Making power out of the 318

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Generally performance is measured how fast you can get to say 100 mph.
I agree. A lot of people start there.
Not all of us stay there.
When I started going to the track, I quickly decided ET, MPH in the traps was how I wsa going to evaluate high performance.
Reality over many autocrosses and of course years of street driving, evolved into much more interest in torque off the corners.
Road course same thing except more so.

[/URL]

Search gets me 17 pages of threads using "318 cam" and most end up a pissin match in the end. :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

I don’t bother recommending cams. For a long time now. It’s not the pissing matches that idk me but it’s ether splitting of hairs on similar cam specs or its wildly different and sometimes absurd cam recommendations.

Now, if asked, directly or via a thread, it’s just a general recommendation. Everyone thinks there a cam guru and points mostly to other people’s achievements and mark it as if written in stone.

A GREAT member always makes one super exceptional recommendation, I e grown to love it myself, so I’m going to repeat it here, your nasty cam, no matter what your trying to do should undoubtedly be a;

.750 solid roller!!!!!

It’s true! One size fits all!!!!!

This is a cop out as we used to say. If you suggested a course of action via even a “What would you do if it was yours,” then the questioner could have blindly followed your words, advice for him or not.

The thing is, the words you write show your absolute non experience and zero expertise in most matters while following the crowd of ridiculous ideas.

Just because someone out there can tune a 1050 Dominator on a stock 318 doesn’t mean it’s a good idea but yet people bring it up as if it is an easy kill. Suggestions and thought processes like this are basically insane and should be seen as the exception to the rule rather than any thing else reasonable.

In your last PM to me I said there are many thought patterns to the same route and end goal. Some good, some not so good, goal dependent. You simply parrot the popular and sometimes absurd while not fully knowing what you are saying while saying like you know what your saying.
I thought the tunnel ram on the 318 was far more interesting.
Just proves it can be done, and done well.

Last edited:
Was joking.. i just wanted to see if this thread could go back to the original topic :)

BTW... you choose cam by the sound and cool name... "Whiplash!" "Thumper!" only the best cams have names :)

Seriously though... i always hear guys talking bout how good they sound but never how they run... it's weird

I thought the tunnel ram on the 318 was far more interesting.
Not a 318, but it is a tunnel ram….

IMG_2058.jpeg

More carbs just seems like more hassle... A single predator is all you need....

BTW... you 318 haters... this debate has been settled years ago...
P.S. don't watch his last couple of videos :(

That's another rabbit hole. What size, what brand, how many? Banging my head again. :BangHead: :BangHead:
no rabbit hole... everyone knows the Quadrajet is the only choice.. it's one of the things GM/rochester got right.

More carbs just seems like more hassle...

hassle for some, is for others fun ;)

1709906984026.png

Also helped it meet the participation requirement for Lemons
(scroll to bottom for videos)
Side note: Carb tuning had guidance from a very knowledgable and helpful Tuner I highly respect.

Last edited:
no rabbit hole... everyone knows the Quadrajet is the only choice.. it's one of the things GM/rochester got right.
I ran Q jets for 25 years on my 454 powered tool trucks. They were good carbs. Steady 6 mpg/Hwy. :thumbsup: :lol:

Not gonna lie.. if one fell into my lap for next to nothing i would run it.... and feel cool as hell :)

BTW.. Lemons required multiple carbs?
The car concept or theme had to be something stupid, crazy, or otherwise humorous. That may have slipped in more recent years.

BTW... 318 beating a hellcat... $100 vs. $100k..

Hmmmm. Lighter than I thought it would be. How did you get it so light?
I started out with a 16 footer. I moved into a used 18 footer mid career. That's before the cab and chassis craze. These were all step vans. Back then. very few dealers ran anything bigger than a 18 footer. The medium duty trucks usually had 366's or 427's and had 22.5 tires and the like. The lighter trucks like I ran had 19.5 tires. Basically a Motor home chassis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back