Mild 360 Magnum Build

-
Lots of interesting piston information you are sharing, the ones I ordered look to be stock knock offs in 30 over... just want to be able to fill the tank with 87 and I will try to make 375hp in the very low 5000rpm range
Seems doable.. the 87 requirement is going to need some attention and I'd surely work for quench as suggested to help get there. At least you are starting out with the right chamber type. Any closed chamber helps to get the burn completed more quickly, and the faster the overall burn time, the less chance of getting to a detonation point.

BTW, I see your online name has 'autocross' in it. I try to not go on too boringly long, but if that is one of the uses, better CR will help your torque range be wider, and that is ALWAYS a VERY important thing to have for any autocross, road race or rally type of use..... You will need an engine to put out good torque at a wide variety of RPM ranges as you will encounter all sorts of curve radii and exit speeds. If that is one of the uses, a wide torque band is far more important than peak HP numbers, and should govern CR and cam selection to maximize DCR.

This build is a detune engine for my 69 Valiant from the current one, I want to make the car 100% street drivable...as in turn the key and drive it across Canada with the AC on, be able to pull up to the gas pump in Dog River Saskatchewan and not worry about them not having premium.
Even my 375 HP requirement is just a number that I pulled out of my *** that I would like to see on the Dyno...even if it only makes 300 HP its still going in the car.
If it does see any autocross action it will because I put a hitch on it and used it to tow my Dart to the track...

Valiant.jpg

Gotcha... sounds good! Using 87 at 10:1 CR is a challenge. My old 10+ CR 351C was used for street racing, hard mountain road driving, towing, DD, everything, with 18-19 mpg highway. It was a very flexible engine, and both the CR and good breathing were the basis for that. But it needed 93 premium. It was just beyond my skills at the time to tune/de-tune for 87. (I did try....)

Last edited:
Gotcha... sounds good!
I just have to make up my mind if I go automatic or put a stick...leaning towards doing a Passon 833 Hemi 4 speed overdrive with 3.23 gears...that reminds me that I have to make sure the crank is drilled for the bushing

What the Hell ! Are you storing your car in the garage of the abandoned house down the street ?
Where is all your crap ?!!!

I have a 900 sq ft garage and can barely walk thru it...

What the Hell ! Are you storing your car in the garage of the abandoned house down the street ?
Where is all your crap ?!!!

I have a 900 sq ft garage and can barely walk thru it...
It was just one of those rare days the garage was clean.... I just sold that house that garage was attached to last month

come on now, you know she's not going anywhere. how many times have you slept on the couch. lol
LMAO! You are correct and the couch, never!
She happens to be into cars as well. Helps
Me build engines, find parts, etc....
Also owns a bitchin ‘67 Cuda.

340 4 sp Swinger.

I just have too many hobbies !
Cars..dirtbikes..hockey...hunting..camping.. and they all require stuff !
Our HOA forbids outbuildings otherwise I would build a little shed for lawn and garden crap as well as a few tires etc..

Of course once I get around to "storing" that 5.9 in the engine bay of my 68 Barracuda and the 408 in the engine bay of my Swinger ... as well as all the other boxes of parts for the Swinger I will have a lot more room.

340 4 sp Swinger.

I just have too many hobbies !
Cars..dirtbikes..hockey...hunting..camping.. and they all require stuff !
Our HOA forbids outbuildings otherwise I would build a little shed for lawn and garden crap as well as a few tires etc..
I have had up to 10 bikes at the same time.... right now I only have 3 ... things are on a down turn

My garage has a couple of cars and a lotta tools and junk.
So, I put stuff in my closet. Now that’s full, so I put my spare heads under my bes, now that full. So I took 4 out of 7 blocks and shoved them under a table in the back porch. The last engine is on a almost built engine test run stand on the back patio.

Glad I have a little room left over!

-
Back