy guys do Tahoe swaps after they changed intakes and other mods to the engine seems they spent just as much
No offense but I don't have time to post the numbers as I wasn't doing this for anyone else. It's easy. Go to jegs or summit. Then go to huges or Mancini. Even 440 source and scat. Compare prices. But look at mpg and power made for money spent. I'm not tryin to Win anyone over,it's just me. Btw, LS crate is usually lots less.

That's what I was doing. I already have a well built 6.2 ls3 to go in or I have to build my 440's ,400, or 360. 67 cuda with 318/904. Don't have the money to Build em,so swap in the gm.
LMAO!
Your car your way! It doesn't piss me off or bother me in the least.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still get flack from mopar guys doing a 5.7 in mine. It's funny at car shows, when I open the hood half the people there think it's an ls swap anyhow. To me it's my money if someone wants to complain about what I did I tell them give me your money and I'll do it the way you want. I still haven't gotten a dime from anyone. It's not like you will be banished and lose friends. Do it post just paint the engine compartment same color as car. I have 2001 gmc with 6.0 I've been wanting to put in a dodge truck.

Also, the LSx can fit around the stock suspension components quite nicely. Tight, but doable.
Here's a under car shot of Chris Shawvers 69 LSx Barracuda.

Or, with the money you save by going with a salvaged LSx and not rebuilding a classic Small Block or Big Block mopar engine and not completely rebuilding the OEM front end on your car...you could buy a HemiDenny or AlterKtion rack and pinion front end. This way you can use any number of the very inexpensive ($150 and up) 2010-2015 Camaro stainless LSx headers and still be money ahead at the end of the build. Things to consider.

Chris Shawver LSx 69 Barracuda S10 Headers Torsion Bar Fit.jpg

Also, the LSx can fit around the stock suspension components quite nicely. Tight, but doable.
Here's a under car shot of Chris Shawvers 69 LSx Barracuda.

Or, with the money you save by going with a salvaged LSx and not rebuilding a classic Small Block or Big Block mopar engine and not completely rebuilding the OEM front end on your car...you could buy a HemiDenny or AlterKtion rack and pinion front end. This way you can use any number of the very inexpensive ($150 and up) 2010-2015 Camaro stainless LSx headers and still be money ahead at the end of the build. Things to consider.

View attachment 1715061264
True. I also heard that LS to s-10 swap headers fit well. I got a 585hp LS3 that's built or I'd have to build my mopars. So I'll use what I got. With the power,mpg, and handling ( it's aluminum) it otta be worth the price of admission. We'll see. 67 cuda LS. I can here the purists already...

Not $700 on TTI. And that was 7 years ago. Here's roughly what I spent. 700 headers. $2500 04 truck motor/tranny. $75 ECM. 1200 harness. $700 headers. $800 fuel tank and pump. $250 oil pan. $4000 alterkation front end. $140 radiator. $75 fan/shroud. $250 for SRT intake adapters. $50 SRT8 intake.(great deal right place right time) $175 pedal. $175. Throttle body. Holy crap that's a lot haven't. Added up in along time. That is not all the small things I under $25 that add up. .

True. I also heard that LS to s-10 swap headers fit well. I got a 585hp LS3 that's built or I'd have to build my mopars. So I'll use what I got. With the power,mpg, and handling ( it's aluminum) it otta be worth the price of admission. We'll see. 67 cuda LS. I can here the purists already...
After reading the last round of worthy replies, and not the childish insulting attempts....

It makes dollar and sense to go this route. I most absolutely agree about the;

Ease of computer tuning. It seems that Ma MoPar makes it difficult on purpose.

Expense wise, the LS is a good bit more affordable in aftermarket parts. While you may loose ground on a few weird items, in the end, I think you'll be happier since your doing the car your way.

Not $700 on TTI. And that was 7 years ago. Here's roughly what I spent. 700 headers. $2500 04 truck motor/tranny. $75 ECM. 1200 harness. $700 headers. $800 fuel tank and pump. $250 oil pan. $4000 alterkation front end. $140 radiator. $75 fan/shroud. $250 for SRT intake adapters. $50 SRT8 intake.(great deal right place right time) $175 pedal. $175. Throttle body. Holy crap that's a lot haven't. Added up in along time. That is not all the small things I under $25 that add up. .
You thought out you build,but still with that the LS is less. Don't have to do k member. LS harness is less,headers are less,etc. Then if you want to modify, it's less. I'm not tryin to step on anyone's toes, but there are others with my same interest. If I get flamed, I'll flame back. I won't go away.

LMAO, it allways gets pricey no matter what.

Thank you Logan.

A lot gets lost in type. As I said before, a LS swap is something I would not do but I do not fault anyone in doing what they want to do to there car.

Your car your way! It is after all, your car and your money that is hard earned so spend it as you see fit.

Best of luck with your project Logan.

If anyone is looking for one of those chevy bolt pattern 904s, I have a rebuilt one I'd sell....PM if interested

Thank you Logan.

A lot gets lost in type. As I said before, a LS swap is something I would not do but I do not fault anyone in doing what they want to do to there car.

Your car your way! It is after all, your car and your money that is hard earned so spend it as you see fit.

Best of luck with your project Logan.
I'm still waiting for that long tube cross ram you are gonna give me for my project to hack up

LMAO, thanks, a true giggle on that one.

Funny thing is, I'm waiting on you to see your own fab work on creating a cross ram for the modern engine.

That my dear Sir, would be awesome!

Cuda620 do it and make a build page. I will definitely follow it. I think it could be done half the cost with some big hp gains a lot cheaper from what I just looked at on the LS sites. Do the 8.8 swap too that's what I did $230 and disc brakes. 373 limited slip try building an 8 3/4 for an Abody with that money.

Cuda620 do it and make a build page. I will definitely follow it. I think it could be done half the cost with some big hp gains a lot cheaper from what I just looked at on the LS sites. Do the 8.8 swap too that's what I did $230 and disc brakes. 373 limited slip try building an 8 3/4 for an Abody with that money.
No way on the 8.75. I have a Dana 60 small tube I was thinking about but I'd like to know how you accomplished the 8.8? I have access to an 8.8 from a explorer, 3:73 and posi with discs. How much power do they hold? I'm not sure how to create a build page. I assume I just start a post and apply pictures?

No way on the 8.75. I have a Dana 60 small tube I was thinking about but I'd like to know how you accomplished the 8.8? I have access to an 8.8 from a explorer, 3:73 and posi with discs. How much power do they hold? I'm not sure how to create a build page. I assume I just start a post and apply pictures?

There is a 8.8 thread here. You may gain some insight and a few facts from that thread worthy of some second thought. But a DANA is stronger and the final word I think. Or a Ford 9.

I have some pics on the 8.8 thread I have read cars running up to 1200 rwhp on them. Not as strong as Dana. I cut the driver side tube down 2 3/4 inches but have heard I could have just dropped it in pretty much. Get a shorter passenger axle if you cut it.

Last edited:
-
Back