Max A/C kills engine

-

Norton9369

Reaction score
Re charged my a/c system for the first time since I got the car ('74 Duster 5.2). It has been converted over to the new a/c. My problem is that when I turn on max a/c it stall out the engine. I checked the belts and the alt is charging with out issue. any help would be great.

That's a tough one. All oe controls? Max air is a blend setting. It closes off the air intake from the outside and just recirculates inside air.

Weird, you might try unplugging the compressor wire so just the fan runs when on max and see what happens.

If you are using the OE box and controls. You might have a vac leak with the hose circuits that operate the Max AC selection. Either at the control box or the actuator.. Might be a bad actuator at the blend door. Have you tried idling the car higher and tried Max AC? Does the blend door on the right side of the box move up to close off the outside air? If not, remove the vac hose from it and cap it. Try again, does car die? if so issue is further up, bad hose or control box.

What do you have for cam / timing / carburetion, and setup? EG an engine idling too lean will have very little low end power

Make sure you are not missing something IE an oddball problem like a SHORTED clutch circuit on the compressor could be drawing down electrical.

SUSPECT you might be overcharged or some other problem (metering device? IE TXV or orifice) and "slugging" the compressor. If the compressor is getting liquid, it won't be long for this world

-
Back