Modern V/8's

-
Electric power makes a lot of sense in certain applications, just not all of them. For passenger cars doing mostly short trips it's much more efficient than IC engines. But professionals in the industry already know electric motors and batteries can't replace engines in long-distance transportation, especially things like OTR semi-trucks and freight trains as well as high-altitude large freight or passenger aircraft. Unless battery technology makes a huge leap forward in energy density (related to size and weight) this is the way things will be for the foreseeable future.

I will likely own an EV at some point to use as a daily commuter car but it won't be one I buy since I just straight-up don't like the design and excess of features in vehicles made in the last 3-5 years. Giant touch screen displays and chunky restrictive interiors aren't my thing. I also can't stand the lack of visibility and intrusive annoying safety aids like lane departure assist, low-speed collision detection and parallel parking assist. I can see how assisted emergency braking is nice but I'd rather just pay attention to the damn road. I will likely convert an older car, perhaps a less-desirable classic Mopar, to electric power and rock that.

Ford and GM are still investing in ICE. GM announced just the other day they are investing big money in a new generation small block. Stellantis, however the **** it's spelled, apparently is not.

They can put the power peak wherever they want by sizing and tuning the turbocharger system. This article should answer most of your questions:

Stellantis Whips Up a 500-HP Hurricane

My opinion mirrors @Professor Fate 's. Automakers don't know what's on the horizon with regulations and customer demands. Realistically it'll take a lot longer to go "full EV" than governments and climate loonies want us to (who, big surprise, have little to no actual technical knowledge and expertise). It's become a huge issue on LinkedIn, it's gotten really bad with EV zealots (usually with a sales, marketing etc. background) claiming it'll save the world and the actual engineers and scientists doing their best to call out the bullshit and explain the realities of not only EV adoption but emissions and environmental efforts overall.
They may put the peak where they want, but the actual amount of torque at said peak will still be proportionate to displacement.

With Chrysler dropping the hemi and offering some turbo charged V/6. GM is designing a new V/8 engine for the vette and its still gasoline powered, Ford is making improvements on their V/8 for the mustang. Is Chrysler getting out of the performance scene ? I'm not talking about the electric version of the challenger. It just seems odd that the other 2 are building performance engines and electric options for their cars. What happened to Chrysler building a 426 hemi challenger. And supposedly they are dropping the chargers as well. Makes me think that Chrysler doesn't think that they can compete with the new offerings from Ford and GM. With Ford announcing that they are going to continue to offer a V/8 for the next 5 - 8 years and GM the same, so I have read and heard . I think that Chrysler not having any V/8 offering is not good.
Chrysler is a smaller company, they can't afford to have too many platforms on the go, sounds like their jumping in with both feet to electric future and this six is a stop gap to that future.

They may put the peak where they want, but the actual amount of torque at said peak will still be proportionate to displacement.

True, but also proportional to boost which can be significant. That's more my point, when boost from a turbo comes into play with good sophisticated controls and plumbing the torque and HP characteristics can be modified a lot more than on a NA engine. Without a turbocharger you're pretty much limited to modifying hard parts like camshafts, cylinder heads and manifolds if you want to alter the output and that can be very expensive and labor-intensive on more modern engines especially how they're packaged into modern cars.

I'm excited for this new turbo I-6 but having it completely replace a V8 takes away some of the excitement. I am hoping at least to see them finally have a RWD performance car (with an IC engine) that weighs less than 2 tons.

True, but also proportional to boost which can be significant. That's more my point, when boost from a turbo comes into play with good sophisticated controls and plumbing the torque and HP characteristics can be modified a lot more than on a NA engine. Without a turbocharger you're pretty much limited to modifying hard parts like camshafts, cylinder heads and manifolds if you want to alter the output and that can be very expensive and labor-intensive on more modern engines especially how they're packaged into modern cars.

I'm excited for this new turbo I-6 but having it completely replace a V8 takes away some of the excitement. I am hoping at least to see them finally have a RWD performance car (with an IC engine) that weighs less than 2 tons.
I get what you're saying, but physics is physics. If you want a big power level out of a small displacement, you're gonna have a laggy deal that's soft down low. You're absolutely not going to get the off idle grunt and top end power of a big V8.

I get what you're saying, but physics is physics. If you want a big power level out of a small displacement, you're gonna have a laggy deal that's soft down low. You're absolutely not going to get the off idle grunt and top end power of a big V8.
They say it will make a least (405tq) 90% of it's 450tq peak from 2350 rpm to redline.

500+HP Hurricane I-6 Engine Coming to Jeep, Ram, Dodge

They say it will make a least (405tq) 90% of it's 450tq peak from 2350 rpm to redline.

500+HP Hurricane I-6 Engine Coming to Jeep, Ram, Dodge
Sure. I'm sure it will be a blast to drive. And I'm just crazy enough where I would like to see a road racer style Mopar with one of these engines.

I like weird ****. Especially when it's fast AF.

However. And this is the very core of my argument...pay attention here people. That 500 HP engine is boosted to 22-26 PSI. I don't need to run the numbers on this to know, if you equivalently boosted a gen3 hemi, you'd be way up north of 1000HP. It's just no comparison, broskis.

I'm not bashing the new engine. Fast engines are super cool. But there's no replacement for displacement. Not even boost.

Ford and GM are still investing in ICE. GM announced just the other day they are investing big money in a new generation small block. Stellantis, however the **** it's spelled, apparently is not.
It's a ploy to force us to repower our cars with LS power! :rofl: :rofl: :mob::mob:

VAFDR_01 Dec. 06 14.52.jpg

IMG_0924.jpg

I would do it. Thought seriously about it, but there's better chassis's to convert.
I would probably do an LS swap into a fox body Thunderbird. Always liked that body style and it has a lot more room than a fox body Mustang, plus most anything that will fit the Mustang will also work on a Thunderbird. Toss in a 6 speed stick and let the fun begin.

I would probably do an LS swap into a fox body Thunderbird. Always liked that body style and it has a lot more room than a fox body Mustang, plus most anything that will fit the Mustang will also work on a Thunderbird. Toss in a 6 speed stick and let the fun begin.
Would be fun. And you'd make Ferd loyalists angry so bonus

Our current governing body is attempting to sneak through our legislative body new laws banning the new car industry from building SO CALLED inefficient internal combustion engines by the year 2050 at the very latest, and if they have their way it could be *** early as 2035. Simply because our current CHIEF in charge believes all the lies about automobiles being the main cause of global warming, when in truth it is one of the least causes. when compared to the global cattle market which produces TONS of uncaptured methane gas each year. And yes methane does harm our environment much more so than the carbon emissions from current vehicles. Has anyone compared fuel mileage of a vehicle running on e85 as compared to regular non alcohol fuels? Last i checked its almost a 20 percent loss in mileage, sounds to me like we use more gas that way. OH well, just my humble opinions.

Don't forget to put in an 8 3/4 rear end

Somewhere in the late '70's-early '80's there was an issue of Popular Mechanics with the headline something like The Demise of the American V-8 or Rise & Fall of, & Chrysler w/ Lee Iacocca ended up commiting to a switch to almost exclusive FWD cars, wagons/pass. vans etc. What's old is new, odd how 30yrs later there were RWD GenIII Hemis supercharged running around on a Daimler platform, lol.

Our current governing body is attempting to sneak through our legislative body new laws banning the new car industry from building SO CALLED inefficient internal combustion engines by the year 2050 at the very latest, and if they have their way it could be *** early as 2035. Simply because our current CHIEF in charge believes all the lies about automobiles being the main cause of global warming, when in truth it is one of the least causes. when compared to the global cattle market which produces TONS of uncaptured methane gas each year. And yes methane does harm our environment much more so than the carbon emissions from current vehicles. Has anyone compared fuel mileage of a vehicle running on e85 as compared to regular non alcohol fuels? Last i checked its almost a 20 percent loss in mileage, sounds to me like we use more gas that way. OH well, just my humble opinions.
Wamp wamp wamp wamp wamp, wamp wamp wamp....wamp wamp wamp wamp wamp wamp...wamp wamp wamp!

Somewhere in the late '70's-early '80's there was an issue of Popular Mechanics with the headline something like The Demise of the American V-8 or Rise & Fall of, & Chrysler w/ Lee Iacocca ended up commiting to a switch to almost exclusive FWD cars, wagons/pass. vans etc. What's old is new, odd how 30yrs later there were RWD GenIII Hemis supercharged running around on a Daimler platform, lol.
Lee Iacocca put Chrysler in a good position with their K cars, etc. Then somebody got the government to lower the mileage standards. [exxon, gm, ford, Reagan ????] . It's called power.

Lee Iacocca put Chrysler in a good position with their K cars, etc. Then somebody got the government to lower the mileage standards. [exxon, gm, ford, Reagan ????] . It's called power.
Nobody EVER lowered mileage standards, including Reagan, the most that may have happened was a freeze on INCREASING the standards. Everyone purchasing a Viper paid the criminal "Gas Guzzler" tax, Genital Motors used a shitload of Isuzu, Toyota, & Daewoo cars to keep the CAFE numbers down, Furd had the usual re-badged Mazda offerings, Mopar the Mitsubishi's but almost disappeared other than the Colt Vista, & the Plymouth Laser/Eagle Talon + the very short lived Dodge Stealth(Mitsu 3000GT).
Technology saved the V-8 by returning higher mileage & reduced emissions, + actually increasing output, making it feasable to satisfy the demand.
Mopar Guys were left running leftovers, or pickups for V-8 RWD fulfillment.
P.S. almost forgot the Sapporo/Challenger cars the Laser/Talon replaced. Also brief..

Last edited:
Dan The Man asked: "What is a synthetic fuel consist of?" There are a number of fuels being developed that arer derived from biomass feedstocks so they are considered "Renewable" fuels. This is a whole subject in itself, but I will stick to "Synthetic" fuel. Ethanol is a renewable fuel maded from fook-based feedstocks, corn or sugarcane. The detriments of ethanol are energy content due to it being already oxygenated, but it does have good octane. But it is only a blend component with conventional gasoline. Ethanol can be dehydrated into ethylene and converted into hydrocarbon fuels including gasoline, jet fuel and diesel fuel, but it takes 2 gal of Ethanol to make 1 gal of hydrocarbon fuel.
A better way to produce renewable fuel is to use Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) or Forest Waste as feedstock. Gasify the feedstock to Carbon Monoxide (CO) and Hydrogen (H2). Then combine over a catalyst and convert CO + H2 into -CH2- groups (hydrocarbons) and water. This is called Fischer-Tropsch synthesis and I have been working in this area for 24 years. You can make OK gasoline this way, but I produce outstanding diesel and jet fuel this way. The diesel is water white, no odor, and 80 cetane, so it works great in any diesel engine. The jet fuel is perfect for blending with conventional jet fuel to may synthetic jet fuel that is being used by airlines all over the world in their quest to lower GHG emissions.
There are a few other renewable fuel production pathways that are being developed, but they are more expensive than the two discussed.
I tried to keep the chemistry simple, but there are lots of issues to discuss here.

-
Back