Making power out of the 318

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
And the Hemi NA is less than spectacular. Far from it.
The Hemi was way under cammed and the 440 was under headed and under cammed.
In my mind the 340 and Roadrunner 383 were the only true performance engines . They were perfect for their cubic inch displacement.

What % of "kids" under 30 (40?) don't want a Toyota or Honda!?
30 or 40 months s not a kid. LMAO!
A stock 318 AND360 are simply gas sucking people transporters. Anything more requires some $$ and a roadmap (blueprint) that works.
Gas sucking by today’s standards! Fo-Sure!
I did get 20 Hwy w/2.76 gears on 235/50/15’s in my ‘79 Magnum.
No headers, just a decent tune and dual exhaust/a Carter 600, MP distributor and 2-1/4 dual exhaust with some turbo mufflers, as the non stick items only.
I have news for everyone here. Chrysler, pre-gen3 hemi, only ever made one actual performance engine for passenger cars. And it's not a small block. And it's not a 440 either.
Dreaming a nightmare I see.
Hemi. Full stop.
When it was an OEM, the production line, stock, it sucked.
I love small blocks but they weren't performance engines "from the factory"
Yes they were!
. Head flow was abysmal,
Doesn’t mean crap. 50 years plus years from now, they’ll be saying the same **** about the modern LS/HEMI & Coyote engines.
They had hydraulic cans
Nothing wrong with Hyd cams
with non-adjustable valvetrain,
Big deal! Though the rockers sucked!
two bolt mains,
Doesn’t mean crap
cast pistons,
People can go pretty far with cast pistons
low compression,
In later years due to government emissions

on and on. They were designed for reliable passenger car transportation.
That’s where the came from…. SO what
I think I just have a different set of criteria regarding what constitutes a performance engine.
Yours is more along the line of a race engine
I think of an engine designed with racing/high performance in mind, from the outset.

To me the hemi was the only engine that met these criteria, and that was because it was designed as a racing engine first, and a passenger car engine second. Just my opinion. I know many of you won't agree or are too brand loyal to see it.
I agree with that BUT since it was a detuned race engine, it really sucked ***.

I know that it's not a important part of what the op is doing. I just simply stated something that at one time or another would have to be looked into. I thought that the idea was to point out different things that would have to be done. junkyardhero made some very good points and I respect him for that
It's clear you are The Guy who does not have a car, but walks around the car cruise or show and tells everyone what they should or should not have done.
Carry on.
Did you buy that car?

It's clear you are The Guy who does not have a car, but walks around the car cruise or show and tells everyone what they should or should not have done.
Carry on.
Did you buy that car?
I don't go around anywhere telling anyone what to do or not do with their car's.

I don't go around anywhere telling anyone what to do or not do with their car's.
You have clearly posted you have. Even stated you did not know what you were doing but gave advise anyway, and got lucky since it fixed his car.
Go read your past post.
Also your advise to was the 1050 carb and intake was wrong as it just needed tuning. Something you and him could not do.
So you were wrong and cost the guy money as well.
It also proves my point.

Obviously each can have their own interpretation of what performance is but yours is pretty limiting, Hemi was more of a race engine in a production car, to me performance is when you have an excess of power more than what's needed to do everyday driving, where the line of peppy to performance car is ?
I have an old Toyota Corolla for a commuter. Love that little car. It has a **** ton of miles on it and still drives like new. I'm sure it would go 100 mph. More than enough for everyday driving. Performance car?

You have clearly posted you have. Even stated you did not know what you were doing but gave advise anyway, and got lucky since it fixed his car.
Go read your past post.
Also your advise to was the 1050 carb and intake was wrong as it just needed tuning. Something you and him could not do.
It also proves my point.

He has a point Dan.

I have an old Toyota Corolla for a commuter. Love that little car. It has a **** ton of miles on it and still drives like new. I'm sure it would go 100 mph. More than enough for everyday driving. Performance car?
Generally performance is measured how fast you can get to say 100 mph.

Go read your past post.
It also proves my point.
The person asked me what I would do, I didn't approach him about his car. Back then I probably couldn't tune, I can now

Go read your past post.
It also proves my point.
I didn't cost the guy any money, I didn't force him to buy anything so you can get off that kick

I farted.

Oops. Wait a minute. I mean I sharted.

He has a point Dan.
I know, but I was a lot younger than. Going by what you all have been saying I'm thinking that I just won't help or advise anybody again even if there's a chance that I could be helpful that way I won't have to worry about if I did the right thing or not.

I didn't cost the guy any money, I didn't force him to buy anything so you can get off that kick
Please post the info where they give away new free aftermarket high performace auto parts.
The rest of would like some too.

So, should we start a thread bout picking a cam for 318s? this thread kinda went off the rails bad anyway.. :)

This is a cop out as we used to say. If you suggested a course of action via even a “What would you do if it was yours,” then the questioner could have blindly followed your words, advice for him or not.
I know, but I was a lot younger than. Going by what you all have been saying I'm thinking that I just won't help or advise anybody again even if there's a chance that I could be helpful that way I won't have to worry about if I did the right thing or not.
The thing is, the words you write show your absolute non experience and zero expertise in most matters while following the crowd of ridiculous ideas.

Just because someone out there can tune a 1050 Dominator on a stock 318 doesn’t mean it’s a good idea but yet people bring it up as if it is an easy kill. Suggestions and thought processes like this are basically insane and should be seen as the exception to the rule rather than any thing else reasonable.

In your last PM to me I said there are many thought patterns to the same route and end goal. Some good, some not so good, goal dependent. You simply parrot the popular and sometimes absurd while not fully knowing what you are saying while saying like you know what your saying.

So, should we start a thread bout picking a cam for 318s? this thread kinda went off the rails bad anyway
Use a 1968 340 4 Speed cam. Ask who has one that is 100 percent like it was ground off a master.
20 pages later.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back