Modern fwd wheels?

-

the_fatman

Reaction score
I found a decent deal on some 17" srt 4 wheels. has anyone put a modern fwd wheel on their a-body?

:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout: <Sorry i like this gif.

what is factory offset for a stock a-body wheel? i found out the srt wheels are a 43mm offset, if i remeber right they are a positive offset wheel. the oldschool stuff has little to no stock offset right??????

you can measure your rims to get a size to think about.. straightedge on the rim and measure in towards the center

Dont know about the SRT wheels but the Enkies on our 94 Celica fit our 72 Duster good. I found out from a guy that helps with our Kart team. Dunno how he knew because he's a chevy dude. Anyway they do fit small bolt pattern mopar. Theyre 18's with 215/35r18 rubber. Dont know how real world driveability is though because it wasnt my personal favorite look for my car. But still better than 13in steel wheels. Good thing we found a set of American Slots that had been collecting dust for 30 years!!!! Maybe i can get a pic tommorow and post it??? Dunno how to work my wifes stupid camera!!!!

The problem with a lot of modern rims is the offset. Most A-body's use a backspace from 4-5", unless you're running larger diameter rims in which case you can get away with more backspace up front (but not really in the back).

But with SRT4 rims you have two problems. First, SRT4 rims are 5 x 100mm, not 5x4" or 5x4.5". 5x100 will not fit on a 5x4" car. Second, your 43mm offset works out to a backspace of 7.2", which is at least 2" too much for an A-body.

Unless you want to run 2" spacers/adaptors, I'd find another rim.

The problem with a lot of modern rims is the offset. Most A-body's use a backspace from 4-5", unless you're running larger diameter rims in which case you can get away with more backspace up front (but not really in the back).

But with SRT4 rims you have two problems. First, SRT4 rims are 5 x 100mm, not 5x4" or 5x4.5". 5x100 will not fit on a 5x4" car. Second, your 43mm offset works out to a backspace of 7.2", which is at least 2" too much for an A-body.

Unless you want to run 2" spacers/adaptors, I'd find another rim.

I dont know where you get a backspacing of 7.2" . SRT4 wheels are 17"X6" 43mm = 1.69" that makes backspacing about 5-1/4"

Y wont 5x100 fit it was my understanding that it was extremely close to a 4" bp

After looking a bit 5x100mm = 5x3.97" wouldn't think 0.03 would cause a problem.....

After looking a bit 5x100mm = 5x3.97" wouldn't think 0.03 would cause a problem.....

Yes it will cause a problem. It will cause big problems. It will cause potential problems that you will not want.

The hub register will also be metric, so the rim will not be supported by the hub. The lug studs will NOT be centered in the hole in the rim. The rim is NOT designed for a 7/16 lug stud. So what you end up with is a rim that physically bolts on, with improper offset, terrible runout, and improperly torqued fasteners. Due to the studs not being centered the lug nuts can NOT seat properly in the rim. Studs are not supposed to support the vehicles weight and with the improper rim they would.

I'm running a set of 40mm offset wheels on my car with some mods and they work fine. I've got an E body rear in it, so the high offset works out well in the back. The rear is just a touch too wide though, the pre 70 B body rear would pretty much put the wheels dead center in the wells which is what I'm looking for now. I had to run some pretty big spacers on the front though, 1.5" if I recall correctly. They're the bolt on style with their own studs pressed in that the wheel bolts to. You could correct the potential bolt pattern and hub mismatch with them as well, but you'd still have to come up with something for the rear (maybe custom axles with the bolt pattern you need?). I've had the wheels and spacers on for almost 2 years now and haven't had any problems. Checked the lugnuts a few times and they're still good and tight.

-
Back