Mild 360 Magnum Build

-
Boooo
Kidding hopefully you got what it’s worth. Ask him to keep you updated on how it runs in the car so you can let us know.
Sold it for $6000 Canadian (approx $4750us)

Just like the hp the selling price is just a number. If you and the buyer are happy then it’s a good price. I’d say you did well.
I might have broke even on it …but the guy bought a bunch of other stuff at the same time from me so it’s good…honestly while it’s fun to build something a bit different like this for my own entertainment…I would advise anyone wanting a sbm under 500hp to get one from blueprint

What are the numbers SAE Corrected?
That’s a good question that likely someone else may have a formula for …I certainly don’t…. But my thought is it could be almost the same as on the dyno if you put the engine in a car with no accessories other than an alternator and electric water pump… maybe down 10-15hp….my gut feeling is this 360 magnum could shove a lighter A body into the 12’s with a 2.76 gears

well done!I'm surprised.
...superior to Mopar's 380 hp 360 crate engine with a smaller cam?

Not really the crate does 410 hp too just takes 300 rpm higher with more cam and less head flow, 67autocross is the better way to go with airflow more streetable.
upload_2021-6-22_18-50-52-jpeg.jpg

I likely could have pushed another 10 horse out of it…was on the dyno about a 1/2 hour and 5 pulls…more timing, carb jetting and I forgot to bring engine oil so we tossed some 20-50 in it…probably would have done better with 5-30…it would be interesting to run against the Mopar crate at the track to see what the difference is

I likely could have pushed another 10 horse out of it…was on the dyno about a 1/2 hour and 5 pulls…more timing, carb jetting and I forgot to bring engine oil so we tossed some 20-50 in it…probably would have done better with 5-30…it would be interesting to run against the Mopar crate at the track to see what the difference is

You got a better under the curve, the only thing impressive about the crate is its basically a cam in a stock engine,I'm changing the cam and intake on my crate engine to a china air gap and comp roller very similar to your specs, looking for more of a driver, later way down the road, I want to port the heads or go with trick flows.

You should talk to J.Rob about the cam choice he has a good handle on these magnums…I don’t blame you for using the knock-off air gap I used an Edie one and it was $550 Canadian…I asked the local machine shop about trick flow heads last week and they are thinking January before they see any…

It does seem a bit hard to get any aluminum for production. Waves of havoc left over from trade wars?
WTH?!?!

It does seem a bit hard to get any aluminum for production. Waves of havoc left over from trade wars?
WTH?!?!
I'm not going to get into my thoughts on trade wars but why start a war you can't win....the shop sells a ton of pro-max heads and even those are months out...plus I have been privy to at least a dozen small block builds and the numbers they dyno at with pro-max heads...so would like to do a trick flow build to compare...

I'm not going to get into my thoughts on trade wars but why start a war you can't win....the shop sells a ton of pro-max heads and even those are months out...plus I have been privy to at least a dozen small block builds and the numbers they dyno at with pro-max heads...so would like to do a trick flow build to compare...
I’d love to run through the paper work on those builds!

I’d love to run through the paper work on those builds!
The pro max shockers seem to go anywhere from 480hp on a stock stroke 360 with a 600 lift cam at 10.5 comp…. One recently went 600hp at 408 inch’s 650 lift solid roller at 12:1….you should back to my other post on here the free cam build one and give some input….maybe I will Reg rind the free cam….

@67autocross your in box is full

Well then! Since I’m about to swap out my regular RPM heads for the shockers I got……
It’s mild Hyd cam in a 10.5-1 - 340. XE285HL moved to a 108 instead of a 110. If it makes 430/430 with the ported CNC heads, I’d be OK with that. IDK if that’s optimistic or not. But it works in the rpm range I’m after.

Last edited:
I think you will hit the numbers with the shockers and the cam at around 5500 or so rpm...I was witness to the shockers on the flow bench the same day i did my EQs and they went into the 270's at 500 lift

I certainly wouldn't mind if you reported on all of them. When do you think results will be in for them? J.Rob
The 408 Chevy went 580hp…I will get a dyno sheet and specs

@67autocross your in box is full

Well then! Since I’m about to swap out my regular RPM heads for the shockers I got……
It’s mild Hyd cam in a 10.5-1 - 340. XE285HL moved to a 108 instead of a 110. If it makes 430/430 with the ported CNC heads, I’d be OK with that. IDK if that’s optimistic or not. But it works in the rpm range I’m after.

I was at the machine shop today and they said that one set of promax shocker small block heads were available from their supplier today…so I told them to order them for me…

Nice! I just put a set on the 340 today but ran out of daylight to finish up. Tomorrow… in the 80’s and lots-O-Sunshine foecatsed! Yea baby!

Negative, It is in the car now. I just figured I’d like an engine to have now in the Duster to play around with until I get the serious engine together. I still have a (very) small list of (expensive) parts to be purchased.

For this 340 engine it was a cam, hone job, slugs, balancing, bearings and gaskets. I had everything else on a shelf. The headers came from my engine test run stand. Total spent on new parts above and work done to an assembled engine was about a grand.

I could do 2 engines more like this but I’m after something else right now. I also don’t have 2 more cars to put them into! LMAO! I’ll tell ya what I’d like to do in my retirement! Dyno some of this garbage for fun with the various intakes and cams I have on hand.

(Spell check corrections)

Last edited:
Cool…. I’ll see what I put the shockers on… most likely something over 400 inches… now the hunt for an intake begins

Cool…. I’ll see what I put the shockers on… most likely something over 400 inches… now the hunt for an intake begins
Do you know if they have any results with the standard 171 version of the ProMaxx? It's not far behind the Shocker for peak flow, about 30 cfm. I've got a set and I'm trying to decide if I send them out for the Shocker treatment or just use as-is.

Do you know if they have any results with the standard 171 version of the ProMaxx? It's not far behind the Shocker for peak flow, about 30 cfm. I've got a set and I'm trying to decide if I send them out for the Shocker treatment or just use as-is.
I witnessed the shockers on the bench getting flowed up to 500 lift and they flowed very close to advertised...so I would assume that the standard Promaxx heads flow as advertised...currently the shop has no small block Promaxx heads in stock...

-
Back