Mild LA 318 Cam Recommendations from Those Who Know

-
The Hughes Whiplash #SMC1326AL that I spoke of earlier I would consider a poser cam, It sounds nastier than it really is by design. @Torqueflite, it might not be the one for you especially if you don't want .500 lift and a aggressive idle. I would imagine at your altitude you need to be careful with going too big. Here's a couple videos.
Engine idle at 9.17
Sounds good getting after it from the start of this video.
This teen sounds angry if you like that.

I myself am running a monstrous eighties vintage sealed power stock replacement TM77 right now with .386/.406 196/214 on a 109 right now, retarded three degrees. With 10:1, Holley street dominator, and headers, it blows the stock size tires off at will and still pulls hard to 5500 rpm. My takeaway from it is that it’s almost impossible to under cam a 318.

Last edited:
the vehicle doesn't weigh anything. It's not getting a big stall converter or any stall converter Beyond stock or maybe HP stock it sounds like .It doesn't need to turn high RPMs. However some head porting will require some extra lift to access the peak flow especially since it's real high up in lift....so the typically .450-.500 range, small @.050 204-216... then talk to the grinder on the rest as it will relate to your final effective cranking pressure an octane requirement, tailoring the open close. I'm not a cam grinder, though I know about where to start for a specific build.

I'm interested in what you hear from cam grinders .
Cool old dodge.

-
Back