Meet the Beast!! 10's on 5k???

-
throwing out random thoughts
recently i sourced a ford exploder and took the rearend and leaf springs and hangars.
this ended up fitting almost perfectly into an M body mopar.
it is an 8.8 and has 3:73 gears with limited slip.
these rears arent too bad if a little work is done on them...?
esp if you get 2 of them and make one,and they are everywheres in junkyards.
in my case,i bought 2 junkers and stripped them and then scrapped them for my money back plus some.

the a body 8-3/4 shown above tho...wow.
who woulda thought that would fit so perfectly? esp with the big tires wheels on it.
ty for sharing that @68dodge and btw Nice Truck !
what do you run for power and what does it run ??

as far as the late model rears go,the pinion bearings/crush are always going out on those.
use a spacer kit if you go that way to eliminate the crush.

recently i sourced a ford exploder and took the rearend and leaf springs and hangars.
in my case,i bought 2 junkers and stripped them and then scrapped them for my money back plus some.

who woulda thought that would fit so perfectly? esp with the big tires wheels on it.

as far as the late model rears go,the pinion bearings/crush are always going out on those.
yes, exploring the 8.8 option as well. However, I think I can get a 875 '71-74 B-body as cheap and that would keep it all mopar.... but keeping all options on the table.

Truck has a 505 in it, best so far was 11.30s. Made some changes since then, even changed the strut rods since this picture. Have to see if its any better this spring.

t68.JPG

Somehow I think you're a little over five grand?..
Never said it was built with 5000. Just giving some advice and answering some questions. If what I have learned can help someone else thats great. I have a lot of time making this truck sit low and work right down the track.

Never said it was built with 5000. Just giving some advice and answering some questions. If what I have learned can help someone else thats great. I have a lot of time making this truck sit low and work right down the track.
I appreciate it!!
:thumbsup:

Ok, slight disappointment. Print under the hood said 3.55 gears, but changing the rear end grease and they are 2.71's. Somebody swapped them out. Bummer, LOL

DSCN2724.JPG

thats alright you wanted 4:10s or 4:56 anyways didnt you??
btw,what rear do you have now,the 8-1/4?
those can be redone using a spacer instead of crush sleeves and hold up Very well too.
new gears are around 200 on ebay.
posi/limited slip chunks can be had out of dodge durangos dirt cheap.
almost all are 3:55....just use the chunk and install your gears and Axles from the truck rear.
check the glovebox for the codes.

eventually, 3.91's or 4.10's yes. However, for this year we were hoping to have some fun with the 5.9 mag and 3.55's. LOL. Even 3.21's, but 2.71's in a truck? Ummm, yeah, we'll be doing something about that :D

If you are going to work on suspension/traction, the 4.10 would be a good thing right now.
I say 4.10 because you are probable gonna want a tall tire 29" or 30

Because believe me the traction difference between a warmed over 440 is a different animal than a 5.9. LOL

Because believe me the traction difference between a warmed over 440 is a different animal than a 5.9. LOL
exactly. If I can't hook up with the 5.9, then forget the 440. That's why I said we'll use the 5.9 to get the truck to work.

btw,what rear do you have now,the 8-1/4?
those can be redone using a spacer instead of crush sleeves and hold up Very well too.
new gears are around 200 on ebay.
posi/limited slip chunks can be had out of dodge durangos dirt cheap.
almost all are 3:55....just use the chunk and install your gears and Axles from the truck rear.
check the glovebox for the codes.
I missed this post. Yes, it's currently a 8.25. Plan was to swap it, but not till next year. code was 3.55's from the factory. Enough of these D150's being parted, I'll land something. Or, perhaps I'll just install the 8.75 earlier than planned

Sounds like you might be 15K into finding out how to do this for 5K LOL...
If I keep selling things off the 5.9, it will end up being free! already got half my money back, and more to sale :D

Ohhh my God you aren’t putting Quaker Sludge oil in there are you. Paraffin oils suck.
Assortment.... some day we'll get them all on the same page :D
  • Both Dusters - VR-1 10w30
  • '06 'stang - mobil 1
  • the other 5 vehicles - QS - and if flat tappet - zinc additive
Oil conversations are spark plug conversations.... LOL My '01 Ram has been on QS for years and it's over 273, *** miles and purring like a kitten. Gets it's oil changed about every 5k miles. Started last year when it was -38 below F actual temp without a lifter tick. :)

Last edited:
be warmer today... hopefully get some pressure washing done....

I thought Quaker is horse and buggy guys that know nothng of oil!??? Or did they invent Penns Oil also!??? lol
One time my brother bought a '86 turbo Chrysler with a 196,XXXX miles off a guy at work. Sealing a leak on the pan, he decided to pull a rod cap off. The bearing looked to be new. He went back to the guy that had owned it all those years and said "you didn't tell me that you rebuilt the motor". The guy said "I didn't, just changed my oil". When asked what oil, the guy replied "Quaker State". Again, my truck has 273,*** and not a tick in the motor no matter how cold. Like I said, it's a spark plug conversation - everyone has their reasons and stories and find it necessary to bash what somebody else uses... LOL. I believe Valvoline, QS, Castrol, Kendall, Mobil, or any other major brand of oil will provide great service and protection. I use QS because of it's availability at every gas station, hardware store or Walmart.

-
Back