Making power out of the 318

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cause everyone thinks their level of compromises is the right ones for everybody.

I seriously shoulda went with a rv 440.. they are sooo cheap.. but every single old b-body has that. Might as well be a nova with a LS

Ode to the mighty 340. lol
If you have a 318 build it. They can make decent power with the same mods as the 340.
Now if I'm going out looking for a builder engine, it will at least have a 4.25" bore.:D

Sorry, but there's no free ride. I'm going to tell you why I said that I didn't cost him any money what so ever and hopefully you'll be able to understand it, he asked me what I would do if it was my car and I told him. Just because I said what I would do doesn't mean that he has to go out and buy it, he has his own mind. The choice of buying a different carb / intake was totally on him.
Again you prove my point thanks.
He spent money on a new intake and carb based on your advise.
He took you advise since you made an opinion and he assumed you were an expert.
Sadly he knows less than you.
And you stated it cost him nothing?
So where can the rest of us get a free intake, carb and fuel lines?
Come on man share.

If you have the 318 build it
Now if you stroke the 400 then you got something special at the same weight add spray you are over 600

Another reason to build a 318 is because it fits in the rules. Or fits into the rules and cost-benefit better than other options - like a 305.
@CPDave has covered that in his posts about the SVRA legal ZebraDart.
That's 360 HP at the wheels and plenty of torque to come off the corners, and most important - it meets the rules.

Another reason to build small displacement is if you want rpm, especially at moderate hp levels and want to run reasonable heads. Lots easier to feed a 7500 rpm 273 than a 543 or even a 360.

Sorry, but there's no free ride. I'm going to tell you why I said that I didn't cost him any money what so ever and hopefully you'll be able to understand it, he asked me what I would do if it was my car and I told him. Just because I said what I would do doesn't mean that he has to go out and buy it, he has his own mind. The choice of buying a different carb / intake was totally on him.
well it's a good thing you didn't tell him to go jump off a bridge then, eh?

He spent money on a new intake and carb

He spent money on a new intake and carb based on your advise.
He took you advise since you made an opinion and he assumed you were an expert.
Sadly he knows less than you.
And you stated it cost him nothing?
So where can the rest of us get a free intake, carb and fuel lines?
Come on man share.
At the end of the day it was his choice rather to buy a different carb / intake. I never said go buy something different. He was complaining about how bad his car was running and he asked me what I thought and I told him. The 1050 carb is a competition carb, this car was a daily driver with a trip down the track once in awhile, I have no idea what cam,stall, or gears he had and I don't care. I'm sure that you guys have gave advise on what a problem was with someone's car and if they take the advise or not. Don't mean to sound rude but you guys like to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Mopar joe actually weighed a alum headed 400 vs a ironhead 360 and the 400 was lighter...

Yes but this guy fails to mention as seen in the video the big block is missing the alternator, brackets and crank pulley that the small block has!

At the end of the day it was his choice rather to buy a different carb / intake. I never said go buy something different. He was complaining about how bad his car was running and he asked me what I thought and I told him. The 1050 carb is a competition carb, this car was a daily driver with a trip down the track once in awhile, I have no idea what cam,stall, or gears he had and I don't care I'm sure that you guys have gave advise on what a problem was with someone's car and if they take the advise or not. Don't mean to sound rude but you guys like to make a mountain out of a mole hill.
And again you prove my point.
How can you recommend anything without this info?

And again you prove my point.
How can you recommend anything without this info?
Well, that's rather easy actually. Going by the way it idled, I would say that it had a mild cam. While the 1050 can be tuned, the single plane intake is not for a daily driver as most of you guys have said.

At the end of the day it was his choice rather to buy a different carb / intake. I never said go buy something different. He was complaining about how bad his car was running and he asked me what I thought and I told him. The 1050 carb is a competition carb, this car was a daily driver with a trip down the track once in awhile, I have no idea what cam,stall, or gears he had and I don't care. I'm sure that you guys have gave advise on what a problem was with someone's car and if they take the advise or not. Don't mean to sound rude but you guys like to make a mountain out of a mole hill.
You need that info to give a recommendation
If you dont care dont respond
come on now

You need that info to give a recommendation
If you dont care dont respond
come on now
If you have been following along on this fiasco, then you would know that I went by what the owner said. Like I already said, I believe he was running a mild cam, headers, the 1050 carb, single plane intake manifold. I truly believe that he put in a small cam, headers, the single plane intake and the 1050 and he thought that he had a race car. I only said that I didn't care because I'm tired of guys making this a big ordeal. I already know that a single plane intake is not for a mild build of any kind. And it's been said on here many times that a bigger carburetor, cam, what ever is not always the best way to go. I made a suggestion from what information that the owner provided and from the reading I've done and helping others with their car's. What I think the main issue is here is that I was right in what I had suggested to the guy and a few on here dont like the idea of someone with less experience than they have was right in what they recommend for the guy to do in order to get his car to run better.

I didn't bother with reading all 24 pages of this thread, but did the OP ever really get his original question answered? Was he ever given any good information? I don't see why his question couldn't have been answered in 6 pages or less. I know that some here had to bring up the roadrunner fiasco and I should've responded to that cluster either.

If you have been following along on this fiasco, then you would know that I went by what the owner said. Like I already said, I believe he was running a mild cam, headers, the 1050 carb, single plane intake manifold. I truly believe that he put in a small cam, headers, the single plane intake and the 1050 and he thought that he had a race car. I only said that I didn't care because I'm tired of guys making this a big ordeal. I already know that a single plane intake is not for a mild build of any kind. And it's been said on here many times that a bigger carburetor, cam, what ever is not always the best way to go. I made a suggestion from what information that the owner provided and from the reading I've done and helping others with their car's. What I think the main issue is here is that I was right in what I had suggested to the guy and a few on here dont like the idea of someone with less experience than they have was right in what they recommend for the guy to do in order to get his car to run better.
You still don't have a clue. And don't know you were wrong but think you were right.
Carry on.
Did you look at that mystery car at a dealer yet?

You still don't have a clue. And don't know you were wrong but think you were right.
Carry on.
Did you look at that mystery car at a dealer yet?
I have clue, it's a boring game just like this topic is. From what the owner of the car said about how much better his car ran I'd say that I was right. You can't seem to accept the fact that someone other than yourself can / could be right about something. As I said before I was going by what the owner said about his car, the reading I've done and helping others with their car's. FYI, it's not a mystery car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back