Mini-tubbed, what shocks do i need

-

Moparnutt340

Reaction score
Now that my car is mini-tubbed, I need shocks 2" shorter
I been trying to search online for what I need but no luck
I know many of you on here have the mini-tub, what rear shocks are you running ?
I have the relocation kit moved in 3.5" with offset rear shackles, stock mounts, and SS Springs

Part # and brand will be best
Just looking for a cheap shock right now until I can afford to get a good adjustable shock

Thanks

i thought the same shocks are used...mine has the relocation and has air shocks on it... if i can find the number off them would that help i have a 70 dart with 8 3/4

Now that my car is mini-tubbed, I need shocks 2" shorter
I been trying to search online for what I need but no luck
I know many of you on here have the mini-tub, what rear shocks are you running ?
I have the relocation kit moved in 3", stock mounts, and SS Springs

Part # and brand will be best
Just looking for a cheap shock right now until I can afford to get a good adjustable shock

Thanks
Keep the shocks you had on the car,til you can afford the adjustable.

Using the same shocks shouldn't be a problem. As mentioned here you can always get a set of adjustable shocks.

maybe this will help, mount styles at bottom of file. just measure compressed and extended length and mount style.
[ame]http://www.monroe.com/assets/downloads/english/08_MountingLengthSheet.pdf[/ame]

I had Monroe coil over shocks on the car and they are way too stiff.
I had to pull down on the rearend just to get them on the mount, then when I drop the car on the ground it don't budge. I drove it that way last year but it sits way too high.
When I sit it down with no shocks it sits about 2.5" lower and looks bad ***, that's where I would like it to sit.
As for the stiff shocks, I now have the stroker in the car and I need the rear to drop for traction.

I contacted the tech support at KYB and the shortest option they have to fit the Dart (KG5422) is only .43" shorter than the stock one they offer.
If I can't find a shorter shock I will just mod the lower mount and move it down 1.5" to run the KG5422

You want the shock longer than the fully extended drop length. I go in the +2" range minimum. Too long is better than too short!

If they aren't long enough, the shock may top out when are launching the car, which is VERY bad.

I had Monroe coil over shocks on the car and they are way too stiff.
I had to pull down on the rearend just to get them on the mount, then when I drop the car on the ground it don't budge. I drove it that way last year but it sits way too high.
When I sit it down with no shocks it sits about 2.5" lower and looks bad ***, that's where I would like it to sit.
As for the stiff shocks, I now have the stroker in the car and I need the rear to drop for traction.

I contacted the tech support at KYB and the shortest option they have to fit the Dart (KG5422) is only .43" shorter than the stock one they offer.
If I can't find a shorter shock I will just mod the lower mount and move it down 1.5" to run the KG5422
Mopars don,t squat for traction,with stock suspension.The longer shock the better so your leafs will spread and plant the tires.

Mopars don,t squat for traction,with stock suspension.The longer shock the better so your leafs will spread and plant the tires.

I'm not expecting it to squat for traction under load, I'm saying the rear is up so high now the car is jacked up in the rear.
I need it down lower to get proper weight transfer to the rear

Good point tho, so I don't want a shorter shock, I actually just need a weaker shock right ?
I'm going to buy a cheap set of shocks to toss in and see where the car sits then.
I def need to remove the coil overs that are in it now. They were the best before the mini-tub, held the car up nicely. Now they are just too stiff

I'll post my results once I change them out. Might be a while, car is going back to get the paint finished soon. Hopefully I will be driving it by end of July (fingers crossed)

Good point tho, so I don't want a shorter shock, I actually just need a weaker shock right ?
I'm going to buy a cheap set of shocks to toss in and see where the car sits then.

The shocks are not going to determine ride height, that is what the springs do. Where your car sits without the shocks is going to be where is sits with the shocks, as long as you're not using the coil overs.

Stock shocks may pull apart with the Super Stock springs as they did on my 68 dart with 002 & 003 leafs. I went with the Mopar Super Stock shocks which are longer. Andrew

Just for a future reference here incase that somebody has the same issue I did.... I spent all week installing the US car tool spring relocation kit, New bushings, 8 3/4 axle and repro 15" rallye wheels on my 70 dart. I had recently replaced the shocks on the car with the original 7 1/4 while I saved up and acquired parts for my conversion. I finished it all up a few nights ago, fired it up for a test drive and went about 50 feet before pulling back into the garage. The factory shocks only gave me about 2 inches of travel WITHOUT any people or items in the car before bottoming out. I searched here and on Google for a fix and came up empty. The only difference from my set up and most people is that I'm running the stock slant springs still. I measured my friends dad's chevelle, charger, triumph spitfire, 911 Targa...... Etc nothing seemed to fit. Searched through Monroe's vast online catalog and came up empty handed except for some RV/Camper shocks but that seemed like a bad idea. After calling it quits and leaving his shop for the night I was following my friend home in his '88 Suzuki samurai. I jokingly crawled up under to look and measure when we got to his place. My dart is 16" stud to stud at ride height and his samurai is 15 3/4! They fit PERFECTLY. Bought a set for $20 each and bolted them right on without modification. They feel like the calving might be a bit stiffer than the factory a body replacements. But I dont mind the little firmer ride. I loaded up my wife and two kids today to go for a ride and it never bottomed out once!

I went with shocks from an 84 D150 truck. My springs are move into the frame rails with sliders instead of shackles. I use SS springs too, when my car launches the front and rear both jump up a couple inches.

I went with shocks from an 84 D150 truck. My springs are move into the frame rails with sliders instead of shackles. I use SS springs too, when my car launches the front and rear both jump up a couple inches.

imperial shocks work great w. s/s springs. if u don`t believe me , go back and read the old race publications from mopar !

I believe you, I just always had luck with the truck shocks.

To the OP, read the above statement and look at the pics below. This should explain everything you need to know.

For the umpteenth time. You DO NOT want or need shorter shocks.

Attachments

• 660ft June 14th 2015.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 167
  • 60391970-DSC07017.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 176
-
Back